ryan_j

Ham radio

PSE&G is on Motorola Type 2 SmartNet IIRC.

Do you still have that old scanner you were telling me about? you could try SJ Gas for Camden County, the freq. is 159.720 (mobiles to base) and 151.355 (base to mobiles)

i do. it's setting right here on the office desk. i'll give that a try. thanks man!!

Cherry Hill mall:

464.825 Security
151.700 Banana Republic
467.850 Charlotte Russe
467.925 Victoria's Secret

Garden State Pavilions Shopping:

467.925 Best Buy

464.310 or 464.315 Yellow Cab
47.640 First Student
451.300 Holcomb Bus Service
463.275 Cooper University Hospital Security

Lindenwold

153.955 Fire Operations
158.835 Fire Operations
155.535 Police Ops.

More VHF frequencies here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1774

Two months ago I sent a SWL (shortwave) report to "Voice of Korea" in DPRK (North Korea).

HAM's exchange QSL cards, I also exchange SWL cards for shortwave stations I receive. This is a true gem considering many SWL reports never make it to DPRK. You have to mark it "Via Beijing" to get around S. Korea inspecting (or destroying) it...

Today I received this in the mail. Included was a SWL card, copy of the Pyongyang Times, Korea Today magazine (comparable to TIME magazine only Militarized), and a small book authored by Kim John Il...

The hand written envelope was a nice personal touch..

Here are some pics:

post-6765-0-38219700-1440289317_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-93853400-1440289327_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-17070700-1440289338_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-27395200-1440289347_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-89045600-1440289361_thumb.jpg

that's pretty cool..........looks like they messed up on part of the addy though.

Do you mean my address? I distorted it before posting.

I'm also waiting on a card from Radio Havana.

So far I've gotten cards back from a good 18-20 foreign SWL stations, China Radio International sent me some art printed on rice paper and a few other little trinkets

tinman22, Sorry for the late response. Thank you very much for the information on the dipole antenna. What type of range can you get from that device? Also is it possible to purchase that type of antenna? It looks pretty involved to make especially since I am a novice when it comes to Ham Radio. Thank you for your help.

range will depend on height of antenna ,location, and power . on 8 watts I can hit certain repeaters that are 10 to 15 miles away with my current set up. as for simplex and direct contacts. I have discovered I have something wrong in the programming and havent made a simplex contact yet. but I was informed this past tuesday that I can definately make it 5 miles from my 20 with a solid signal ( I was heard but couldnt hear anyone else).. so as for distance without a repeater i'm still working on that

as for buying  a dipole i'm sure theres placed out there to buy one pre made.i'd say google 2m dipole ( or what ever frequency your planning on using it on) and see whats available. I just happened to have some wire coax and pvc laying around so it made it quite easy to assemble. I just need to get a meter so I can confirm the swrs but i'm pretty sure they are close to where they need to be I may try to get my antenna up more later today. if I do i'll try to snap some pictures to show how I did it even though its not 100% correct it does work

Do you mean my address? I distorted it before posting.

I'm also waiting on a card from Radio Havana.

So far I've gotten cards back from a good 18-20 foreign SWL stations, China Radio International sent me some art printed on rice paper and a few other little trinkets

i did. and i was joking too, lolol.  :D

Dont know where a link is, but a shortwave listeners report is like a QSL card from a listener, rather than the ham radio op on the other end of your conversation.  Yes, there ARE people who listen to amateur radio and dont, or can't talk.  That's what the card is...he heard you talking to, say W1AW at ##:## utc on xyz date, with signal reports for both stations.

Note - while these mean essentially nothing to us, they may be very valuable to the QSL'er....many countries won't grant an amateur radio license until you show that you can operate and LISTEN....and the proof of it is the reception of these cards (10-20 confirmed receptions; I forget exactly which), so generally I return them, noting that I confirm the SWL reception report from xxx that I was in communications with W1AW on ##:## on xyz date.

W2MC

Dont know where a link is, but a shortwave listeners report is like a QSL card from a listener, rather than the ham radio op on the other end of your conversation.  Yes, there ARE people who listen to amateur radio and dont, or can't talk.  That's what the card is...he heard you talking to, say W1AW at ##:## utc on xyz date, with signal reports for both stations.

