ryan_j

Ham radio

hey....that azden i was given. it's got no antenna. the connector looks like the connectors i use for the leads on my labscope. when i read through the pdf file i found nothing refering to the connector type. anyone here got a clue?

It should have a SO-239 connector on the back, Universal Radio lists it as "SO-239" connector...

Check this page: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/so2adapt.html

That lists just about all (common) SO239/PL259 connectors and adapters

BTW, now that I've abandoned all hope of ever seeing my Yaesu VX-8DR again I have a couple of things to sell:

1. original antenna + 6m extender ($20 value)

2. original battery ($40)

3. manual/user's guide

4. Glossy fold-out quick guide and pocket guide -- indispensible ($25)

5. Programming software and cable ($60)

6. Original wall charger (???)

The VX-8DR was/is a great radio. Check out the reviews on eham.net. If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket you could do a lot worse.

Everything I'm offering is very lightly used or not used at all. It all looks new.

If anyone wants these check the retail prices (the figures above are off the top of my head) and make me an offer for everything. I can't be bothered selling this piecemeal.

It should have a SO-239 connector on the back, Universal Radio lists it as "SO-239" connector...

Check this page: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/so2adapt.html

That lists just about all (common) SO239/PL259 connectors and adapters

thanks man. took a closer look at it today. it's an adapter. the end screwed onto the radio looks like a standard cb type plug, while the end that the antenna jack goes into is a female bnc. ug255 looks like the male version of that.

on the plus side....there's the magnetic base, with a ferule and nut. the guy that gave it to me said i just need to install a piece of wire of the right length? to have a good antenna? he rattled off a formula, but i don't remember it, lolol

http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

I have one I bought several years ago, it has withstood several storms and is still in good working order. These are machined elements and will last many years if installed correctly. The only issue is every 2-3 years I need to tighten the elements...I've often wondered how thread locker would work on these but haven't tried it.

now i'm feeling stupid...that doesn't look roof mountable? i thought i needed to keep the antenna as close to center of the roof of the truck as i could?

Oh, your mounting it on the car...

In that case, a mag mount should work.

I have an NMO mount on my truck, if you are not looking to drill into the cab roof the mag mount is a much better option.

The J-pole really sin't car mountable...those are great for base/home use..

If you post up a picture of the mag mount you have we might be able to point you I the direction for an antenna that would fit the base. Could probably get an antenna for less than $25

DOH!!!!

i guess it woulda been too easy for me to think of that my own dam self, lololol

i've had the cb cranked up nearly all day today. now i see why some of you guys are kinda being sarcastic about it.

holy shit!! some people on there need to be stabbed in the throat! it went quiet for a bit, and a lady customer came in to pick up her car.....and suddenly the cb screams to life as some guy's calling another guy a pussy mfer blablablabla. yep......i won't be using 19 when i install a mobile unit. sheesh!!

i've had the cb cranked up nearly all day today. now i see why some of you guys are kinda being sarcastic about it.

holy shit!! some people on there need to be stabbed in the throat! it went quiet for a bit, and a lady customer came in to pick up her car.....and suddenly the cb screams to life as some guy's calling another guy a pussy mfer blablablabla. yep......i won't be using 19 when i install a mobile unit. sheesh!!

hope she didn't flip out on you Cap :D

Well, now you know it works. Use a channel with little/no activity between the mobile and base you shouldn't have to put up with too much of that. Most of the foul mouth talk seems to stay under channel 26-28 and most is on AM not SSB (LSB/USB).

I'm glad you didn't leave channel 6 on in the shop!!! 19 can be bad but on 6 a sailor can't compete...

hope she didn't flip out on you Cap :D

Well, now you know it works. Use a channel with little/no activity between the mobile and base you shouldn't have to put up with too much of that. Most of the foul mouth talk seems to stay under channel 26-28 and most is on AM not SSB (LSB/USB).

I'm glad you didn't leave channel 6 on in the shop!!! 19 can be bad but on 6 a sailor can't compete...

i was mostly leaving it on to verify the antenna actually can recieve, and to see if i could get an idea of range...at least on the rx side. farthest away i actually heard anyone state a position was the rt70 exit from rt295. that's about 6 miles from my shop i think, give or take a mile or two.

now that i know the antenna's good, i'll pick another channel, and see what kind of tx range i can get i think.

For those on VHF and UHF - Particularly SSB - The September VHF Contest is THIS WEEKEND - Sept 12-13

Begins 1800 UTC Saturday and runs through 0259 UTC Monday (September 12-14, 2015)  We (EDT) are four hours behind UTC so its 2:00 PM Saturday afternoon to 10:59 pm Sunday night

I will be operating from High Knob, about 25 miles northwest of the delaware water gap.

More info about the contest is at:

http://www.arrl.org/september-vhf

For those on VHF and UHF - Particularly SSB - The September VHF Contest is THIS WEEKEND - Sept 12-13

Begins 1800 UTC Saturday and runs through 0259 UTC Monday (September 12-14, 2015)  We (EDT) are four hours behind UTC so its 2:00 PM Saturday afternoon to 10:59 pm Sunday night

I will be operating from High Knob, about 25 miles northwest of the delaware water gap.

More info about the contest is at:

http://www.arrl.org/september-vhf

Thanks for the reminder!

I always forget dates and enjoy working 2M SSB. Hopefully I'll get to work you on 2M SSB with the Yagi :)

Thanks for the reminder!

I always forget dates and enjoy working 2M SSB. Hopefully I'll get to work you on 2M SSB with the Yagi :)

Back from the knob....We were operating at W2EA - hopefully we worked you!

