ryan_j

Ham radio

Does anyone have an HF transceiver they're looking to sell or rent? I need to play with something soon or I'll completely lose interest. Next month is one year since I passed the General class exam.

I have been thinking of selling my Icom IC-751.  Its an older HF (10-160 Meter) that looks/runs like this one:

It has the (optional) built-in power supply and the wideband (AM) filter installed - all you need to do is plug it in and operate.  I've used it for Field Day for several years, and most recently I used it on 20 and 10 meters during the NJ QSO Party - a friend an I operated as a rover in every Southern NJ county during the weekend contest. 

You would need some sort of antenna, such as a wire dipole, some feed line, and probably a tuner-unless you cut the wire antenna to a single band.  It does not have a built-in tuner.

More instruction on how it works is here:

Let me know if you're interested.

Jon

W2MC

I have been thinking of selling my Icom IC-751.  Its an older HF (10-160 Meter) that looks/runs like this one:

It has the (optional) built-in power supply and the wideband (AM) filter installed - all you need to do is plug it in and operate.  I've used it for Field Day for several years, and most recently I used it on 20 and 10 meters during the NJ QSO Party - a friend an I operated as a rover in every Southern NJ county during the weekend contest. 

You would need some sort of antenna, such as a wire dipole, some feed line, and probably a tuner-unless you cut the wire antenna to a single band.  It does not have a built-in tuner.

More instruction on how it works is here:

Let me know if you're interested.

Jon

W2MC

Thanks, Jon. I'll think about it. What's the $$$?

That transceiver W2MC has is a great setup, always liked Icom equipment.

If you need a tuner I have a automatic MFJ tuner I haven't used in a long time, works great just has a few scuffs you will need a cord (12V to a power supply or wall plug) for it and a jumper cable to run between the tuner and radio. Let me know and I'll dig it out and get some pics/specs for you.

Anyone have an inexpensive HF rig they are looking to part with?

Doesn't matter brand - but an internal tuner would be nice

Looking to get back on 80-40M CW.  I made the mistake of picking up a SW radio after many years...........  what a mistake.  :)

Nick,

I have a Kenwood TS-450S/AT HF transceiver, 100W, Built in auto antenna tuner, general coverage receiver, mint condition, working 100%. Radio is stock, no mods. Includes Kenwood hand mike, DC cable, factory manual. Only two users, non-smoking, and low hours. I can leave it at Mastodon on Monday or the following week. Asking $450.

IMG_20160507_083647.jpg

adp

Well it's been a while since this thread saw some action so I'll fire it up. Took my general exam 2 weeks ago while vacationing in Colorado and passed. This morning I received my email for my official license upgrade. did an equipment swap with a gent In Michigan and this afternoon. This showed up. Now it should get interesting, time to build an antenna or 2

The Kenwood TS-430 is an excellent rig (from the mid-80's) that will hold its own with newer radios.  I've owned one, and I can assure you that it will serve your purposes well.  

I appreciate the confidence. Looks like it needs a little TLC and I'll ha e to in modify it since someone put 11m in it. Other than that it looks to be functioning. Maybe I'll get to catch some of you southern operators when I get up and running. Got some wire In The garage maybe I can toss together an inverted V this weekend and get operating

Excellent w2mc. I appreciate the info. So far it seems to work. Got a 40m wire up and caught my trans.issio. On sender last night but the band went long shortly after that. tuned swr this morning. Hope to test it again later today or tonight. Now to hunt down a tuner and some accessories to expand my band options

Anyone have any experience with indoor end-fed antennas? The best outside location for a dipole for me would radiate south and north. I'm more interested in east and west, which would be problematic outdoors. My attic is oriented perfectly for what I want. I already have a matchbox and lots of wire.

any indoor HF antenna usually picks up too much of the local crap being generated by all the modern electronic stuff in your house.     I tried it once at my old house and it was just too noisy.  I have a 6meter dipole in the attic but when I Tx it affects to many things in the house.    I also scared the crap out of my son because when he was about 6 and heard the  SSB audio coming out of the computer speakers from the 6m he thought it was an alien or something.

