ryan_j

Ham radio

Count me in. I have given two licensing class in the past few years, along with the technician test at the end. So if there was enough serious interest, I could give a class and/or schedule an exam session.

I'm part of the South Jersey Radio Assn; we give ham radio exams in West Berlin on the second Wednesday of each month.  

http://www.sjra.org:8243/basic-page/amateur-radio-license-exams

I am studying online for the Ham Radio test. I am also looking for a ham radio to put in my BoB and the Yaesu VX 6R Handheld Receiver 3 Band Transmitter was recommended. "The VX-6R is an ultra-rugged 144/430 MHz FM Hand-Held featuring wide receiver coverage, JIS7 submersibility, the Yaesu-exclusive Emergency Automatic Identification (EAI) system, and ultra-simple keyboard access to important features. New on the VX-6R is the One-Touch Direct Memory Recall feature, that allows you to recall ten favorite memories with a single button press, just like on your car stereo. The VX-6R comes equipped with a high-capacity 1400 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery Pack."

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1484&FileCatID=38&FileName=VX%2D6R%5FBrochure.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

Any thoughts on this radio or other radios I should consider?

Here's a thought:

O.E.M. and R.A.C.E.S. will probably take-over any repeater system operating with emergency back-up power that's bought and paid for with tax dollars.  So you might want to look in the book to see IF they're connected to either entity, as dollars to donuts the frequencies will be run as a "closed net".  If the SHTF, you're gonna be on simplex, so figure-out a way to rig-up as short a lead as possible from the transmitter to the antenna, and a magnet-mount on a car roof or old steel filing cabinet is much better than a 1/4 wave rubber-duckie!

Dave

Former Deputy Coordinator for Communications

Old Bridge Office of Emergency Management

I am studying online for the Ham Radio test. I am also looking for a ham radio to put in my BoB and the Yaesu VX 6R Handheld Receiver 3 Band Transmitter was recommended. "The VX-6R is an ultra-rugged 144/430 MHz FM Hand-Held featuring wide receiver coverage, JIS7 submersibility, the Yaesu-exclusive Emergency Automatic Identification (EAI) system, and ultra-simple keyboard access to important features. New on the VX-6R is the One-Touch Direct Memory Recall feature, that allows you to recall ten favorite memories with a single button press, just like on your car stereo. The VX-6R comes equipped with a high-capacity 1400 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery Pack."

http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=1484&FileCatID=38&FileName=VX%2D6R%5FBrochure.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

Any thoughts on this radio or other radios I should consider?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0066.html

The Yaesu is nice (i've had a VX-5R for years), but some thoughts:

5 watts is kinda limiting-so is the short antenna

I use handhelds infrequently - usually at shows and events.  almost never otherwise

mobiles arent very expensive and are a whole lot more versitile

the cheap chinese handhelds work well, and you can buy 3-4 for $100...for example:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=baofeng&sprefix=bao%2Caps%2C225

Jon

W2MC - yes, that IS my callsign

Been reading the posts and Comments.. I have much interest in this...

I like Nicks Wire in tree Stealth antenna (brilliant) in a SHTF situation. Does this really work as well as an areal antenna. Is the key height or length of total ant wire or a combo of both. Running 1 lead up a tree and the other across a roof line help at all?

For us laymen can someone in plain English explain the different frequencies and there purpose.

For example. If i wanted to be able to communicate great distances in a SHTF situation what would be an optimal setup for let say 1000 - 1500 bucks.

ADDED: are mobile units as powerful as base units..

Geeze, haven't seen one of them in decades. Use to know a place that imported them buggers years ago. Hah! I think I still have a K40 somewhere!

Budz keep nagging me to hit 10 meters mobile, but only have vhf/uhf in truck. One of these days if I can kick myself in the arse to get back on hf.. Maybe..

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Nick, I know you know how to gather this stuff seperately, but they have a cap kit on ebay for the 2510....

Electrolytic capacitors kit: Uniden HR2510 / President Lincoln (PB-111AB

After chatting with W2MC and a friend of a friend i'm going to get the Yaesu FT-897D

That's a $1000 rig. Not sure I want to get into it that bad... ;)

They got a $40 off coupon till end of March... (Edit: corrected from 50 to 40)

I figure go big or go home for me.... I want this to have certain abilities.

plus it has buttons and lights :facepalm:

Heh, the pretty LEDs always wow me over the edge. But seriously, if you go new, get that coupon. Correction, it's 40 bux!!! My bad!

