ryan_j

Ham radio

If the radio you are looking at is a ham radio that operates in his depts freq range, it's still a ham radio. Most ham radios can listen to those freqs but if they have allocated frequencies for their dept, it won't be available as most ham radios cannot transmit on govt bands.

The Baofengs WILL operate on these freq's unless you manually lock them out.  I believe there are restrictions (ie FCC Part ??) regarding operating a Baofeng on those frequencies tho as I don't believe it's listed or registered or whatever the tech term is for use on those frequencies.

Guys, I got my tech license about 2 weeks ago, and am about 1/3 through the general license materials. I'm also (slowly) learning Morse code.

I'd like to graduate from 2M/70cm because there isn't much going on up here on those bands. I was thinking that 10m might be a good second step.

Can anyone recommend a decent entry-level 10m transceiver? I guess it would have to be all mode. I don't even know what I'm talking about!

KD2HPQ

I am working on getting a small pile of QSTs to send out. I should be picking them up on Sunday

Sorry for the slow motion.....Thanksgiving and Deer Week intervened.

I have a bunch now and will be mailing them out shortly

Jon

Guys, I got my tech license about 2 weeks ago, and am about 1/3 through the general license materials. I'm also (slowly) learning Morse code.

I'd like to graduate from 2M/70cm because there isn't much going on up here on those bands. I was thinking that 10m might be a good second step.

Can anyone recommend a decent entry-level 10m transceiver? I guess it would have to be all mode. I don't even know what I'm talking about!

KD2HPQ

Don't waste your money on a 10 meter-only transceiver.  You'll rapidly find it too limiting (esp if you rapidly make General, which you should), and half of 'em suck, anyway. 

Get a good general coverage transceiver; one that does 10-160 meters and puts out about 100 watts.  Almost all of the newer ones do 6 meters, too.  Any recent vintage Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu will do...if you want reviews, look at the review section in www.eham.net . As with any internet review...sometimes you need to read 'em with a few grains of salt handy, but you will be able to figure out what is good and what isn't.  There's also a lot of value in the second hand market...but you need to know what you're looking at.  The eham.net reviews can help there

Don't waste your money on a 10 meter-only transceiver.  You'll rapidly find it too limiting (esp if you rapidly make General, which you should), and half of 'em suck, anyway. 

Get a good general coverage transceiver; one that does 10-160 meters and puts out about 100 watts.  Almost all of the newer ones do 6 meters, too.  Any recent vintage Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu will do...if you want reviews, look at the review section in www.eham.net . As with any internet review...sometimes you need to read 'em with a few grains of salt handy, but you will be able to figure out what is good and what isn't.  There's also a lot of value in the second hand market...but you need to know what you're looking at.  The eham.net reviews can help there

Thanks for the advice. I'm close to making this decision actually. But all the all-band receivers are so expensive. I'm reluctant to invest $600 in a transceiver -- minus antenna, antenna tuner, and all the other goodies -- before my feet are even wet. I told you I got my license a few weeks ago. I haven't even pressed the orange button yet -- kind of shy about it. Would hate to sink $1000 into a rig at this point. Except for 2m there does not seem to be a convenient entry point short of that.

Newtonian, Have you considered going to a club meeting?  I am a newer ham too and went to Sussex County Amateur Radio Club's September meeting and found it very interesting.  I couldn't make October or November's due to work comitments but am trying to confirm that there is going to be one tomorrow night (12/19/14).  It's on their website (scarcnj.org) calendar but I remembered something from September about a holiday party and am not sure if the meeting date / time was moved / canceled. 

I'm sure there's plenty of people there that could offer insight. 

Newtonian, Have you considered going to a club meeting?  I am a newer ham too and went to Sussex County Amateur Radio Club's September meeting and found it very interesting.  I couldn't make October or November's due to work comitments but am trying to confirm that there is going to be one tomorrow night (12/19/14).  It's on their website (scarcnj.org) calendar but I remembered something from September about a holiday party and am not sure if the meeting date / time was moved / canceled. 

