ryan_j

Ham radio

Whadja get?

Maybe we can show you how and point you to a license...

....or take it off his hands for 20 bux.... ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I went to the ham radio store in del. they wouldn't help me. So I went home and ordered one on amazon.

Just go for your license. It's the most inexpensive part of the hobby.

I went to the ham radio store in del. they wouldn't help me. So I went home and ordered one on amazon.

Not suprising, actually.  Its not that ham radio types aren't friendly-they're are a very friendly and talkative bunch...but ham radio is NOT CB - Bootleggers, pirates, or slims, i.e., people without licenses, are not welcome on the bands, and if we know you don't have a license, we will work with you, teach you, tutor you, etc to help get you that license, but we will NOT talk to you on-the-air until you get that license. 

There's a few reasons:  1 - we did it, so can you (a bit of a badge of honor/rite of passage, whatever), 2- Ham Radio is "self-policing"- we really dont want to be bothered by the FCC, and they really dont want to bother with us, and 3 - now that we have a ham radio license, we have something to lose-we are NOT supposed to be talking with unlicensed individuals on-the-air!  We can lose our own licenses over it! 

You cannot take it online although there are online practice tests. There are plenty of places that give the tests. Check your local ham clubs and stuff.

The UV82 gets very high ratings over at eham

Here is a site that gives how to and programming information for the UV82.

http://www.miklor.com/UV82/

Baofeng UV-82 / 82X
UV-82  VHF / UHF
UV-82X VHF / 220MHz

Miklor Site Search

UV-5R / UV-82  Comparison

Miklor Mailing List  

Baofeng UV82 UV82X UV82 UV82X Baofeng UV82 UV82X UV82 UV82X
Baofeng UV82 UV82X UV82 UV82X Baofeng UV82 UV82X UV82 UV82X
Introduction

New Owner User's Guide
                              Please Read this First

UV-82 / 82X

User FAQs

*   Drivers and USB Cables w/ Graphics

Errors and Error Messages

Keypad Layout & Functions

Users Manual   

Manual Keypad Programming

*   Programming via Keypad  

*   Programming Flowchart  

Menu Definitions - Detailed   PDF   HTML   (1-12-14)

Menu Definitions - Quick Reference

Programming - On The Fly

What is CTCSS/DCS

Scanning for CTCSS & DCS Tones

Manual Programming Hints

Software  

*   Factory OEM Software

*   CHIRP Software, FAQ & LIVE CD

Technical Section

Cables, Antennas, Pin Outs

Cable Loss / Attenuation Chart

Cloning

General Information

Repeater Guide for US Hams  

How a Repeater Works     video   

Support Sites

FCC Part 90 Certification                    (12-30-13)

FCC Type Acceptance/Certification

I bough a BaoFeng UV-82 Two-Way Radio

Like I said, nothing crazy.

Did you buy the programming cable with it Shawn?  Programming with the cable using CHIRP is the fastest and easiest way to program that radio.  http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php

I too did the same thing, I bought the radio(s) with the idea that they would be SHTF devices.  Then I decided I wanted to get my ticket anyway.  The tests are all based on a standard question pool.  I took the online tests regularly (for technician) ntil I had seen all the questions and knew 90% of the answers.  When I sat down to take the test locally, it took me 5 minutes to take and pass the test.  I'm quite sure the VE's (proctors) thought I cheated but they saw me read each question.

I tried to take the general test that night as well but failed miserably as I had not studied that exam at all.

You really can't cheat unless you have a cheat sheet. Tests are all scrambled. The guy next to you might not even have the same questions. Tech is easy. Even easier if you have an electronic background. General requires a tad more but not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

I'm a licensed amateur radio opterator here. My rig is a Yaesu FT-857 tied to a OCF dipole for HF, and a dual band comet GP-3 verticle for vhf/uhf. I don't use it much now, but when I do , I really enjoy operating digital modes on HF, usually PSK-31 on 20 meters. I use a Rigblaster and Ham Radio Deluxe for my PC setup.

I think having a license and ham radio is a good part of a prepardness plan. It is really the only stand-alone two way long distance communication option that you can go with that doesn't rely on external infrastructure (assuming you have a way of generating your own power).

I just wish more of my friends would get into it as part of my plan. Unfortunately if you don't have some kind of interest in learning about the hobby, its difficult to convince someone to jump in.

To get a license, all anyone needs to do is to read this manual http://www.arrl.org/general-class-license-manual and take the test. The manual is easy to understand, and isn't over the top techno-babble wise.

Ya need to get yourself the pocket repeater book. It covers the whole USA... worth every bit. Plus join the ARRL and you are good to go...

http://www.arrl.org/

Manual: http://www.arrl.org/shop/The-ARRL-Repeater-Directory-Pocket-sized-Edition/

After chatting with W2MC and a friend of a friend i'm going to get the

Yaesu FT-897D

Any recommendations on a mobile antenna for that rig that will allow both UHF/VHF and HF? I'm still a bit confused about antennas.

Do you plan to wire it through the car or just use a magnetic mount when necessary?

Any recommendations on a mobile antenna for that rig that will allow both UHF/VHF and HF? I'm still a bit confused about antennas.

Do you plan to wire it through the car or just use a magnetic mount when necessary?

You'll need separate antennas for VHF and HF.   You can get a combo VHF/UHF antenna.

I use a mag mount VHF/UHF antenna on my car.  I should have just drilled the car for a NMO mount antenna when I first decided to outfit it with a radio...but since the mag mount has already scratched the car all up, I'm just going to leave it.  

I'm going to use one of the little tarheel antennas for HF on my truck.  It's a fairly "big"(not tall, it's thick), so it would be too unsightly for me to put it on my car. 

My Yaesu FT-60R arrived today. My call sign still hasn't appeared in the FCC database, so can't transmit. I've tried listening in on all the local repeaters with no traffic. There's supposed to be a Bergen Amateur Radio Association Net at 8:30 tonight at 444.100, but nothing there either.

Can anyone recommend any active nets/ragchews accessible from NNJ?