illy

Other Gear

This is probably obvious, and may belong in another thread, but EVERYONE should have a small bug out bag/disaster bag in their vehicle (space permitting) at all times,. Something with a small amount of dehydrated food or MRE's (2-3 days worth), perhaps a gallon of water, firestarting devices, signaling devices, blankets, ect.... You never know when you will be driving home in a snowstorm late at night, get stuck, and have to spend the night in your car... Or be driving through the woods, have some sort of break down, and not have cell service (or worse, your cell battery is dead or damaged)...  You can be as minimal as a power bar, a water bottle, and a blanket, or go balls to the wall and have enough survival gear to walk across the state. When you're by yourself in a survival situation, every little bit counts. 

And to knock it up a notch, I've come up with a little game me and a couple ex-coworkers like to play. Every now and then, on a day when we have off the next day, we will just drive into the woods(usually not far from the house, just far enough that we're alone) and "camp" so to speak, using nothing but the gear that we have in our disaster kits we keep in our cars. Sometime's I'll sleep in my car, sometimes I'll take all my gear and not allow myself to get back into my car until I leave to go home (simulate a car wreck, or some other reason I wouldn't be able to simply sleep/stay in my car). Sometimes I'll not use certain items in my pack(as if they were lost or unusable for whatever reason), so I can learn to adapt and overcome. It's a fun little game that one can end anytime they get uncomfortable or are needed by the family. I think everyone should practice this at least once.

I believe I have a rather good pack of gear I leave in my truck at all times. If I get a chance, I'll inventory it sometime soon and post everything, so you can get some ideas, or if you see I'm missing something important, you can lemme know. 

Along with all the key supplies for a "get home bag" like fire starter, poncho, shelter, signal device, 2000-4000 calories of food items, water, etc.... A crushed roll of toilet paper in your bag is pretty good idea too.  Sure you can wipe with leaves, but if you don't have to, why would you?

Some paracord, zip ties, duct/gorilla tape, multi tool, lit source, and small FAK are also good to have (I'm sure that was part of the "etc").

Along with all the key supplies for a "get home bag" like fire starter, poncho, shelter, signal device, 2000-4000 calories of food items, water, etc.... A crushed roll of toilet paper in your bag is pretty good idea too.  Sure you can wipe with leaves, but if you don't have to, why would you?

+1 Learned that after my first outing. I had a sleeping bag rated down to 10 degrees, 14 different ways to make fire, 3 days worth of dehydrated food.... but forgot a %&$*ing roll of TP!!

Is it weird that I keep a pair of handcuffs and tactical key in my bag?

Wtf is a "tactical key"

Also be aware of the following...

k. Handcuffs. Any person who knowingly has in his possession handcuffs as defined in P.L.1991, c.437 (C.2C:39-9.2), under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as handcuffs may have, is guilty of a disorderly persons offense. A law enforcement officer shall confiscate handcuffs possessed in violation of the law.

I carry several heavy duty zip ties because they are useful for what you would use handcuffs for... But also for other things... Additionally if ever questioned they are "just zip ties" till they NEED to be something else...

They stay in my vehicle at all times and I have a set in my house and there is a story behind that.  Once I was driving home from walmart and I saw a local cop on the side of the road getting pummled by two guys.  I pulled over and jumped in while yelling to the cop "OFF DUTY OFFICER"  I pulled the one guy off the cop and the other guy got up and took off.  The cop went after the other guy and caught him 50 yards up the street while I stood with my knee in the other dudes back on the ground but he was not restrained.  He could have gotten up and took off at any time.  The cop brought back the other guy and tossed me a pair of cuffs and had me cuff my guy while he  put the one in the car.  It was about then that his back up showed up.  We got the guys put away and got to talking.  I explained I was a CO at the county jail and he said I dont care where you work I appreciate the hell out of you right now!  He also said since i was law enforcement I should always keep a set of cuffsi n my car.  That was almost 6 years ago and there has been a pair in my car every day since. I have never been thanked so much.  This was also in another state.  However I have had NJ cops pull me over and they saw them somehow and started to question me but didnt make a stink about them at all and it was before I got a LEO job in nj! 

But you have a great point with the zip ties.  The issue for me is those are limited use. 

Oh and this is a tactical cuff key:

ZT14-lg.jpg

That's what I carried in the county. Had it on the inside of my uniform, clipped to my vest's plate pocket, hanging inside the pocket. Sure wish I was allowed to carry it where I work now. Those regular cuff keys are a pain in the butt.

"OV Relief" (organic vapor relief) N95/99/100 DOP dust masks.

These are dust masks that are not certified for protection, but are treated to provide "relief" from organic vapors and/or acid gasses in addition to a true DOP particulate protection rating. I HAVE been driving down the highway and encountered a burning chemical plant or tanker and put one of these on. Over the years I have kept one in my fag bag and/or glove box/center console in a plastic quart freezer bag. None of the End of the World Commandos are actually going to throw on a pro-mask/respirator in such a situation. First, you won't have it within reach, second, some cop will probably pull you over if not shoot at you.

I have also thrown them on doing site walks through chemical plants when I developed reason to be concerned about exposure. I threw one on when a delivery at PVSC made my contractors run away and leave the area due to an intolerable and nauseating smell, and was able to remain. I threw one on for a brief exposure to Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) atmosphere that I knew was dangerous but would not actually harm me (don't tell the "O" people) and the odor was gone. I was once working on the roof of a VA hospital when I saw a sign that said extreme biological danger - protection required. They said the filter was working fine and they walked past it once a week, I decided to reach in my fag bag and throw on the mask.