I'm sure there's plenty of people there that could offer insight. 

Yes, I took my test there in November. They mentioned something about a party replacing the monthly meeting, but there's nothing on their website. Just sent in a check for membership today. 

I took Gan's suggestion and pushed the button earlier today and found out the meeting had in fact happened last week with the Holiday party.  I'll send my application in too just in case work takes me away from the next meeting.  I feel guilty talking on the repeater without contributing to the club and thus is why I've been reluctant to try speak much on mic so far.

I took Gan's suggestion and pushed the button earlier today and found out the meeting had in fact happened last week with the Holiday party.  I'll send my application in too just in case work takes me away from the next meeting.  I feel guilty talking on the repeater without contributing to the club and thus is why I've been reluctant to try speak much on mic so far.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about that too much, especially as a new ham.  Get out there, get on the air, see which repeaters you like best and then join based on that.

Don't feel guilty, you are on the air and just starting that's all that matters :)

I somewhat disagree with you regarding 10m, between 2008-2011 I worked over 1,000 DX stations (and thousands of US stations) on 10m SSB operating that band for only 30 minutes or less per day. Sure it's not the same as working 20m 40m or 80m but still a fun band.

He might consider looking at the Yaesu FT-857 or 857-D, full coverage HF (100 watt) with 6m, 2m, 70cm (forget the power levels on those bands).

Can be had used in good / very good condition within the $400-$500 range sometimes less on ebay...

I've owned a few 857D transceivers can't complain, might be better off with something solid state so no tubes to deal with

With some of the sketchy sellers on ebay I have been afraid to pull the trigger on a rig there.  I'd rather see one locally and see someone key up, etc

Good point, I've never been burned buying radios on ebay only selling them.

ebay is pretty good at issuing refunds if you receive something not as described (open a case with ebay/paypal) or file a dispute with your CC company.

If you can make the drive visit Dayton, Ohio. Every year I tell myself I will not buy anything else and end up with a truck full of stuff, most of the people selling have DC power on hand to demonstrate the gear before cash changes hands.

I emailed one of the officers. The next meeting is January 16. They convene at the fire academy, across the road from the main branch of the Sussex Cty. library, in Frankford I believe.

I hadn't thought about the membership/repeater issue.

I somewhat disagree with you regarding 10m, between 2008-2011 I worked over 1,000 DX stations (and thousands of US stations) on 10m SSB operating that band for only 30 minutes or less per day. Sure it's not the same as working 20m 40m or 80m but still a fun band.

He might consider looking at the Yaesu FT-857 or 857-D, full coverage HF (100 watt) with 6m, 2m, 70cm (forget the power levels on those bands).

Can be had used in good / very good condition within the $400-$500 range sometimes less on ebay...

I've owned a few 857D transceivers can't complain, might be better off with something solid state so no tubes to deal with

I think you misunderstood me, Carcano.  I'm not down on 10 meters....its a fun band.  Newtonian was asking about the 10-meter-only rigs.  While there are a few good ones out there, most of them are built for the 11 meter (CB) operator who is looking to run illegal.  Those rigs are mostly overpriced junk, and rather than limit himself to 10 meters, he would be better served by spending a few dollars more on a good second-hand rig, such as the Yaesu FT-857 you mention.  Another (similar) option is an Icom ic-706.  I've owned several (still have one) and I think they are good rigs for a new operator- a bit easier to figure-out than the yaesu 857 and covering 160m all the way to 2m (mark 1 and mark II) and 70 cm (mark IIG).  The only minus is they are no longer available new (unlike the yaesu).  

