ryan_j

Ham radio

Congrats!

Go get the folks on Navassa Island - N1A - (in the Carribean)...its extremely rare, as its the first time in 20+ years there has been a ham operator on the island.

planned for the first two weeks of February.

http://navassadx.com/

Well I might just go and do that J -

Comments about Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad Band Base/Mobile Two Way Radio: (Source: http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/wouxun/kg-uv950p.aspx)

So I've been running this rig for over 3 months now, and well honestly I couldn't be happier.

Here's a few things to keep in mind about this radio before you buy it.

Let me get the CONS out of the way first...

1.) The Mic keypad is that standard Chinese layout which drives you nuts at first. But after you use it a few times you get used to it. I really disliked the 0 being on the right at first, but then got used to it.

2.) It would be nice if there was a CW ID on the radio. That way you can be fully "legal" if you use the radio in 2way crossband.

3.) There is NO SSB or AM transmit on this radio, and there is AM receive only. If this radio had SSB and AM it would be the PERFECT technician class radio.

Which brings me into the PROS...

1.) This radio is the closest there is to a PERFECT technician class radio. If only it had SSB and AM it would be the BOMB.

2.) The size of the radio is just right. Not too small, not too big, and solidly made.

3.) LOUD volume for those of us that's hard of hearing. But I agree with other reviewers about the volume "1" as being a little too loud. I've found to ways around this. Either set your speakers to "2" and then use the speaker built into the mic lowering the volume with the thumb wheel, OR put the speakers in "1+2" turn down the hand mic speaker all the way then the volume out of the rig is much quieter on "1".

4.) Pretty sensitive receive. When working simplex from your QTH it works pretty good for pulling out those "weak" signals.

5.) Crossband repeater is pretty... no strike that... is VERY good for not having to use a duplexer. Just make sure and do the math before you set up your frequencies and make sure you are NOT withing a 3rd harmonic from VHF to UHF. If you are, it has a LOT of static. Even with another brand or two that has this capability, don't go above half power for the transmit if you're going to use it a lot. If you do, then the radios get HOT. (more on crossband later)

6.) MUCH better performance then the 920. Even though they have similar "guts", you really can tell a difference when using them. The 920 is good, but the audio and all around performance of the 950 is better.

You'll most likely not use the 6m or 10m too much. Reason being there's no SSB or AM on the radio (there is AM receive, but no TX). BUT there is one 6m FM repeater near me, and it does work well on that repeater. I have done some 10m FM work and 6m FM work with the Diamond 8900 antenna and found the range and audio to be more than satisfactory. When using it in my car, I use a high gain lip mount U/V antenna which when paired with this radio gives EXCELLENT performance.

Crossbanding. Be VERY careful when using this feature. Some repeater owners do NOT want you to crossband into their repeaters. They have their reasons, and they are valid. I use the crossband function a LOT, because well we rag chew a LOT on a certain repeater. When I head out, I may go into a building, and am still able to hear the repeater, but my HT just gets scratchy when transmitting. I'm real picky about the signal I put out, because it's a matter of pride and my own OCD. SOOO here is a "legal" example of how I use the crossband on a regular basis. I'll be holding a QSO on the local repeater. Stop car, set my input frequency (WITH PL tone), and then set the radio to DIRECT crossband repeat. It only works one way. I then have a station programmed into my HT which transmits on UHF and listens to VHF. Running the rig on med power, and it extends the range of my HT. I have even set this up to use as a temporary repeater at a remote site with repeater tail and everything, programmed through the rig. The IDing is a little tricky, and yes I have that too, and it's a little dodgey to set up, but it can be done.

I use this radio darn near every day, for about 2 hours every day total (30 min here, 15 min there, etc etc etc) and find it to be a real workhorse. I've held QSO's with others using radios which cost a LOT more, and three months later when I told them what I was using... well... let's just say there's a reason they're out of stock now.

For features and price you can't beat it. It's a solid performer and hasn't failed me yet!

20 watts is a significant increase.

too many people put power before antenna...

I wholeheartedly agree that (in most cases) antenna quality and position (particularly antenna height) trumps power. However, once you have optimized your antenna and transmission line for your situation, there is no place else to go but more watts. In my case, with my Boufeng HT's with  Nagoya NA-771 antennas, I found that going from 5 to 8 watts (more like 7.3 watts according to my inline watt meter) made the difference between just "breaking squelch" on a repeater and annoying the other stations with a weak signal and being able use the repeater with decent signal reports. Ever though the math says that a small jump in power results in a tiny\fractional increase in s-units on the receiving end it may mean the difference between you being able to use the repeater or not. So, if given the choice between buying a radio that outputs 20 watts vs one that outputs 40 (holding everything else constant), I'll take the 40.