Note - while these mean essentially nothing to us, they may be very valuable to the QSL'er....many countries won't grant an amateur radio license until you show that you can operate and LISTEN....and the proof of it is the reception of these cards (10-20 confirmed receptions; I forget exactly which), so generally I return them, noting that I confirm the SWL reception report from xxx that I was in communications with W1AW on ##:## on xyz date.

W2MC

Correct, for many hams they are essentially worthless but for someone who does a lot of short wave listening/monitoring collecting the cards can become an interesting side-hobby.

I also return SWL reports for ham QSO's and at one time beacon reports on 10M.

Something I should add, when sending SWL reports white-out "Two-Way".

range will depend on height of antenna ,location, and power . on 8 watts I can hit certain repeaters that are 10 to 15 miles away with my current set up. as for simplex and direct contacts. I have discovered I have something wrong in the programming and havent made a simplex contact yet. but I was informed this past tuesday that I can definately make it 5 miles from my 20 with a solid signal ( I was heard but couldnt hear anyone else).. so as for distance without a repeater i'm still working on that

as for buying  a dipole i'm sure theres placed out there to buy one pre made.i'd say google 2m dipole ( or what ever frequency your planning on using it on) and see whats available. I just happened to have some wire coax and pvc laying around so it made it quite easy to assemble. I just need to get a meter so I can confirm the swrs but i'm pretty sure they are close to where they need to be I may try to get my antenna up more later today. if I do i'll try to snap some pictures to show how I did it even though its not 100% correct it does work

Thank you for the help!

Two months ago I sent a SWL (shortwave) report to "Voice of Korea" in DPRK (North Korea).

HAM's exchange QSL cards, I also exchange SWL cards for shortwave stations I receive. This is a true gem considering many SWL reports never make it to DPRK. You have to mark it "Via Beijing" to get around S. Korea inspecting (or destroying) it...

Today I received this in the mail. Included was a SWL card, copy of the Pyongyang Times, Korea Today magazine (comparable to TIME magazine only Militarized), and a small book authored by Kim John Il...

The hand written envelope was a nice personal touch..

Here are some pics:

attachicon.gifP1020594.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020596.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020597.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020599.JPG

attachicon.gifP1020595.JPG

WOW!

Impressive....Now if you could get a P5 QSL card....

W2MC

That sounds like a nice little rig to start with. Might be a pita to program but should work well once it's all set up

if i get time tomorrow, i'm gonna power it up to see if it works. he found it in his garage while he was on a cleaning binge. if it does, i'm gonna do what i previously said i don't wanna do......and get my technicians license. still gonna keep messing with the cb's too.......but i figure a freebie is someone trying to tell me something. :)

i need a new ht capable of at least 2 meters i like the icom  id-51 buts its expesive and not sure if ill use d star much. i only have a tech class license does any one have any nice ht recomendations that is easy to program i would love to use the mobile rig i have as a base station i have a nice powersupply for it but it wont key up the repeater its a yaesu ft-8000

i need a new ht capable of at least 2 meters i like the icom  id-51 buts its expesive and not sure if ill use d star much. i only have a tech class license does any one have any nice ht recomendations that is easy to program i would love to use the mobile rig i have as a base station i have a nice powersupply for it but it wont key up the repeater its a yaesu ft-8000

I bought a Yeasu FT-60 a few months ago and I'm very happy with it.  It's a tried and true model as it's been out for a number of years.  Easy to program and feels really solid.  Almost all the reviews I've seen on it praise it for holding up over the years.  It's not going to have all the extras the ID-51 is going to have but at about $150 you wont get too hurt either if you decide later you want something with more features.

On August 21 I left my Yaesu VX8DR at the Sussex Miner's ballpark. Called the next day and a lady whose desk was 10 feet from the lost and found box could not be bothered to get off her ass to see if my radio was there. Sunday was busy but I drove to Skylands Stadium and as luck would have it I entered the premises with the young lady who actually found the radio. "I saw it yesterday in the lost and found box, where I put it Friday night."

If you found something that was obviously valuable under those circumstances would you put it into a box in open view of passers by, among the cheap sunglasses and caps, or somehow try to secure it?

Anyway the radio was not there. "Justin must have seen it and brought it to a safe location," the young lady said. Justin did not respond to pages or to phone messages although he was allegedly working that day. 

