ryan_j

Ham radio

Currently studying for Technician with the ARRL book.. Somehow randomly became interested in this when I started looking at simple walkie talkies. Dusted off an old scanner I had and started listening to 2m and figured why not get involved. Looking forward to possibly connecting with you guys when I get my license

much cell phone service was down here after the storm a couple weeks ago.

Of course. But under those same circumstances amateur radio is not going to save you or allow you to check up on your parents. 

Of course. But under those same circumstances amateur radio is not going to save you or allow you to check up on your parents. 

so if i have a radio here at the shop, and whomever i wanna check on has a radio at their location....and we're in range for unit to unit comms......you're telling me i won't be able to check on them?

so if i have a radio here at the shop, and whomever i wanna check on has a radio at their location....and we're in range for unit to unit comms......you're telling me i won't be able to check on them?

I'd think that would work but you'd probably want to establish the channels you will transmit on first. If the channels are busy, it may take some time to make contact.

You could also use a handheld VHF, like a Sporty's or an iCom. Not exactly FCC compliant use, but who cares in a crisis......... Lots of idle spectrum to use. My expectation though it that ypu'd want a base station antenna in place. Ground to ground comms would be crappy without some elevation.

I would stick with SSB sideband, upper or lower in the 30-40 channel range. Yes, as long as you and the other station are within range you will be able to communicate.

I'd think that would work but you'd probably want to establish the channels you will transmit on first. If the channels are busy, it may take some time to make contact.

You could also use a handheld VHF, like a Sporty's or an iCom. Not exactly FCC compliant use, but who cares in a crisis......... Lots of idle spectrum to use. My expectation though it that ypu'd want a base station antenna in place. Ground to ground comms would be crappy without some elevation.

Cap. is looking to stay 100% legal.

Yes, you could likely get away with VHF but to stay legal it would need to be MURS radios (approved ones) on MURS frequencies. The approved MURS radio are not cheap...if you load up unapproved equipment on MURS and someone decides to make an issue out of it you might have a problem...

Besides MURS you could get a VHF simplex frequency coordinated but that's not cheap/feasible for most people... usually you only see companies with a need for heavy two-way communication shell out the cash for licenses/equipment...

Hey 1LtCAP I wanted to get my amateur license from age 14. Purchased various study guides every 10 years or so, even learned code at one point, but I put the books down after a month or so. Then late last year at age 60 I got the bug and used HamTestOnline with one of the print study guides as a backup. Within a few weeks of studying 15-30 minutes per day 4-5 times per week I was ready to take the test. Got either 34 or 35 right -- the Sussex club doesn't tell you your score. If I could do it at age 60 with everything that's on my plate you can certainly do it. Watch one less TV show per day and you can probably be ready in two weeks.

It's a fun, fun hobby. You can take it as far as you like, up to "PhD level" as many amateurs have. The only problem I encountered was a general lack of information on how exactly to get on the air, the equipment you'll need, etc. But if you're more outgoing than I am you can probably find someone local who can help you out. Also the guys on here are extremely helpful. 

Yes, you could likely get away with VHF but to stay legal it would need to be MURS radios (approved ones) on MURS frequencies. The approved MURS radio are not cheap...if you load up unapproved equipment on MURS and someone decides to make an issue out of it you might have a problem...

Besides MURS you could get a VHF simplex frequency coordinated but that's not cheap/feasible for most people... usually you only see companies with a need for heavy two-way communication shell out the cash for licenses/equipment...

this. i know that the fcc, or whomever regulates this stuff isn't out there just looking for law breakers. but in my own mind, i need to keep it legal. it's how i was raised.

Currently studying for Technician with the ARRL book.. Somehow randomly became interested in this when I started looking at simple walkie talkies. Dusted off an old scanner I had and started listening to 2m and figured why not get involved. Looking forward to possibly connecting with you guys when I get my license

www.hamexam.org is your friend  :superman:

Yup. I get that. My scenario takes place after the SHTF. Not just day to day or even a "Sandy" situation. If I am 'out' I need to be able to communicate with my wife and kids. I wouldn't just abuse 122.750 MHz air to air to say hi. The same logic would apply to carry after social order breakdown. Anyone here going to worry about NJAC if lawless chaos is the new normal?

