illy

Water

If your well wasn't as deep, probably.   The problem is that no amount of vacuum will allow you to draw water up from 45 feet down.   The pump's impeller should spin and allow water to flow through the pump and even if the impeller didn't spin some water could still move through the pump.   The issue is that 45 feet of water is too heavy.   You could theoretically pressurize the casing of the well and draw on the tubing and blow/suck water out.

It'd be much easier just to figure out a way to activate the pump off of some batteries and an inverter.   That's not a trivial amperage flow, but it's doable with the proper equipment.

I have a generator but i'm looking for a back up if fuel becomes scarce. I don't think my inverter could power my pump even though it the pump runs on 110v.

Well, atmospheric pressure is around 32+ feet this time of the year. Matter of fact, that's a pretty reasonable number year round. You are not going to lift water by suction from 45 feet unless you are air lifting (pneumatic conveyance) or have some other stuff going on.

But, that is not a matter of how deep your well is, or how deep your drop tube is. It is a matter of the water level in the well vs. the height of your pump intake. You can suck water from a tube down at 100 feet if the water level in your well is at 20 feet and the pump intake is 5 feet above ground surface.

The 100 feet doesn't matter, only the 20+5 = 25 feet.

Provided you meet Net Positive Suction Head. Which would include friction losses in the drop tube.

For some reason I dont see anyone mentioning Water BOBs... so either they're so common knowledge they aren't worth mentioning, or people dont know them... lol

http://www.amazon.com/Reservoir-Emergency-Storage-System-Gallons/dp/B00DOMOCCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385957615&sr=8-2&keywords=water+bob

If you have time to prepare a few days or even hours beforehand (like Sandy), these'll be handy. I know a few people who used them in Sandy. Stores up to 100 gallons for a short term solution to a disaster for only $15. Or possibly a more long term solution depending on how many bath tubs you have. :D

I keep a container of 33,000 gallons of very lightly chlorinated water in my back yard :)

me too!

but knowing how to purify water is important.  At least everyone should get one of those 50 gallon blue jugs for water storage or to use as a catch basin..That reminds me, I need to get one!