The Icom 718 is a general coverage HF rig. I have seen these selling on ebay for $500 used. What is good about the 718, there is jack in the back for a direct hookup to a Signalink USB. That device will open the digital world for you with PSK31 and other digital modes. It is highly rated and modestly priced about $100.

I would suggest getting a SSB CB radio, in case of an emergency. You can talk to people who don't have a ham license. The truckers still use channel 19 and they can be the eyes and ears for you if you need know road conditions and gas station information/availability. With SSB your signal will carry much further on groundwave than a plain AM rig.

Ground wave can be 30 to 50 miles with longer distances possible. You can even talk much further under Skip conditions, this can carry your signal 1000 miles or more various times of the year, although the FCC says talking skip is illegal. I don't think anyone has gotten busted for it.

I suggest having a couple of those 'FRS' radios in your bug out bag or trunk to talk to others in your group who are not ham radio operators. You can pass them around if you want to go hiking or camping and keeping in touch with everyone.

Resources.

Youtube has many ham related videos. From reviews, to step by step setting up a radio. How to do digital comms. Ecomms, packet,antenna projects, manpacks, qrp.....you name it is there for the asking.

www.eham.net  is an excellent resource. They have forums of all types. They also have interesting articles. And they have a reviews sections that is very good. They even have an emergency communications forum.

www.randl.com   is ham radio store located in Hamilton Ohio about an hour from me. You can order online, they have 'daily deals' . And sell new and used equipment. The sales people are very knowledgeable too. Sometimes they offer free shipping. No I don't work for them, but been a long time customer.

I buy a lot of stuff from Ham Radio Outlet.  They are right over the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Newark, DE.  Pretty soon I'll be able to hit the Ham Radio Outlet, and then Cabelas.  My bank account is really going to hate for it though. 

Zero sales tax, and no shipping costs. 

I have been thinking about getting into this. I have a couple questions though.

1. Do you have to run a huge antenna to get good signal or can I use a hand radio?

2. What is a good entry level rig that gets very good signal?

3. Is there any classes offered in Gloucester County?

Thank you for your help!

1.  Read the whole thread - this question was covered.   The short answer -  depends what you want to do - short antenna = VHF/UHF = "line of sight-20-30 miles tops, though repeaters increase this.  Long antenna = HF = worldwide bands.  See 

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

2.  A "good" radio depends what you want to do with it.  VHF/UHF radios are different from HF radios, tho there are some that cover both frequency bands.  Handheld radios are extremely limited in what you can do with 'em. The 'big three' in amateur radio are Icom/Yeasu/Kenwood.

3.  Check   

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

there is one listed in Tabernacle NJ (Burlington County) in April.

EDIT - fixed links

I bought a ham radio. I have no idea how to program it. Now it's sitting out in my garage. I had no I tension of talking on it at all. I just wanted in the event of an emergency. The local shop was absolutely no help at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought a ham radio. I have no idea how to program it. Now it's sitting out in my garage. I had no I tension of talking on it at all. I just wanted in the event of an emergency. The local shop was absolutely no help at all.

What model is it? Check Youtube for how to operate and program the radio videos. Many good ham radio forums at www.eham.net

If you don't have a license, chances are they won't talk to you. They might even growl at ya. We are finicky that way.

Two things worked JA from the car on ten meters last Wednesday at around six pm from the GSP heading north...5/5-4/4 with QSB... Last cycle I worked a few vk's on ten as well

Those round cannot be pulled....they are crimped so tit they will NOT come out....

Crap!!!! What ya think about drilling them... Sorry, off topic.

What is SSB? Is it all voice?

What is the way to go if you do not want to do code and want to do voice and want the ability to go USA, what about Global?

SSB = Single Side Band = voice.

Passing a Morse Code exam is no longer required for an amateur radio license.  See

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

That's a  shame, Shawn...The problem is that 'in case of an emergency' is no time to learn how to program the radio.