I think you misunderstood me, Carcano.  I'm not down on 10 meters....its a fun band.  Newtonian was asking about the 10-meter-only rigs.  While there are a few good ones out there, most of them are built for the 11 meter (CB) operator who is looking to run illegal.  Those rigs are mostly overpriced junk, and rather than limit himself to 10 meters, he would be better served by spending a few dollars more on a good second-hand rig, such as the Yaesu FT-857 you mention.  Another (similar) option is an Icom ic-706.  I've owned several (still have one) and I think they are good rigs for a new operator- a bit easier to figure-out than the yaesu 857 and covering 160m all the way to 2m (mark 1 and mark II) and 70 cm (mark IIG).  The only minus is they are no longer available new (unlike the yaesu).  

Sorry about that W2MC I did misunderstand you :)

The 10m only rigs are junk, I had a RCI-2950 (stock, no 11m mods) and hated it. Luckily it was used so I didn't loose anything selling it but at $200 or so for a new 10m only rig and a used Icom or Yaesu can be had for a little more it's easy to avoid those 10m rigs :)

Sorry about that W2MC I did misunderstand you :)

The 10m only rigs are junk, I had a RCI-2950 (stock, no 11m mods) and hated it. Luckily it was used so I didn't loose anything selling it but at $200 or so for a new 10m only rig and a used Icom or Yaesu can be had for a little more it's easy to avoid those 10m rigs :)

Guys, one thing the Tech and General tests didn't prepare me for was what I actually need in terms of equipment

I just got my first copy of QST. Transceivers aside, it seems like accessories alone cost hundreds of dollars. What do I get? What kind of antenna do I need that will run 160m down to 2m? Does such a thing exist? What do I need aside from the transceiver? That Yaesu costs $900 including shipping! That's more than "a little more" than a $200 used 10m rig.

It's not like I can't afford it, but to me that is a steep price for an entry-level hobby, particularly when it appears (to me) that I might end up spending as much on amplifiers, antenna tuners, antennas, CW equipment (assuming I learn code), etc. as on the transceiver.

Guys, one thing the Tech and General tests didn't prepare me for was what I actually need in terms of equipment

I just got my first copy of QST. Transceivers aside, it seems like accessories alone cost hundreds of dollars. What do I get? What kind of antenna do I need that will run 160m down to 2m? Does such a thing exist? What do I need aside from the transceiver? That Yaesu costs $900 including shipping! That's more than "a little more" than a $200 used 10m rig.

It's not like I can't afford it, but to me that is a steep price for an entry-level hobby, particularly when it appears (to me) that I might end up spending as much on amplifiers, antenna tuners, antennas, CW equipment (assuming I learn code), etc. as on the transceiver.

First, find a used transceiver locally, on ebay or: http://forums.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?7-Ham-Radio-Gear-For-Sale

Set aside $300-$400 and you will find something decent.

Antenna? If you have room look into one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCF-80-6-Meter-Dipole-Antenna-200-Watt-Windom-/251764102566?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item3a9e4f55a6

That dipole covers 80-6 meters, for VHF and UHF: http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

$49.99 well built still strong after 6 years.

Coax depends on how long of a run and what quality cable, I use RG-213 for HF  http://abrind.com/coax-guide/shop/rg213u-mil-spec-coax-cable-assemblies-pl259-connectors/rg213-coax-pl259-connectors/?gclid=CPfyn7fr3MICFWgV7AodCmQA0A

I used a short run of RG8 for VHF at a fraction of the cost of RG213.

EDIT: I do not run amplifiers, 100 WATTS and have worked 40 some countries. Power isn't everything.

I would add that it is important to get good quality low loss coax for both HF and especially 2m/70cm. RG213 is a start. I would look at LMR400 spec cable.

Each cable type has a particular power rating and loss associated with it typically measured for every 100ft. For instance, lower frequencies over shorter distances.... doesn't need as fancy of a cable and you can save some $$. When you go higher frequencies like 400mhz, any distance over a 10-20ft feet or whatnot could start to matter when it comes to loss. All cable has loss, its just a matter of mitigating that loss under your circumstances so that you get the most out of your transceiver's power.

