sixgun

quick Clot?

2-3 years, isn't it?  I prefer Celox as it doesn't cause burns the way QC did/does.  Not sure if they reformulated to take care of that.  Works great through.  One of my dogs ripped a nail off between the boards on the deck and had a gusher of a wound.  We wrapped his foot with some gauze (the kind that only sticks to itself) packed with Celox and it stopped his bleeding pretty quickly.

My wife and i took the course at Gun For Hire, course was very good. 

I do believe the changed the formula to stop the burn.. 

course was taught by a veteran of the gulf war and has used it in the field..Said he would only use quick clot and not the other brand. Their are two different types of quick clot i have the Guaze style in my range bag..

http://www.theemsstore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/345/ZMedica-QuikClot-Combat-Gauze/?gclid=CJvK68ux07oCFQyg4AodTXoAHA

Quik-Clot bandages are the way to go.  No messy powder. 

And, yes, it's reformulated from the stuff that burns.    I keep a few Quik-Clots and a few Izzy bandages in all my FAKs.  

Izzy bandage:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISRAELI-EMERGENCY-BANDAGE-4-exp-2017-LOT-of-2-/151159017826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2331c79162

I have some QC, along with some other first aid supplies, but I really only have a general idea of how to use them.  I've been looking around for a useful first aid class (mostly trauma, as I'm already CPR certified), but have yet to find one at a convenient place and time.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have one in every car, got them for my parents' cars, have one in my hunting bag, one in my range bag.  For $9 on Amazon (approx. when I bought mine) you might as well have one everywhere that you or a family member may get cut/injured.  I never used it (so far), but it has to be better than nothing in an emergency.

2-3 years, isn't it?  I prefer Celox as it doesn't cause burns the way QC did/does.  Not sure if they reformulated to take care of that.  Works great through.  One of my dogs ripped a nail off between the boards on the deck and had a gusher of a wound.  We wrapped his foot with some gauze (the kind that only sticks to itself) packed with Celox and it stopped his bleeding pretty quickly.

My only issue with Celox is it uses chitosan (shellfish) and can may cause some serious side effects if the person has a shellfish allergy.  I'm not sure if that is still the case but when it first came out that was a concern.

I prefer the quick clot impregnated gauze because it is not as messy as the powder and you can stuff that in wounds to create a clot and wrap the wound as well.  If only NJ DOHSS would allow EMT's to use it in the field I would be ecstatic.   Just learned today we can! (With some restrictions, shocker) Time to go get a purchase order together!

edited for new info.

Just do you selves a favor and grab a box of Nitrile gloves (not latex to avoid allergies) and keep some with any first aid kit you have. It's one thing to work on yourself or a family member but you ALWAYS want gloves if you working on a stranger, especially when they're bleeding. Just like a gun, all blood is treated at contaminated unless proven otherwise.

The sponges are accesible and decent. Forget what brand, but I'd also include the treated gauze as a good idea as it makes wound packing simpler. Even if you don't know what to do with them particularly well, having the basic gear on hand for anyone with trianing who gets on scene ASAP is never a bad thing. 

If you are thinking of putting together a blow out kit seriously look at also adding a tourniquet. There are many out there the CAT is a quick and easy one to use. With all medical supplies make sure you get some real training on it before you use it (not youtube training).

My only issue with Celox is it uses chitosan (shellfish) and can may cause some serious side effects if the person has a shellfish allergy.  I'm not sure if that is still the case but when it first came out that was a concern.

I prefer the quick clot impregnated gauze because it is not as messy as the powder and you can stuff that in wounds to create a clot and wrap the wound as well.  If only NJ DOHSS would allow EMT's to use it in the field I would be ecstatic.   Just learned today we can! (With some restrictions, shocker) Time to go get a purchase order together!

edited for new info.

Do you have a reference that the NJDHHS is now allowing quick clot. Nobody in my squad has mentioned anything about this and I'd like to bring it to the higher ups in my squads attention.

