CMJeepster

The Generator Thread

Did the final site work required in my town for my Genny yesterday.

We are required to have an evergreen screen that totally blocks the view of the genny from my neighbors.

Of the 5 houses surrounding mine, only one could physically see the genset, but my zoning still requires a full screen.

Fortunately the shrubs are allowed to "grow" into place "within 2 years".

Genny_landscape_6_small_zps96c6688d.jpg

I grew up in HL, I remember "Mastodon Sports", I think it was called back then (early 60's). We used to get our fishing gear, nite crawlers, BBs and 22lr there.

Same here-- grew up in Canistear Rd!

Did a test run of the generator & manual transfer switch this past weekend.   Have a Briggs & Stratton 6200 watt generator that runs on gasoline.  If we got a crazy early snow storm again this year, I think I'd be just fine, but I'd still like to give it an oil change next weekend and bump out my gas supply a bit further.

Have also been looking to get a 2nd generator, a la "two is one, one is none".  Would like to diversify the fuel I'm reliant on by getting one that runs on propane, but I've been a little dissapointed with how much more limited the market is for portable generators that run on propane & feature the output/features I'd be looking for.  I tend to come across the same handfull of models where the collective feedback available averages out to a collective "meh", at best.

Did a test run of the generator & manual transfer switch this past weekend.   Have a Briggs & Stratton 6200 watt generator that runs on gasoline.  If we got a crazy early snow storm again this year, I think I'd be just fine, but I'd still like to give it an oil change next weekend and bump out my gas supply a bit further.

Have also been looking to get a 2nd generator, a la "two is one, one is none".  Would like to diversify the fuel I'm reliant on by getting one that runs on propane, but I've been a little dissapointed with how much more limited the market is for portable generators that run on propane & feature the output/features I'd be looking for.  I tend to come across the same handfull of models where the collective feedback available averages out to a collective "meh", at best.

Why buy a propane powered generator. You'd probably be better of buying a regular generator that is what you want and then doing the tri-fuel conversion to it.

Why buy a propane powered generator. You'd probably be better of buying a regular generator that is what you want and then doing the tri-fuel conversion to it.

Funny you should mention that.  Not long after putting up that post, I had done a bit of googling & research that had led me to discussions about tri-fuel generator conversion.  I'm not super confident about my own ability to install such a kit, but I came across a website where they offer Yamaha generator's with the US Carburetion kit's already installed.  They cost enough that I'll probably have to plan on making it my new primary generator & selling my current generator to offset the expense a bit, but I'm thinking it'll be my next step when I can afford such a purchase.

My head is spinning round and round reading about generators all week long.

Sort of narrowing down to these two , any thoughts / personal experiences on these two ?

First is the Generac GP 7500 Watt with Electric Start

e724222e-8a0a-4a8b-b237-cd16a7143379_300

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP7500-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-5943/202851447

or the Powerstroke 6800 electric start, with Honda engine

6f1bb259-7a57-4684-ba7d-fa4dcb23c44c_300

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerStroke-6800-Watt-Generator-Honda-GX390-Electric-Start-PS907000A/204401587?keyword=powerstroke+6800

The Generac 7500 has a TON of good reviews, and has a 700 more watts over the powerstroke, and is 50 bucks cheaper. But is the extra 50 dollars and 700 less watts worth having the Honda engine? But i'm a bit weary because I cannot find many reviews on the power stroke.

Both will eventually getting the US CARB tri-fuel conversion, ( assuming elizabeth town gas will run natural gas to my house )

My head is spinning round and round reading about generators all week long.

Sort of narrowing down to these two , any thoughts / personal experiences on these two ?

First is the Generac GP 7500 Watt with Electric Start

e724222e-8a0a-4a8b-b237-cd16a7143379_300

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP7500-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-5943/202851447

or the Powerstroke 6800 electric start, with Honda engine

6f1bb259-7a57-4684-ba7d-fa4dcb23c44c_300

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerStroke-6800-Watt-Generator-Honda-GX390-Electric-Start-PS907000A/204401587?keyword=powerstroke+6800

The Generac 7500 has a TON of good reviews, and has a 700 more watts over the powerstroke, and is 50 bucks cheaper. But is the extra 50 dollars and 700 less watts worth having the Honda engine? But i'm a bit weary because I cannot find many reviews on the power stroke.