Also pay attention if you need something flexible or not, as LMR400 comes in solid and stranded types, with the stranded costing 50% more , but is nice and flexible. A waste if you don't need that property.

I'm not a pro by any means, and I don't want to needlessly spend your money for you, but it is something to consider and will depend on your use and distance from your transceiver to the antenna.

Here's a good site for quality ham equipment that I sometimes use. This page has many types of coax to take a look at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/coax.html . Here is a handy chart that lets you compare the attenuation between them.

I would add that it is important to get good quality low loss coax for both HF and especially 2m/70cm. RG213 is a start. I would look at LMR400 spec cable.

Each cable type has a particular power rating and loss associated with it typically measured for every 100ft. For instance, lower frequencies over shorter distances.... doesn't need as fancy of a cable and you can save some $$. When you go higher frequencies like 400mhz, any distance over a 10-20ft feet or whatnot could start to matter when it comes to loss. All cable has loss, its just a matter of mitigating that loss under your circumstances so that you get the most out of your transceiver's power.

Also pay attention if you need something flexible or not, as LMR400 comes in solid and stranded types, with the stranded costing 50% more , but is nice and flexible. A waste if you don't need that property.

I'm not a pro by any means, and I don't want to needlessly spend your money for you, but it is something to consider and will depend on your use and distance from your transceiver to the antenna.

Here's a good site for quality ham equipment that I sometimes use. This page has many types of coax to take a look at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/coax.html . Here is a handy chart that lets you compare the attenuation between them.

That's a good company (Universal Radio) I have bought tons of equipment from them, they also have used transceivers Newtonian might be interested in.

That's a good company (Universal Radio) I have bought tons of equipment from them, they also have used transceivers Newtonian might be interested in.

Sorry I don't know how to quote multiple posters, but thanks and by all means keep the advice coming.

I saw a nice Yaesu on on Universal website, http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/5008.html

What do you think of this? 100W, all band, all mode. Is that right (still uncomfortable with the lingo).

Gentlemen, what would I need to purchase in addition to this rig to utilize its full capabilities? Most of its capabilities (I'm studying for General and should be ready in about a month)?

Wifey has just got used to the guns...she's going to need some time for the antenna stuff. But we do have a building on our property about 70 feet from the house if that's relevant. She doesn't mind a wire in the back. 

Sorry I don't know how to quote multiple posters, but thanks and by all means keep the advice coming.

I saw a nice Yaesu on on Universal website, http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/5008.html

What do you think of this? 100W, all band, all mode. Is that right (still uncomfortable with the lingo).

Gentlemen, what would I need to purchase in addition to this rig to utilize its full capabilities? Most of its capabilities (I'm studying for General and should be ready in about a month)?

Wifey has just got used to the guns...she's going to need some time for the antenna stuff. But we do have a building on our property about 70 feet from the house if that's relevant. She doesn't mind a wire in the back. 

That's a nice Alinco brand radio, I have owned some Alinco equipment and it's well made. Here is a review:

www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8897

77 reviews and it's a 4.3/5 :)

For the price that's a good deal for a brand new transceiver, it covers 160-10 meters so it covers HF and has SSB (single side band, upper and lower sideband) AM FM and CW.

All in all that's a great radio, with the Tech license you can work 10 meters on it and until you get the General license you can listen to the HF bands and shortwave :)

EDIT: To go with it you might look into a used antenna tuner, under $100 for a used MFJ Tuner on ebay. Will also need a power supply so another $65-$100 and the coax cable plus antenna ($150-$200 for 100 feet of RG213 coax and the dipole antenna).