Back from the knob....We were operating at W2EA - hopefully we worked you!

I wasn't able to load up the gear today as I was busy with some other things, how many stations did you guys get?

From Dec 12 to 13 is the ARRL 10m contest, hope too work you on my favourite band :)

Hello to everyone - the NJ QSO Party is this weekend; and K2AA/R will be on the air!

The NJ QSO Party runs Saturday, 19 September (12:00 Noon to 11:59 PM) and Sunday, 20 September (10:00 AM to 4:00 PM).

Ken - K2WB and Jon - W2MC will be operating as a ROVER station using the South Jersey Radio Association club call of K2AA during the QSO Party, travelling to each county in the South Jersey area.

The rover plan is - Start Saturday, 12 Noon:

12:00-1:00 Ocean Co-Tuckerton Seaport or Tip Seaman Park-Route 9

1:00-1:30 Travel

1:30-2:30 Burlington Co-Amasa Landing, off Route 9 and Parkway (mile 50)

2:30-3:00 Travel

3:00-4:00 Atlantic Co-Atlantic City Service Area-Parkway (mile 41)

4:00-4:30 Travel

4:30-5:30 Cape May Co-Cape May Rest Area-Parkway (mile 22)

5:30-6:15 Travel

6:15-7:15 Cumberland Co-Millville NJ

7:15-8:00 Travel

8:00-9:00 Camden Co-W2MC QTH - back around by the barn :)  ; Waterford Works NJ

Sunday, starting at 10:00 AM:

10:00-11:00 Mercer Co-295 scenic overview

11:00-11:45 Travel

11:45-12:45 Gloucester Co-Red Bank Battlefield

12:45-1:15 Travel

1:15-2:15 Salem Co-Route 295 Rest Area

You can work us once per band/mode at each County stop.  You can also see our Rover plan with the stops marked-off at:

https://batchgeo.com/map/59c07fb518e2df9ca44474ccb2d1aac3

Special QSL cards will be available, and there will be a special certificate for working K2AA/R in all Southern New Jersey counties!

Where we will be operating: 

We are planning to be on two bands simultaneously – one station on 40 meters using a full-size ¼ wave 40 meter vertical antenna, and the other on 20 meters with a small tri-band yagi antenna.  We may move, conditions depending, to other bands, but the NJ QSO Party rules only permit contacts on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 Meters .

Look for us at or around (primarily 40 & 20):

Band             Phone

40M                7.190

20M                14.250

15M                21.400

10M                28.400

Exchange:

New Jersey stations send RS(T) and county

US/Canada send RS(T) and state/province.

DX stations send RS(T) and “DX”

Also, work the Burlington County Radio Club “Jersey Devil” station – K2TD – for a 100 point bonus! The complete rules and scoring information are available at:

http://www.k2td-bcrc.org/njqp/njqp_rules.html

Looking forward to seeing you all on the air for this years' QSO Party!

Jon - W2MC

Ken- K2WB

Hello to everyone - the NJ QSO Party is this weekend; and K2AA/R will be on the air!

The NJ QSO Party runs Saturday, 19 September (12:00 Noon to 11:59 PM) and Sunday, 20 September (10:00 AM to 4:00 PM).

Ken - K2WB and Jon - W2MC will be operating as a ROVER station using the South Jersey Radio Association club call of K2AA during the QSO Party, travelling to each county in the South Jersey area.

The rover plan is - Start Saturday, 12 Noon:

12:00-1:00 Ocean Co-Tuckerton Seaport or Tip Seaman Park-Route 9

1:00-1:30 Travel

1:30-2:30 Burlington Co-Amasa Landing, off Route 9 and Parkway (mile 50)

2:30-3:00 Travel

3:00-4:00 Atlantic Co-Atlantic City Service Area-Parkway (mile 41)

4:00-4:30 Travel

4:30-5:30 Cape May Co-Cape May Rest Area-Parkway (mile 22)

5:30-6:15 Travel

6:15-7:15 Cumberland Co-Millville NJ

7:15-8:00 Travel

8:00-9:00 Camden Co-W2MC QTH - back around by the barn :)  ; Waterford Works NJ

Sunday, starting at 10:00 AM:

10:00-11:00 Mercer Co-295 scenic overview

11:00-11:45 Travel

11:45-12:45 Gloucester Co-Red Bank Battlefield

12:45-1:15 Travel

1:15-2:15 Salem Co-Route 295 Rest Area

You can work us once per band/mode at each County stop.  You can also see our Rover plan with the stops marked-off at:

https://batchgeo.com/map/59c07fb518e2df9ca44474ccb2d1aac3

Special QSL cards will be available, and there will be a special certificate for working K2AA/R in all Southern New Jersey counties!

Where we will be operating: 

We are planning to be on two bands simultaneously – one station on 40 meters using a full-size ¼ wave 40 meter vertical antenna, and the other on 20 meters with a small tri-band yagi antenna.  We may move, conditions depending, to other bands, but the NJ QSO Party rules only permit contacts on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 Meters .

Look for us at or around (primarily 40 & 20):

Band             Phone

40M                7.190

20M                14.250

15M                21.400

10M                28.400

Exchange:

New Jersey stations send RS(T) and county

US/Canada send RS(T) and state/province.

DX stations send RS(T) and “DX”

Also, work the Burlington County Radio Club “Jersey Devil” station – K2TD – for a 100 point bonus! The complete rules and scoring information are available at:

http://www.k2td-bcrc.org/njqp/njqp_rules.html

Looking forward to seeing you all on the air for this years' QSO Party!

Jon - W2MC

Ken- K2WB

I'll be on HF in a few minutes...will see if I can work you...