illy

Home Security

i cant believe anyone in this day and age wouldnt lock both their cars and homes at all times..

I never lock any of my cars. If a thief is going to break into your car, he's going to do it wether it's locked or not & then I'll have a broken window too. If you read the post above he says that during the rash of break-ins, most were unlocked. That means the locked ones got their stuff stolen AND had to replace a window or door lock. If you don't want stuff stolen from your car, don't leave it in there.

I never lock any of my cars. If a thief is going to break into your car, he's going to do it wether it's locked or not & then I'll have a broken window too. If you read the post above he says that during the rash of break-ins, most were unlocked. That means the locked ones got their stuff stolen AND had to replace a window or door lock. If you don't want stuff stolen from your car, don't leave it in there.

Especially don't lock a convertible.

so you leave it unlocked just to make it EASIER for the thiefs?  LOL..  ok..   i dont leave anything in my car (in fact, i never have anything in my car)..  that said, i lock it at all times.  you are more likely to hear someone break a window in your car instead of simply opening the door...  just my theory..   but hey, you dont want to lock your doors, you're absolutely free to do so...

oh, and insurance covers a broken window from a break in AND whatever got stolen..  if it was left unlocked, insurance doesnt necessarily cover the stolen property

so you leave it unlocked just to make it EASIER for the thiefs? LOL.. ok.. i dont leave anything in my car (in fact, i never have anything in my car).. that said, i lock it at all times. you are more likely to hear someone break a window in your car instead of simply opening the door... just my theory.. but hey, you dont want to lock your doors, you're absolutely free to do so...

oh, and insurance covers a broken window from a break in AND whatever got stolen.. if it was left unlocked, insurance doesnt necessarily cover the stolen property

My point is that thieves don't go car to car looking for unlocked ones - they pick cars that they think they can get something from without being seen.

A girl I used to work in had a soft top cut TWICE.

Being a life-long Jeep Wrangle owner, I have had mixed feelings about this over the years. Our first house had a carport. I locked up when the soft top was on anyway, but had nothing of value in the vehicle as parking it without the top on lead me to behave that way. Now with a garage, I park it in there when topless or when the soft top is on for the warmer months, just to stay safe. I now have a locking "hidden" compartment where the good stuff goes.

One neighbor/victim had an empty garage and still parked his Wrangler outside and unlocked. After having items stolen, he's now changed his habits. The rest of the unlocked neighbors were probably too comfortable or lazy and have suffered the consequences.

We each control our own destiny.

My point is that thieves don't go car to car looking for unlocked ones - they pick cars that they think they can get something from without being seen.

Actually they do.  That is exactly what was happening in my town a few years ago.  Thieves would walk around late at night/early in morning and simply try the car door. If it opened they stole mostly loose change or anything of value.  They were getting GPSs, laptops, etc in addition to loose change.  I live in a very densely populated area where many park on or close to the street.

By leaving your car unlocked you are making it easier to be a target.  By leaving valuables in your car and leaving it unlocked you are just asking for trouble.  If you don't leave valuables in your car and lock it why would someone want to break in?  Unless they are trying to steal your car.  Then yes, if they want it they will get it.  But still, why make it that much easier?

Do people who don't lock their cars at night leave their home unlocked as well?  I mean if they want whats in your house they are going to get it any why so why bother locking the door to your home at night?

Actually they do. That is exactly what was happening in my town a few years ago. Thieves would walk around late at night/early in morning and simply try the car door. If it opened they stole mostly loose change or anything of value. They were getting GPSs, laptops, etc in addition to loose change. I live in a very densely populated area where many park on or close to the street.

By leaving your car unlocked you are making it easier to be a target. By leaving valuables in your car and leaving it unlocked you are just asking for trouble. If you don't leave valuables in your car and lock it why would someone want to break in? Unless they are trying to steal your car. Then yes, if they want it they will get it. But still, why make it that much easier?

Do people who don't lock their cars at night leave their home unlocked as well? I mean if they want whats in your house they are going to get it any why so why bother locking the door to your home at night?

If you read my original post, I said that in addition to not locking my car doors, I don't leave anything of value in my cars. I don't really have that option in my house. Years ago when I was a mechanic I replaced a window for a guy that cost him $125.00 to fix. It was broken so they could steal $0.37 from his console. I'm not really sure why I'm being debated on this as it's my choice - I didn't advise anyone else to do it, I was merely answering another posters question of " I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't lock their car doors". Unfortunately, it seems like everything on this site lately goes from 'discussion' to 'debate' almost immediately.