In normal times, yes. Abide by the law. In a survival situation, do what you need to do.

Yup the dipole is for the baofeng. I basically had some old rg 8 coax laying around and some wire and conduit. I took a 3/4 cpvc electrical conduit 90 and a 10 foot piece of pipe put them together. Then I cut 2 pc of solid wire 19 inches long... I think what I had is 12 Guage wire. I screwed 1 piece on top and one on the bottom of one end of the 90. I hacked off the pl 259 connector and put the center wire on the top element where I screwed it to the pvc and the outer shield wire to the lower element in the same fashion. Used some liquid tape to seal the coax where I split it so water doesn't get in the coax and I stuck it in the air. Now I don't have a 2m meter to check swrs so I tried using my 11m meter. It is not accurate since it says the radio is doing 10 watts and the swrs are 1.7..... I'm. Assuming they are in a safe zone and I defiantly make the local machine better than off the rubber ducky.good luck with your test and hope the info helps

It gave me a better signal into the newton repeater from my home 20. And I can pick up the Budd lake repeater from the same location. Not sure if I can hit the machine though since I did the dipole shortly after I got the radio i usually plug into that. I can do some testing and get back to you on that. I haven't done a lot of talking just alot of listening.

I cannot say I've noticed any difference on my Yaesu HT between the aftermarket whip antenna I purchased a few days after getting the radio, and either the wire dipole or the copper-tube "trombone" antenna for 2m/70cm. 

Is either the dipole or trombone mounted outside higher than ground level? I remember you had the copper pipe one with you the night I took my exam. My dipole is about 15 feet above ground I have intentions of getting it up in a tree near the house.just now heard a couple gents talking on I believe the Hopatcong repeater as I pulled into the home 20 on the 771 antenna. I'll.have to do some testing and mapping between the 3 antennas to see distances and quality capabilities.newtonian Maybe we can get a simplex chat going one day to see what works best since we are only about 10 or so miles apart as the crow flies

Is either the dipole or trombone mounted outside higher than ground level? I remember you had the copper pipe one with you the night I took my exam. My dipole is about 15 feet above ground I have intentions of getting it up in a tree near the house.just now heard a couple gents talking on I believe the Hopatcong repeater as I pulled into the home 20 on the 771 antenna. I'll.have to do some testing and mapping between the 3 antennas to see distances and quality capabilities.newtonian Maybe we can get a simplex chat going one day to see what works best since we are only about 10 or so miles apart as the crow flies

I've had both the wire and copper pipe up about 7-8 feet outside. The "trombone" is supposedly an indoor antenna. It's now hanging in my attic. I should really do the experiment and switch antennas during a contact.

BTW I regularly hit the Split Rock and Hopatcong repeaters with the whip alone. On a good day I get a couple in the Port Jervis area, and rarely one machine in the Pokies.

Which frequency would we use if going simplex? I'd like to try that as well.

The HFers reading this are probably laughing :)

I'll have to look into what frequency probably 146.5200 to start then if we have to move change from there. I need to put names on the channels or make up a list to reference. I think I hear the most chatter on 147.985 not sure I have split rock programmed in. I'll have some time this weekend to try if your available. Probably out of the area till after 1 tomorrow and Sunday a little ride on the horses. Other than that I should be around

question. if i wanted to try to listen in on say......pse&g.....to find out what the hell they're digging out here again? i found frequencies. but there's bunches of shit listed that i don't understand.

System ID List
System ID   Connect Tone   272C   138.46

question. if i wanted to try to listen in on say......pse&g.....to find out what the hell they're digging out here again? i found frequencies. but there's bunches of shit listed that i don't understand.

System ID List

System ID   Connect Tone   272C   138.46

PSE&G is on Motorola Type 2 SmartNet IIRC.

Do you still have that old scanner you were telling me about? you could try SJ Gas for Camden County, the freq. is 159.720 (mobiles to base) and 151.355 (base to mobiles)