Both will eventually getting the US CARB tri-fuel conversion, ( assuming elizabeth town gas will run natural gas to my house )

I wouldn't sweat the amperage difference unless you've done the math and figured out you need it.   6800 watts is a lot of power. 

As for Honda vs Generac they both are going to work just fine for a random occasional outage.   If you needed power daily, you should look at a Honda generator, not something with just a Honda engine.

As I mentioned in a different thread, my neighbor works on generators for a living.  His issues with Generacs are all non critical path(I.e. it's mostly batteries and other non critical items) and he bought himself that exact 7500 because it's a good deal at the price point.

I had a Generac 4000XL that ran a lot, gave it to my Father in law and it still starts on the first pull.  Of course, It;s on the 3rd carb but that was due to ethanol mostly and because it's the most popular brand of generator, parts are cheap.

I have a Generac 14kw stand-by.   It's not given me the slightest problem.

I would say buy the Generac and be done with it. 

The great thing about honda generator is that they are usually much quieter. Do they give the output decibels? You will absolutely want the quietest one you can get, even if it costs a bit more.

The genset he has pictured is NOT a Honda generator.  It has a Honda engine.  Full-on Honda gensets cost a few thousand more.  The generator head, wiring and controls are much better than the one pictured. 

The great thing about honda generator is that they are usually much quieter. Do they give the output decibels? You will absolutely want the quietest one you can get, even if it costs a bit more.

I'm fortunate that I have a former cement block garage 10' behind my house. I run my gen in there, close the door but for a few inches, hook up the NG hose and electric  and we hardly hear it in the house and is also barely audible from the street.

Well, I picked up a generator today .

It's an ( actual ) Honda EM 5000 SX , it runs. Needs a little TLC , it's a little weathered, and grimy - little elbow grease 

But hey, for $400 dollars , I think it was a pretty good score.

It's probably a little older, hopefuly worth the gamble, I'll tear into it and give it a tune up 

edit: called honda up, gave them serial number - Generator is circa 2004

11326406854_f1cc94082a_b.jpg

If it works (or can be made working for not too much more money) sounds like some score, as new they go for a little more than $2,000 MORE than what you paid according to this link: http://www.allbrands.com/products/39145-honda-em5000sx-generator-5000w-120-240v-ac-12v-dc

Honda is doing a PAID survey of people who have standby generators(i.e. fixed installations, not portables), 3k or larger.  I'm not trying to be cryptic here, simply that I would refer anyone who is interested to where I found the post.

Here:  http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblowerforums-lounge/11545-generator-survey.html#post116282

I contacted the email in the link and was contacted by Danielle @ honda and a date was scheduled.

They're not saying how much this pays, but Honda has been generous in the past.   I figure if nothing else, it'll buy a pizza or two.

Hey Malsua, thanks for the tip.  Your right, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Sent an e-mail in, see what they have to say.

Yeah, and the fantasy would be an all expense paid Honda Generator to try :)     

Realistically I'm expecting a $25 visa card and anything over that is fantastic.

So I've bought...

PowerMate 5500W pull start (me, circa 2007)

PowerMate 5500W pull start (client, circa 2011)

Generac 7000W electric start (client, circa 2011)

Harbor Freight 7500W electric start (Mom and 2 other clients, circa, 2012)

My PowerMate easily has 400 hours on it.

the Generac is pushing 100 hours.

the client's PowerMate is about 50 hours.

the 3 Harbor Freight ones haven't seen any duty other than break-in and occasional test runs.

I'll be buying a HF unit for myself in the coming months as I'm working on some other things involving a transfer switch and remote start.

Got an answer back from Honda.  Going to stop by 1/31 in the afternoon. See what they have offer/say.

Yeah, they're coming to my place on the 30th in the afternoon.  I'll give you a heads up and we can compare notes afterward.

I'm going to feel like a real dick if they give us a $5 Starbucks card. lol.

Nobody's arm got twisted to sign up.

What is to lose except some time? My guess is they want to get into the standby market and want to have a product that will be in demand.

I have an idea or two I would like to share.