CMJeepster

The Generator Thread

41 minutes ago, Malsua said:

On a Nat Gas, you're probably low pressure from the main regulator so you'd need a big pipe and bigger than standard regulator.

I agree with the larger pipe, due to lower pressure, but probably won't need another regulator, since it's regulated at the meter. I have a NG fired pool heater, and they ran a separate looks like 1-1/2" pipe directly from the meter in front of the house all the way to the heater in the back yard. At the low pressure, these appliances need more volume.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zeke said:
17 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Wind speeds?

A few knots....

We've got JCP&L power, so we're toast.   A few knots is all it takes to knock JCP&L customers offline.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the probability map, the chances for tropical wind speeds in NJ is about 10-20 percent depending on where in NJ.

This is pretty low, so I wouldn't expect another storm like we saw a few weeks back.

It will be breezy and rainy.  It may pick up some energy one it gets back over water and heads to the NE and runs up to Cape Cod.

13 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Looking at the probability map, the chances for tropical wind speeds in NJ is about 10-20 percent depending on where in NJ.

This is pretty low, so I wouldn't expect another storm like we saw a few weeks back.

It will be breezy and rainy.  It may pick up some energy one it gets back over water and heads to the NE and runs up to Cape Cod.

Never ass ume 

6 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

You're gonna need a minimum of a 1" pipe to feed the beast. Do you have that near where you intend to put the genset? Is it before or after your furnace/water heater? I think a plumber would size the piping for the BTU use total on the line. Which wouldn't be the case if the power is out. Best of course is to have it on its own supply direct from the meter. Not always necessary in an emergency. If you want to heat the house, cook diner, take 3 showers, and run the generator all at the same time, you may have a problem. If you want a whole house power supply for everything and not worry about it. Get a supply line sized to the max load.

I had a problem one day at my house. We noticed while the stove was on, if the water heater kicked-in, my stove went out! This was after PSE&G replaced a bunch of gas lines in our area. My stove worked fine and wasn't too old, the water heater was brand new. It was just coincidence that someone was taking a shower while we were cooking.

I put two and two together and shut off the water heater, stove had no issues. Turned the oven on, the stove went out! Tried two top burners at the same time, they would stay lit, but nowhere near what they should have been.

Had PSE&G come out and showed them, the clowns wouldn't listen to me. Did all sorts of tests, replaced the meter, still not enough flow. They finally dug up the pipe in the street and found a ton of crud in it, and that crud made its way to my brand new water heater. They paid to replace it. Somehow the crud didn't hurt the stove, but I bought a new one anyway.

7 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

You're gonna need a minimum of a 1" pipe to feed the beast. Do you have that near where you intend to put the genset? Is it before or after your furnace/water heater? I think a plumber would size the piping for the BTU use total on the line. Which wouldn't be the case if the power is out. Best of course is to have it on its own supply direct from the meter. Not always necessary in an emergency. If you want to heat the house, cook diner, take 3 showers, and run the generator all at the same time, you may have a problem. If you want a whole house power supply for everything and not worry about it. Get a supply line sized to the max load.

would have to look but I'm thinking it's 1/2" it's 3/4" at the end where I thought about putting the generator.

Hence why I asked about pipe vs. electrical. :D

House feed is 1" inside the building.  I'm figuring it's that at the outlet of the meter.  could be stepped down though. don't feel like going and looking.

Several days ago I  ordered a Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit for my EU3000is.   I like the fact that the propane pressure regulators are at the tank side and do not have to be mounted on the generator.  Looking forward to receiving and installing it.  Will post an update when I do.

The video below shows it in use.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sota said:

would have to look but I'm thinking it's 1/2" it's 3/4" at the end where I thought about putting the generator.

Hence why I asked about pipe vs. electrical. :D

House feed is 1" inside the building.  I'm figuring it's that at the outlet of the meter.  could be stepped down though. don't feel like going and looking.

You can get 60' of 6/3 stranded romex for around $160 if that helps. 

18 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

I had a problem one day at my house. We noticed while the stove was on, if the water heater kicked-in, my stove went out! This was after PSE&G replaced a bunch of gas lines in our area. My stove worked fine and wasn't too old, the water heater was brand new. It was just coincidence that someone was taking a shower while we were cooking.

I put two and two together and shut off the water heater, stove had no issues. Turned the oven on, the stove went out! Tried two top burners at the same time, they would stay lit, but nowhere near what they should have been.

Had PSE&G come out and showed them, the clowns wouldn't listen to me. Did all sorts of tests, replaced the meter, still not enough flow. They finally dug up the pipe in the street and found a ton of crud in it, and that crud made its way to my brand new water heater. They paid to replace it. Somehow the crud didn't hurt the stove, but I bought a new one anyway.

I just renovated my kitchen and replaced the water heater and furnace at the same time (heater died and got a deal on a larger hot water heater at the same time).  A few weeks later, the oven wasn't getting up to temperature, nor was the HWH.  Had gas smell.  Called Elizabethtown Gas.  They wound up excavating the T at the street.  Same thing with crud.  They wound up replacing the water heater on their dime.  Such a waste...

On 8/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

Several days ago I  ordered a Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit for my EU3000is.   I like the fact that the propane pressure regulators are at the tank side and do not have to be mounted on the generator.  Looking forward to receiving and installing it.  Will post an update when I do.

The video below shows it in use.

Just received the propane conversion kit yesterday. Took about three weeks to arrive, so patience is required.  I will post an update once I install it.  Am pleased with the design and looks like a relatively easy installation. The propane enters the engine via an adapter plate that mounts between the air filter housing and carburetor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Just received the propane conversion kit yesterday. Took about three weeks to arrive, so patience is required.  I will post an update once I install it.  Am pleased with the design and looks like a relatively easy installation. The propane enters the engine via an adapter plate that mounts between the air filter housing and carburetor.

Brand?