To make a long story short I drove up there three more times and called at least six times. Nobody ever returned my call despite promises to do so. The last time I was there, yesterday, the young lady told me that "Justin" did not know where the radio was and had not seen it.

I would have felt better if the girl had told me she never saw the damn radio. I would have come up empty in L&F and that would have been that. But to think of the all-around stupidity and lack of caring about customers: the office lady, the one who found the HT and left it out in the open, the mythical Justin, and those other 3-4 people I spoke with by phone. Basically nobody gave a shit.

Don't get me wrong, it was 100% my fault. I've been losing things since I was a kid. But still...

On August 21 I left my Yaesu VX8DR at the Sussex Miner's ballpark. Called the next day and a lady whose desk was 10 feet from the lost and found box could not be bothered to get off her ass to see if my radio was there. Sunday was busy but I drove to Skylands Stadium and as luck would have it I entered the premises with the young lady who actually found the radio. "I saw it yesterday in the lost and found box, where I put it Friday night."

If you found something that was obviously valuable under those circumstances would you put it into a box in open view of passers by, among the cheap sunglasses and caps, or somehow try to secure it?

Anyway the radio was not there. "Justin must have seen it and brought it to a safe location," the young lady said. Justin did not respond to pages or to phone messages although he was allegedly working that day. 

To make a long story short I drove up there three more times and called at least six times. Nobody ever returned my call despite promises to do so. The last time I was there, yesterday, the young lady told me that "Justin" did not know where the radio was and had not seen it.

I would have felt better if the girl had told me she never saw the damn radio. I would have come up empty in L&F and that would have been that. But to think of the all-around stupidity and lack of caring about customers: the office lady, the one who found the HT and left it out in the open, the mythical Justin, and those other 3-4 people I spoke with by phone. Basically nobody gave a shit.

Don't get me wrong, it was 100% my fault. I've been losing things since I was a kid. But still...

if they had hands on it, and it vanished fromt he l&f box, sounds like they owe you a radio.

if they had hands on it, and it vanished fromt he l&f box, sounds like they owe you a radio.

I disagree. I was the knucklehead. I left a radio with $400+ worth of value (add-on battery, antenna, manual) in my cup holder. I was the ultimate asshole. But there's a lesson here somewhere that has nothing to do with my stupid radio.

I've been visiting my ailing father in Hoboken a lot. There's a house between Garden and Bloomfield, on the north side of 12th Street, that grows concord grapes in their back yard that spill over the fence into plain view. The grapes are visible and easily accessible from the sidewalk and nobody would see me eating them but I don't take them BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MINE. If everybody felt that way we'd all be better off.

I disagree. I was the knucklehead. I left a radio with $400+ worth of value (add-on battery, antenna, manual) in my cup holder. I was the ultimate asshole. But there's a lesson here somewhere that has nothing to do with my stupid radio.

I've been visiting my ailing father in Hoboken a lot. There's a house between Garden and Bloomfield, on the north side of 12th Street, that grows concord grapes in their back yard that spill over the fence into plain view. The grapes are visible and easily accessible from the sidewalk and nobody would see me eating them but I don't take them BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MINE. If everybody felt that way we'd all be better off.

I can loan you a Motorola Saber (VHF only) and program it for you, they have new batteries from 2013 and hold a charge for 10-12 hours. They are cheap police surplus so I don't mind loaning one, just cover the S&H from South Jersey. They cover the whole VHF ham band and part of the industrial/business band.

Only thing I don't have is individual charges for them only the large "gang chargers". You can grab a charger off ebay for $10 or so.

They are System Sabers similar to the ones below:

135114.jpg

Let me know and sorry to hear of your loss!

I can loan you a Motorola Saber (VHF only) and program it for you, they have new batteries from 2013 and hold a charge for 10-12 hours. They are cheap police surplus so I don't mind loaning one, just cover the S&H from South Jersey. They cover the whole VHF ham band and part of the industrial/business band.

Only thing I don't have is individual charges for them only the large "gang chargers". You can grab a charger off ebay for $10 or so.

They are System Sabers similar to the ones below:

135114.jpg

Let me know and sorry to hear of your loss!

Thanks, compare. As they say it's only money. 

I've ordered a Yaesu FT-1DR, which I should get early next week. Looking to get into HF before T'giving.