ryan_j

Ham radio

It's been a while since anyone's posted here.

At the expense of repeating myself -- gee that's never happened -- and of being admonished for going straight to QRP (I'm still not on HF), what do I need to get on HF using this rig: http://bit.ly/1SlHagy

??

Newt,

I'm not familiar with this radio, but based on the website you pointed to, I think a piece of coax with appropriate ends, a PL259 plug, enough wire to make a dipole for whatever band you want to operate on, and a little soldering should get you on the air. Oh, and enough space to string up the dipole.

Thanks, Grump.

The rig works everything from 180m to UHF/VHF. I have the higher frequencies covered. What I am looking for, for HF:

* type of antenna

* antenna tuner 

* power supply

Etc. 

I have about, oh, about 175 feet to string an antenna. I also think Wifey will tolerate something on the roof. 

ARRL is great at administering tests, but very bad at actually helping people get on the air. 

Again, sorry if I posted the same question/gripe previously.

I had one for several years.  They are fun, but they WILL be frustrating to a new ham.  I usually suggest a 100 watt transceiver.

BUT, if you are committed to QRP - the bigger question than "what antenna?" is "what are YOU, Newtonian, going to do with this radio?"

Are you going to run it at the house, the car, or some mountaintop?  How much space do you have to put up antennas?  Are you testing the waters, or diving-in with both feet?  

Now if you are going to use it at home, you just blew your wad on the radio, and you have the space and want a decent antenna...here are a few suggestions.

Multi band "Fan Dipole".  Many different designs, but here is one to get you started thinking:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/w6hdgfandipole.html

Store bought - around $150, but EXTREMELY well built - the alpha delta dxcc

http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxcc_ii.htm

got more money to spend?  How about a vertical antenna?  This one needs a ground plane, but works well and is extremely tough - the Hustler 4BTV (four band trap vertical)

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hsr-4btv

http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/hustler_4btv5btv_instl.pdf

There are also a ton of other antennas like this.  the next step up is some sort of mast/tower and a directional beam.  I can also talk to them if you want to....but they are a subject unto themselves

If you are thinking portable - like a mountain, beside a stream, or relaxing in the carribean, and you have the money to spend, the Buddipole is an amazing device.

http://www.buddipole.com/

Now if you want to op from the car - the choices are really three.

Hamsticks - single band whip antennas (hamstick is a trade name...there are several makers)

http://www.qsl.net/ka2rgi/rf/antennas/Lakeview/9106.htm

Hustler's system of mobile antennas:

http://www.cheapham.com/hustler/

or one of several different "screwdriver" antennas (named because the originals used an electric screwdriver to operate the coil).  There are several; I have used a tarheel before; the "little tarheel"

http://tarheelantennas.com/

Those are some things to think about

It's been a while since anyone's posted here.

At the expense of repeating myself -- gee that's never happened -- and of being admonished for going straight to QRP (I'm still not on HF), what do I need to get on HF using this rig: http://bit.ly/1SlHagy

??

W2mC, KD2HPQ.

Thanks for the suggestions. I see this as a base station. After I'm comfortable I'll probably take it afield.

I have plenty of room for an antenna. Not an ideal location, but a good 20-25 feet above ground and at least 100 feet. 

What I like about that radio is the ability to do CW and SSB, plus the full range including 6m and 10m, should those bands open up. 

I'll take your suggestions under advisement. Whatever that means. 

W2MC, the buddipole is a great antenna for portable work. I bought mine in Dayton from the company owners (the display model when they were tearing down the exhibit) and it lasted several years. I kept it up outside for a complete year (survived Sandy) and eventually the components began to oxidize/corrode. A ham I know from UK has had one last over 6 years and is still going strong. FWIW they are not cheap but for portable work they receive nothing but praise. It's important to guide the buddipole, BTW.

W2MC, the buddipole is a great antenna for portable work. I bought mine in Dayton from the company owners (the display model when they were tearing down the exhibit) and it lasted several years. I kept it up outside for a complete year (survived Sandy) and eventually the components began to oxidize/corrode. A ham I know from UK has had one last over 6 years and is still going strong. FWIW they are not cheap but for portable work they receive nothing but praise. It's important to guide the buddipole, BTW.

I agree...the Buddipoles are nice; but very expensive.   for operating portable, I have used/would use a collapsible pole and a wire dipole in an 'inverted vee' configuration.