This is a discussion.  I dont see anyone getting rude or nasty or calling anyone names..  (something that can be unusual here)..  However, you gave your reasons for not locking doors.  we gave ours.  you are absolutely free to do whatever you choose, as I mentioned in my post above.  However, just because you choose to do it doesnt necessarily make it the right choice for others.  in my opinion, not locking your car (or home for that matter) is an invitation for trouble. 

Thankfully none of the neighbors/victims had the garage door openers used or stolen. I'd worry about the thieves coming back later with it and getting into the house to steal. They can have my TV, DVD, etc., just don't take the items that can't be replaced... Or firearms...

Petty thieves do go car to car looking for unlocked (ie easy) targets.

Of course, if they're set on getting into your vehicle, they will. Not locking might save you the cost of replacing the window, but it might also make it easier to teakes the car (no lock = alarm not set in most cases).

It's s trade off and both have their advantages/risks.

Are there any sliding glass doors that are shatterproof? Thats my weak point in my home.. annoys me when I think about it.

Have you covered the issue that they can be simply lifted off the tracks? If not, I would defnitely start there.

Open carry is also legal in Philly.

You need a carry permit in public because Philly is a "City of the First Class" *cough*

Petty thieves do go car to car looking for unlocked (ie easy) targets.

Of course, if they're set on getting into your vehicle, they will. Not locking might save you the cost of replacing the window, but it might also make it easier to teakes the car (no lock = alarm not set in most cases).

It's s trade off and both have their advantages/risks.

I always lock mine up. Someones welcome to break the window, but ill be on top of them in about 20 seconds. Light sleeper :)

I always lock mine up. Someones welcome to break the window, but ill be on top of them in about 20 seconds. Light sleeper :)

Same. My cars are parked right outside our bedroom window. That alarm goes off and they'll have a flashlight (at least) pointed at them in less than 30 secs.

Here's a few questions I'll throw out there:

1. My house came prewired with a Brinks security system, though it isn't currently activated. I'd like to turn it back on just to get the audible alarm working, but without activating (and paying) for the monitoring aspect. Anyone have any experience with that?

2. Any suggestions on a reliable and reasonably priced motion detector remote alarm (if there's such a thing)? The way our house is set up, you can't hear the doorbell (much less someone kicking the door down) if you're in the bedroom. And a dog is out of the question since I'm allergic.

3. Any ideas on how to secure a garage door and still have the remote control work without having to get out and unlock the garage? A few years back, a thieves burglarized houses on our block by forcing the garage door open and gaining access into the house from there. I believe that our garage door had been tampered with as well, but they couldn't get it open for whatever reason.

3. Any ideas on how to secure a garage door and still have the remote control work without having to get out and unlock the garage? A few years back, a thieves burglarized houses on our block by forcing the garage door open and gaining access into the house from there. I believe that our garage door had been tampered with as well, but they couldn't get it open for whatever reason.

If it is an overhead door with a standard rail type opener, adjust the opener so that the bar pulling the door up comes to an almost upright position, wedging the door down.  This way it cannot be lifted.

If it is an overhead door with a standard rail type opener, adjust the opener so that the bar pulling the door up comes to an almost upright position, wedging the door down.  This way it cannot be lifted.

I thought they reach in through the door joints with coat hanger and pull the door release lever to cut it loose from the opener. Does this fix that?

I thought they reach in through the door joints with coat hanger and pull the door release lever to cut it loose from the opener. Does this fix that?

If you adjust it to a slight overtravel(past vertical) pulling the rope won't help too much.

Years ago I locked my car that was parked on the street overnight. Some jerk broke the driver's door lock but didn't steal anything. From then on I rarely lock my car doors. I'd rather have my stuff stolen and nothing broken than have my stuff stolen and a broken window or door lock. As far as insurance goes, I don't keep that kind of coverage on an older car.

I lock my car at all times, including in the garage.  It's a habit I doubt will ever change.  Some guy walking up to the car and getting in isn't likely to get noticed.  A guy smashing a window is always more likely to get noticed.

As for the house...just need this by the driveway...

beware.jpg