These are not things that are appropriate or even legal for protection against occupational exposure, not something to bring when you expect trouble, but they are something you can have on you at all times and WILL provide some escape protection factor against OV, acid gas, or bio that certainly could be enough to save your life or prevent injury in the event of a chemical release or fire.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-masks/=q1d9ye

"OV Relief" (organic vapor relief) N95/99/100 DOP dust masks.

These are dust masks that are not certified for protection, but are treated to provide "relief" from organic vapors and/or acid gasses in addition to a true DOP particulate protection rating. I HAVE been driving down the highway and encountered a burning chemical plant or tanker and put one of these on. Over the years I have kept one in my fag bag and/or glove box/center console in a plastic quart freezer bag. None of the End of the World Commandos are actually going to throw on a pro-mask/respirator in such a situation. First, you won't have it within reach, second, some cop will probably pull you over if not shoot at you.

I have also thrown them on doing site walks through chemical plants when I developed reason to be concerned about exposure. I threw one on when a delivery at PVSC made my contractors run away and leave the area due to an intolerable and nauseating smell, and was able to remain. I threw one on for a brief exposure to Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) atmosphere that I knew was dangerous but would not actually harm me (don't tell the "O" people) and the odor was gone. I was once working on the roof of a VA hospital when I saw a sign that said extreme biological danger - protection required. They said the filter was working fine and they walked past it once a week, I decided to reach in my fag bag and throw on the mask.

These are not things that are appropriate or even legal for protection against occupational exposure, not something to bring when you expect trouble, but they are something you can have on you at all times and WILL provide some escape protection factor against OV, acid gas, or bio that certainly could be enough to save your life or prevent injury in the event of a chemical release or fire.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-masks/=q1d9ye

I actually read something somewhere saying if you take 2 of these, and put charcoal powder (carbon powder) in between them, and seal it in with tape, and wear them both, it becomes significantly better breathing protection... I'ma have to look that up when I get some time, see if I can find the article again... 

To add to the mask idea: make sure you try them in in advance and ensure they give you a good fit. Also make sure you can comfortably breathe with it on as many people become claustrophobic while wearing an N95 or greater mask. I wear an N95 nearly every day at work for hours at a time so I know they take some getting used to

I actually read something somewhere saying if you take 2 of these, and put charcoal powder (carbon powder) in between them, and seal it in with tape, and wear them both, it becomes significantly better breathing protection... I'ma have to look that up when I get some time, see if I can find the article again... 

It won't do crap. There will be too much short circuiting. Even if your "charcoal powder (carbon powder)" is true activated cabon that you have kept sealed up since it came from the factory to prevent it from going spent. Unless you pile that crap so thick between the two masks that you have a true packed bed adsorber. If you have that much unspent activated GAC and dust masks lying around you would probably do better with something designed and manufactured to work.

The ones I linked to actually work.

If you actually find yourself standing there with a bunch of GAC, no protective equipment, and a sudden chemical challenge, I suggest you put the GAC into a toilet paper or other tube, tape both ends with seems/holes for air, hold your nose and use the tube as a snorkel of sorts. That seems extremely unlikely, but there it is :)

Dryer lint makes amazing tinder, I melt wax mix it with dryer lint and a bit of lighter fluid, boom easier fire you could ever make

My favorite method is to collect a bunch of dryer lint, stuff it in an empty cardboard toilet paper tube, and then fill it with melted wax.  I stuff it in stages, filling it with lint and then pouring wax, adding more lint, etc.  Once it cools, it'll solidify and then you can slice off a disk whenever you need to light a fire.  Scrape some lint on the disk, and it'll take a spark really well.

I've also seen it done with cardboard egg cartons, but I like how compact the tube method is, and you can just shave off whatever you need when you need it.

Another handy tinder/firestarter method I've tried is to take 2" pieces of drinking straw, stuff it with cotton ball bits covered in vaseline, and then you pinch the ends of the straw closed with heated plier jaws.  Keeps everything dry, and you just slice it open when you want to start a fire.

My favorite method is to collect a bunch of dryer lint, stuff it in an empty cardboard toilet paper tube, and then fill it with melted wax. I stuff it in stages, filling it with lint and then pouring wax, adding more lint, etc. Once it cools, it'll solidify and then you can slice off a disk whenever you need to light a fire. Scrape some lint on the disk, and it'll take a spark really well.

I've also seen it done with cardboard egg cartons, but I like how compact the tube method is, and you can just shave off whatever you need when you need it.

I'm gonna try it that way next

dunno if this belongs in here or not......but.......

most of us wear hats i believe? whelp.....head on out to loews, and look for an item called a powercap. it's a plain old baseball cap, but it's got 4 led's built into the brim/sunshade/thing that sticks out the front/whatever that part's called. they're not crazy bright, but they're bright enough for use in emergency. this way, you ALWAYS have a light right in reach, no matter where yer at.

I know a lot of people carry water in their cars in case of emergency but what do you do if it freezes? I keep a small water filter in my car but no water.

You might be surprised how long it takes for it to freeze assuming you drive your card daily and run the heater. Water has a lot of heat mass. Sure, on a week like this one all bets are off, but on most winters a case of water in your car should be fine. Although I drive an SUV, so heat gets all over, maybe in a trunk it won't.