Hoping for some help from the Ham hobbyists - I have a Yaesu FRG-8800 receiver, a Kenwood R-2000 receiver and a Drake SPR-4 receiver I inherited from my father. I assume these are early / mid 1980's vintages. Assuming they are in good working order is there any market value to these, or are they completely obsolete?

Thanks for our help.

Hoping for some help from the Ham hobbyists - I have a Yaesu FRG-8800 receiver, a Kenwood R-2000 receiver and a Drake SPR-4 receiver I inherited from my father. I assume these are early / mid 1980's vintages. Assuming they are in good working order is there any market value to these, or are they completely obsolete?

Thanks for our help.

The Drake SPR-4 was from the 70's if I'm correct, that Drake SPR-4 is still 100% useable by a modern day SWL (shortwave listener) and many of the older SWL guys that had one years ago would jump on the chance to buy it.

Depending on condition (and if everything works) you are looking at a $300 (min) receiver and I've seen some exceed $500 in very good-excellent condition. The average is between $350-$400 for one of these.

The Kenwood should bring $250-$350 again depending on condition and if it everything works,.

The Yaesu FRG-8800 should bring $350-$400 depending on condition and if everything works.

All three of these radios are desirable, if you unloaded the lot to someone $1K-$1,100 would be a reasonable asking price but without knowing if everything works and the condition of each radio that's hard to say...

Do you have any papers, manuals, boxes, etc. for the radios? price goes up a little on each radio.

Also, not only is the Drake still good for SWL but so would the Kenwood and Yaesu.

Obsolete and radio equipment really don't go together in this hobby, plenty of HAM's and short wave listeners will put out good money on a older receiver it could be for nostalgic reasons or for daily listening.

If you can plug them in and power them up you could try and see if you can receive 5mhz, 10mhz, 15mhz, 20mhz even without a outdoor antenna you can still usually receive those frequencies with the stock telescoping or whip antenna.

Also, not only is the Drake still good for SWL but so would the Kenwood and Yaesu.

Obsolete and radio equipment really don't go together in this hobby, plenty of HAM's and short wave listeners will put out good money on a older receiver it could be for nostalgic reasons or for daily listening.

If you can plug them in and power them up you could try and see if you can receive 5mhz, 10mhz, 15mhz, 20mhz even without a outdoor antenna you can still usually receive those frequencies with the stock telescoping or whip antenna.

Carcano, thank you for sharing your insight.  Unfortunately, I do not have any documentation or packaging. I do know they power up.  I will test each of them on the suggested frequencies.  Any recommendation of online marketplaces to post them for sale?

Carcano, thank you for sharing your insight.  Unfortunately, I do not have any documentation or packaging. I do know they power up.  I will test each of them on the suggested frequencies.  Any recommendation of online marketplaces to post them for sale?

No problem :)

I would try qrz.com under the forums section, you need to register to post ads but if I remember correctly it's free.

ebay is another venue but too many bad buyers/parts swappers...guys that purchase a working radio, pull the part they need to fix a non-working radio and return it demanding a refund. If you sell them on ebay you would need to list them "as-is, not working" but you can detail the fact that they work in the listing to prevent returns.

Another site is eham, can't give you the web address for them off hand but a quick google search will turn it up.

Finally, if you intend to unload the entire lot to one buyer I would contact Universal Radio in Ohio. I've dealt with Universal exclusively for the last three years and they are easy to work with. I've never sold equipment to them but if you send them some photos they will make you an offer. I can put you in touch with them if you would like.

When boxing this equipment up for shipping do not cheap-out, use a good amount of packaging material and a slightly over sized (strong) box and always send it insured.

If you do not wish to create an account on QRZ I can post photos/descriptions for you from my account and forward all interest to you via email or PM here on NJGF if that would be easier for you.

wasn't one of you guys down this way in camden county? i got a friend that's a member of a club in pennsauken, but i haven't heard back from him in a couple days. i'm looking for stufy guide, and possibly a class/test for myself and a couple friends. in this area.

wasn't one of you guys down this way in camden county? i got a friend that's a member of a club in pennsauken, but i haven't heard back from him in a couple days. i'm looking for stufy guide, and possibly a class/test for myself and a couple friends. in this area.