Now I use a pixel magnetic loop for Rx and a B&W end fed wire for Tx as well as the 6BTV .   I have the Wellbrook loop too but I like the pixel because of the relay that turns off the amplifier during Tx.

Pixel magnetic loop and a R390a is so quiet that I have to turn knobs just to make sure radio is still working.   

any indoor HF antenna usually picks up too much of the local crap being generated by all the modern electronic stuff in your house.     I tried it once at my old house and it was just too noisy.  I have a 6meter dipole in the attic but when I Tx it affects to many things in the house.    I also scared the crap out of my son because when he was about 6 and heard the  SSB audio coming out of the computer speakers from the 6m he thought it was an alien or something.

Now I use a pixel magnetic loop for Rx and a B&W end fed wire for Tx as well as the 6BTV .   I have the Wellbrook loop too but I like the pixel because of the relay that turns off the amplifier during Tx.

Pixel magnetic loop and a R390a is so quiet that I have to turn knobs just to make sure radio is still working.   

Magnetic loops are kindof expensive. I've been spoiled by my outdoor end-fed on 20 and 40m. 

When you say devices do you mean computers, tablets, wifi generally? I could turn the wifi off. WOuld probably cut down a lot of the RFI.

Yes, many of these modern gadgets are well outside of FCC part 15 requirements.   The FCC really does not care about the harmful interference they generate to ham radio (they don't even care about harmful interference to public safety frequencies either).   Locating the source in your own house is "fairly" easy using the on/off breaker method.   keep in mind you will have to run reduced power with an antenna inside your attic.  also there are other factors involved that determine which direction that a dipole radiates or your end fed wire .   nearby objects,  height above ground, soil conditions .     

Not sure what radio you are using but I had to get one (ten-tec Omni 7) with a independent RX antenna port so I could run my loop for RX to minimize locally generated interference.  I have it on a rotator at about 6' off the ground this way I can turn it to nullify the neighbors cheap crappy gadgets.     TX from the B&W or BTV vertical .   

I have an Icom 7300 and a couple of qrp rigs. I will not be transmitting above 60 watts due to a 20A max power supply (the 7300 specs 24w). The 7300 does not have separate antenna terminals, just one. I'm going to start with a 35' end fed and matchbox that worked fine on 20/40 this past summer at 10W max in my back yard. It's supposed to do the WARC bands as well at low SWR. I also have a 20m end fed that should fit. We don't have a lot of stuff going on electronically in our home. TV monitor is usually unplugged. Computer goes to sleep and can turn off router with one button. Should I worry about the fridge 2 floors down? I don't know. There's literally nothing else. Roof is asphalt, wood, fiberglass insulation. I read about so much DX qrp success with worse setups than mine :)

If anyone wants to "get in the game" so to speak, here's a fairly inexpensive route.   It's a pretty decent radio for what it is at 8 Watts.

Make an offer for $45, it'll get accepted    $44 won't. heh.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390980003153

Mouse over image to zoom
Have one to sell? Sell now

Details about  Baofeng Black BF-F9 V2+ TRI-POWER 8 Watts Two Way Dual-Band HAM Radio VHF/UHF FM

have one I got on sale about 5 years ago...its still in the box.  Comparing CB to Ham radio is like comparing Yugos to Cadillacs

True but a lot of hams are basically repeater rats, which isn't much different from CB. Especially near and in NYC.

Anyone using a CB? I just installed one, need to buy an SWR meter that I don't want to. Seems fun. Could be useful

i just installed a stryker sr440hp in my truck. i haven't used the fm side yet.......i've been tlking on 20 when i leave the shop. i've gotten about 5 miles confirmed clear so far. there's guys out there talking with a ton of power, 'cause i'm hearing guys from south carolina....tonight there was a rather annoying guy from florida

but.....i made magnolia from cherry hill....and as it turns out, the guy is buddys with one of my best friends, lolololol