Great advice from everybody. Thanks!

I have a lot of thinking to do before I venture beyond 2/0.7 m. I can easily afford the gear but in the past I have had buyer's remorse with electronics. I don't want to get stuck with $5,000 worth of stuff I don't use that often. I'm still feeling this out. And above all despite being on the cusp of my General license I don't think I know a goddamned thing yet about radio. Those of you who've read my gun posts will know what I mean :)

Great advice from everybody. Thanks!

I have a lot of thinking to do before I venture beyond 2/0.7 m. I can easily afford the gear but in the past I have had buyer's remorse with electronics. I don't want to get stuck with $5,000 worth of stuff I don't use that often. I'm still feeling this out. And above all despite being on the cusp of my General license I don't think I know a goddamned thing yet about radio. Those of you who've read my gun posts will know what I mean :)

If I'm ever heading up your way I can bring one of my FT-857 radios and let you fool around with it.

I believe in buying used gear since it's easy to unload and recover what you paid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-FT-857D-HF-Ham-Radio-Tranceiver-/131416466126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e990822ce

Slightly off topic...but:

Did any of you DX'ers have any success with K1N (Navassa) today? Boy...I followed him all over 10 meters for most of the day today as he dodged the jammers and lids. He just completely faded away at my QTH about a half hour ago. I shoulda went to the range instead!

Did any of you DX'ers have any success with K1N (Navassa) today? Boy...I followed him all over 10 meters for most of the day today as he dodged the jammers and lids. He just completely faded away at my QTH about a half hour ago. I shoulda went to the range instead!

From the ARRL website:

Decisions, decisions. Watch the Super Bowl or try to work the K1N Navassa Island DXpedition? Given that the Super Bowl happens every year and that a chance to work Navassa Island (KP1) might not happen again for another 10 years, a multitude of North American operators picked the latter option. Many elsewhere in the world apparently were in less of a quandary. The K1N team operators fired up on 40 and 80 meter CW sometime around 0100 UTC, welcomed by gargantuan pileups — with stations stretching 10 to 20 kHz or more up the band from K1N’s transmit frequency. Preparations are under way to expand operation to other bands.

Stations trying to work K1N should not transmit on the DXpedition’s frequency. K1N will always be operating split frequency.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) controls access to Navassa Island (KP1), and it’s been more than 22 years since it was last activated. ClubLog’s DXCC Most Wanted List puts Navassa Island at #2 overall, right behind North Korea. (KP1 is #1 on phone, #5 on CW, and #4 on digital modes.) K1N will not be operating on all modes on all bands but plans to limit most bands to a specific mode, “so that we can work the pileups down to the last little pistol,” the team has said.

Once on the island, the DXpedition team members reported strong winds, high temperatures, rats as large as cats, scorpions, black widow spiders, and even some Haitians. Eight team members had arrived on the island as of February 1. Six remain in Jamaica.

The team is hoping to have four to six stations up and running by the end of the day (February 2). Plans call for K1N to remain on the air for approximately 10 days.

Late last week, a station, apparently in Europe, was pirating the K1N call sign on CW and RTTY.

I heard K1N on 15M, 59 yesterday but he was operating on the extra/advanced part of the band (I'm a general). Today, could hear him weak but workable on both 10 & 20. I think that 10M propagation was pretty bad today because he said he was putting out 500 watts, but he drifted in and out all day. For me, the Caribbean is usually an easy qso @ 100 watts round trip. To add insult to injury, my elmer texted me, reporting he got them on all modes/all bands that they operated on so far. Well, tomorrow is another day.

I heard K1N on 15M, 59 yesterday but he was operating on the extra/advanced part of the band (I'm a general). Today, could hear him weak but workable on both 10 & 20. I think that 10M propagation was pretty bad today because he said he was putting out 500 watts, but he drifted in and out all day. For me, the Caribbean is usually an easy qso @ 100 watts round trip. To add insult to injury, my elmer texted me, reporting he got them on all modes/all bands that they operated on so far. Well, tomorrow is another day.

Have you worked 6Y5 (Jamaica W.I.) yet? very few active stations in 6Y5, when I lived in Jamaica I was one of only 2 or 3 10M stations.

Would wake up every morning at 5 AM to DX from South/Central America and US, afternoon would shift over to US and Canada and evening/night would fade back to US and South?Central America. Worked thousands of stations on 10m and even ran a 10m beacon.

10 is still a great band, even with a General Class license I always find myself sitting on 10m..