The South Jersey Radio Association runs testing generally on the second Wednesday of the month (Third Wednesday this month-December 16) in West Berlin NJ; near the Walmart on route 73.  See the web site below for additional information.

http://sjra.org/basic-page/amateur-radio-license-exams

The South Jersey Radio Association runs testing generally on the second Wednesday of the month (Third Wednesday this month-December 16) in West Berlin NJ; near the Walmart on route 73.  See the web site below for additional information.

http://sjra.org/basic-page/amateur-radio-license-exams

thanks man!

what about study guides? anything easily/quickly available in printed form?

thanks man!

what about study guides? anything easily/quickly available in printed form?

Here are a few online resources for all the exams (the AARL ones are printable):

http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

https://hamstudy.org/

These were the only things I used to prepare for the Technician & General tests. They worked fine, got one answer wrong between the 2 tests.

stupid question #498576

during the "studying" of the flash cards, there was at least one question pertaining to 5/8 wave antenna. before i saw that, i only heard of 1/4 wave, which is what i mounted to the roof of the expedition for my azden. is there an advantage to the 5/8 wave over the 1/4 wave? what about for handheld? same question.

thanks dudes!

stupid question #498576

during the "studying" of the flash cards, there was at least one question pertaining to 5/8 wave antenna. before i saw that, i only heard of 1/4 wave, which is what i mounted to the roof of the expedition for my azden. is there an advantage to the 5/8 wave over the 1/4 wave? what about for handheld? same question.

thanks dudes!

Advantages of a 5/8 wave antenna are a little bit more gain at lower takeoff elevation angles at the expense of higher elevation (skywave) angles.  The radiation pattern of a quarter wave looks like a perfect semi-circle, while a 5/8 wave looks like someone took their fist and squashed it.

if one were to purchase used equipment in the 35 to 50mhz range.....i know it's not in the ham bands......but is it legal to transmit on those freqs? or is that a "bad people come looking for ya" kind of thing?

It is "illegal' without proper licensing and authorization.

Has it been done?  Of course it has.  The bigger question is "why do you want to transmit on those frequencies in the first place?"  Are you otherwise authorized, for example a fireman who's also ham operator and wants to mostly listen to his department, but might find the need to transmit at some point - you know, 'Hey Chief, its blowing out the back of the building!" or something like that?  ***It's still illegal*** if he isn't covered by the FD license, and especially so if his radio is a modified ham radio that isn't "Type Accepted" for that radio service....but realistically, if he doesn't advertise what he's doing, who's going to know? 

Most of these guys get into trouble when they buy a couple dozen amateur radios and modify them to go out of their current range and onto other, unauthorized frequencies.  Someone is either going to do something foolish, like set them up on some "secret" frequency -- i.e. go onto an unauthorized frequency (like the amateur bands) and start using it, or blab what they're doing to the wrong person (like the guy who sells the department their radios), who then alerts the local FCC office.  Once the FCC office gets involved, it gets VERY expensive....their "normal" "Notice of Apparent Liability" (NAL) - essentially the fine - usually STARTS in the $20,000 range.

But one radio?

It is "illegal' without proper licensing and authorization.

Has it been done?  Of course it has.  The bigger question is "why do you want to transmit on those frequencies in the first place?"  Are you otherwise authorized, for example a fireman who's also ham operator and wants to mostly listen to his department, but might find the need to transmit at some point - you know, 'Hey Chief, its blowing out the back of the building!" or something like that?  ***It's still illegal*** if he isn't covered by the FD license, and especially so if his radio is a modified ham radio that isn't "Type Accepted" for that radio service....but realistically, if he doesn't advertise what he's doing, who's going to know? 

Most of these guys get into trouble when they buy a couple dozen amateur radios and modify them to go out of their current range and onto other, unauthorized frequencies.  Someone is either going to do something foolish, like set them up on some "secret" frequency -- i.e. go onto an unauthorized frequency (like the amateur bands) and start using it, or blab what they're doing to the wrong person (like the guy who sells the department their radios), who then alerts the local FCC office.  Once the FCC office gets involved, it gets VERY expensive....their "normal" "Notice of Apparent Liability" (NAL) - essentially the fine - usually STARTS in the $20,000 range.

But one radio?

that's all i needed/wanted to know. as mentioned before, i ain't trying to do anything illegal. i'd seen some cheap radios taken out of service. some were programmed, so they still talked to each other......i was thinking of them as quick dirty comms vehicle to vehicle.....sorta backup to other radios. but.....i ain't risking jail, big fines, or possibly interfering with anyone official.........

side note, still going at the flash cards........

thanks man!!