You could be up and running for a little over $800 if you shop around for the tuner, coax, antenna and power supply :)

Antennas - make your own wire antenna. An example is here: http://www.eham.net/articles/28661. You can also make non resonant, but perfectly functional antennas, but you need a tuner (ditching the tuner is the advantage of the resonant antenna). I used a W3EDP antenna for several years with good results... Many places .. Google w3edp ... But here is one design

http://www.qsl.net/w5rin/Projects/Antennas/ae5vv/W3EDPAntennaHandout.pdf

Tuner - if your antenna is reasonably resonant, you don't need one. If you do, a manual can be obtained used n cheap, if the rig you buy doesn't have an internal one.

Coax - (actually feed line - can be coax or twin lead): truthfully depends on what you're trying to do....if you are going, say 50 to 100 feet from your HF radio to a resonant wire antenna, inexpensive rg-8x is fine. If you are running a non resonant antenna, twin lead or ladder line between your antenna and a Balun (for balanced to unbalanced) to convert to coax (which is what the transceiver uses). A tuner usually has a Balun built in, or you can buy or make a Balun. Coax is easier, however. Do you have a similar distance to a VHF or UHF antenna? Get some rg-8...less loss at higher freq.

Rig - Alinco's are fairly cheap. I had a 2 meter fm that worked good, I also had a dx70 that worked ok, but I liked the Icom ic-706 much better, and was a better rig, overall. If I were starting out all over again, I would be keeping my eye open for a good older rig; there are many many many of them out there. I would also be looking for a 20 amp 12 volt supply, because most rigs run on 12 volts, and you'll need one anyway.

If I were starting out again, I would be looking for something like an Icom 706, a yaesu 857, or something like that....that does most everything pretty well. If not that, I would be looking for a decent HF rig-transistor finals, no tubes- and a 2 meter fm mobile. Either of those combinations will give me what I do 90% of the time. I would also add a 2 meter handheld...a basic one, for use when I am going to hamfests and such to keep in touch with my friends. For an antenna, I would erect some sort of tower or mast ... 20 feet at least ... or use a tree, to get a wire antenna up in the clear (for HF), and cap it off with a vertical for 2 meters and perhaps 440 MHz. Eventually I would add a beam for 10, 15, and 20 meters...used, with a used rotor...if I continued in the hobby.

Just to toss a few more ideas. Look at QTH.com for rigs on sale as well. And use EHAM.com and universalradio.com to see what option the radio came with. Dxzone.com is a good site for many answers. Also print out the band plan and keep that were you can see it. It does help keep you from going to far on the dial.

For a first time rig you can go a few ways newer like a Yeasu 857/897D they run about 500 to 700 used to new.

Older and used like a hybrid unit from the early 80 like a Kenwood TS 830 which has solid state controls and tube amp finals.

I say buy a home brewed antenna book, they are easy to built if you can measure wire and solder a few connectors on.

Almost all my gear is used stuff I only bought an antenna tuner and a power supply.

I have almost a full Kenwood TS 820s station set up, only need the R820 to finish it off.

I am perplexed. I have been listening to a repeater, kq2h. It comes in really strong at 146.620. It's supposedly located in upstate NY, but the listing says it's on 10m. Why am I picking it up on 2m?

I hear people from all over the world talking on it.

I am perplexed. I have been listening to a repeater, kq2h. It comes in really strong at 146.620. It's supposedly located in upstate NY, but the listing says it's on 10m. Why am I picking it up on 2m?

I hear people from all over the world talking on it.

It's linked to VHF, you are hearing DX as the band is open and people are working the 10 meter repeater which is designed to come over the 2m VHF repeater.

Here is some info:

Check out my repeater on 29.62 MHZ. It is located in the beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York. The input frequency is 29.52 MHZ with 146.2 HZ CTCSS access. As of February 2007, feel free to join our user group kq2h_repeater at yahoo groups...73 Alex

Source: QRZ.com

Before 9/11 they had equipment/antennas at the World Trade Center from what I've gathered.

It's linked to VHF, you are hearing DX as the band is open and people are working the 10 meter repeater which is designed to come over the 2m VHF repeater.

Thanks. So I can listen to them but obviously not talk to them unless I get into 10m. Correct?