No...no Jamaica DX yet. But I just started on HF in mid December 2014. A shooting buddy of mine saw me playing with my HT at the range one morning and became my unofficial "elmer". He loaned my an HF rig and urged me to get an antenna up. I set up a few dipoles for 10 & 20 in my attic and caught the tail end of the ARRL Centennial QSO party. Because so may stations were on the air and 10 meter prop was unusually good,  I got quite a few DX QSO's. I started focusing on stations that confirm via "Logbook of the World", which cut my "pickins" down quite a bit. My farthest confirmed contacts so far are Hawaii and Moscow.

Do you have any tips for getting nearby states? I can work Europe, Africa, South America and west coast US pretty easily, but I can't even hear stations in neighboring states on 10 meter.

Do you have any tips for getting nearby states? I can work Europe, Africa, South America and west coast US pretty easily, but I can't even hear stations in neighboring states on 10 meter.

Yup - welcome to 10 Meters.  That's the way that band goes.

For "local" states, your best bet is to shift to 40 Meters.

I seriously WANT to get Navassa...back in the 70's, my local club (South Jersey Radio Assn, or SJRA) sponsored a DXpedition to Navassa, but that was before my (ham radio) time.

My problem is I dropped my tower just before the January VHF QSO Party, and found that I had some serious problems with the rotor and antennas.....so the tower is down.  I am going to try to get it back to some semblance of functional this weekend specifically to work Navassa.

If I'm ever heading up your way I can bring one of my FT-857 radios and let you fool around with it.

I believe in buying used gear since it's easy to unload and recover what you paid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yaesu-FT-857D-HF-Ham-Radio-Tranceiver-/131416466126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e990822ce

What would I need to get started with this radio? Sorry for repeating the question. Power supply and antenna correct? I would use it in base mode, not mobile.

What would I need to get started with this radio? Sorry for repeating the question. Power supply and antenna correct? I would use it in base mode, not mobile.

To get started in HF at the house ... other than the radio itself, you would need:

- 20 amp 12 volt power supply (very common used-usually about $40)  Power supplies are the 'lead pipes' of amateur radio - particularly the heavy linear supplies - they just keep going and going and going and going...

- Antenna of some sort.  Start with copper wire and create some sort of dipole outside in the trees, or put up a pole, or something like that.  Feed it with coax.  Of course the size of the dipole is governed by what bands you want to operate, and how much room you have to put them up.  Simple rules are:

- Higher is better.  If you can't get the whole thing up high, put the center feed up as high as you can and let the ends droop down, but keep it where someone won't accidently touch it when you're transmitting.

- Resonant is better (easier to deal with) but not required...if you have a tuner

- Something that looks like this:   http://www.arrl.org/images/view/Licensing__Education_/Getting_on_the_Air/ARRL0113.jpg

- Detail and help with how long it should be:   http://w2so.org/projects/antennas/dipole-antenna

- Tuner - manual or automatic.  Transmitters are picky things....they only want to see a 50 ohm load when they are transmitting.  Its what they are designed to do, and if they don't get what they want, they will either cut back their power or eventually heat-up and burn out a transistor.  The "tuner" just adds inductance and capacitance to the antenna system to make it look like a 50 ohm load, which can also allow the antenna you just made for one band to work on another.  (Just remember, there is no free lunch...heat losses will add-up, and some antennas just wont tune where you want them.)

Tons can be found here: 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=antenna+tuners

Some things about Tuners:

- MFJs are cheap and they work, though some are quirky.  MFJ 941's or 949's work fine and last a long time. 

- LDG autotuners are also cheap and they work, but many sound like a box of rocks while they're tuning.  This is ok...

- A manual tuner with an swr meter on it is an immense help. you can tune one via the radio's meter, but its a pain.

- A tuner with a switch that can switch between antennas and/or bypass the tuner is also an immense help as you progress

Sorry Silence Dogood...that post was from yesterday. I don't see or hear K1N on the air this morning so far on 10 or 20.

Yes he has been working split with a 20 to 30K band that he listens on, and some days he was moving around quite a bit to dodge qrm.

Yesterday, he was transmitting on 28.375 and listening to 28.380 thru 28.410 almost all day...59+ into New Jersey.

Late breaking news @ 1034 hours: My band spotter just listed him as transmitting on 28.320 and listening on 28.510 thru 28.520 and I can hear him drifting in and out  on 28.320.

I have used N3FJP's loggers for years; both the general log program and many of the contest-specific.

http://n3fjp.com/

It says it "supports" HamCall. Do I actually have to download the list or does it access HamCall directly to download pertinent information?

It says it "supports" HamCall. Do I actually have to download the list or does it access HamCall directly to download pertinent information?

No idea...never used Ham Call

I have it tied into QRZ.com and do uploads with it to LOTW