I do not have a reference yet, but was told the quicklot material has to be contained in a tea bag like container or the impregnated gauze type, so that it can be easily removed. (No dumping powder into the wound).  When I found out I was also told that it was okay to do that for a while now.  When I'm on duty crew tonight I'll look because I want to order it for my other squad.

Do you have a reference that the NJDHHS is now allowing quick clot. Nobody in my squad has mentioned anything about this and I'd like to bring it to the higher ups in my squads attention.

That was my understanding as well. I was always told its outside our scope.

I couldn't find anything on the states website about it, but that is not a surprise its a joke trying to find something. The other possibility is that his medical director okayed and gave them training on it.  He could be wrong as well.

Quick Clot is NOT currently approved for NJ EMS Lisenced Units (non Lisenced ambulances fall into a grey area). NJ has more hospitals and trauma centers per capita then any other state in the country (2010 statistics). NJ also has a large number of Aeromedical units. With these things in mind; in the event of a traumatic injury a person in NJ will receive quick medical attention and rapid transportation to a trauma center, Quick Clot will not make much or a difference.

In 20 years of EMS service I have seen a lot trauma patients and a lot of blood. I have watched people bleed out and die before getting them to a trauma center or chopper. Most of these people would have bled out weither or not I had quick clot. I am unable to recall a person I have cared for who would have been saved with quick clot.

Don't get me wrong, it has its place especially in places where help is far away but I don't think it's place is in NJ EMS.

The Coast Star just had an article about the Wall Townsip squads and PD being issued QC and having already used it.

West Marine now carries it as well.

Police, emergency vehicles were recently equipped with Quik Clot

By Shannon Connelly

WALL TOWNSHIP — Police and emergency medical service vehicles in Wall Township are now equipped with a new product — Quik Clot.

Quik Clot helps clot blood within minutes of application and is safe, effective and easy to use, according to Wall Police Lt. Christopher Tango. Every police car and ambulance in Wall Township has recently started carrying the product.

Quik Clot can be used in the event someone has a laceration or heavy bleeding. It contains a mineral called kaolin that has been clinically shown to accelerate the body’s natural coagulation.

Within the first week of the product being available to the department, emergency responders were able to successfully use it on a patient that had an arm laceration, Lt. Tango said.

Emergency medical technician Jackie Lauber said the product is used when there is traumatic bleeding involved.

“Wherever the cut was, you would just simply apply it to the site, wrap it with a bandage and transport them to the hospital,” she said.

According to Lt. Tango, the product is designed for use by healthcare professionals, emergency response personnel and law enforcement. It is also used by the military, he said.

http://starnewsgroup.com/weekly/2013/11.21.13/wall_s_emerg_11.21.13_55890.html

Quick Clot is NOT currently approved for NJ EMS Lisenced Units (non Lisenced ambulances fall into a grey area). NJ has more hospitals and trauma centers per capita then any other state in the country (2010 statistics). NJ also has a large number of Aeromedical units. With these things in mind; in the event of a traumatic injury a person in NJ will receive quick medical attention and rapid transportation to a trauma center, Quick Clot will not make much or a difference.

In 20 years of EMS service I have seen a lot trauma patients and a lot of blood. I have watched people bleed out and die before getting them to a trauma center or chopper. Most of these people would have bled out weither or not I had quick clot. I am unable to recall a person I have cared for who would have been saved with quick clot.

Don't get me wrong, it has its place especially in places where help is far away but I don't think it's place is in NJ EMS.

You are assuming things will always be running smoothly.

And +1 to the guy who commented on the powdered stuff.  I actually used it on myself a few years ago.  My GF bumped me when I was cutting a steak w. a very sharp knife.  I cut the top third of my left hand thumb pad 3/4's of the way off.  It was dangling in the breeze and bleeding like a stuck pig.  I pushed it back together and instructed her to pour the packet contents on it and wrap it in gauze.  Sure enough, the bleeding stopped pretty quickly. 

10 minutes later I was in the ER.  Dr said, "Why did you use that?  Now I have to open the wound and scrub it all out."  And he did.  Without any local anesthesia.  He then proceeded to tell me about the "new" Quik-Clot bandages.  Lesson learned!