Jump to content
CMJeepster

The Generator Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

10W-30 natural.

Propane burns cleaner and cooler than gasoline, so it does not break down or corrupt the oil as fast.  100hrs still seems like a lot to me though.

 

There is an issue with synthetic oils and ash content in propane and natural gas engines.   You need to make sure you're using a Low-ash synthetic.  Heavy Duty Engine Oils(HDEO) like Rotella T6 should not be used in these engines due to ash content.

As for hours, just follow the MFG recommendation and you'll never have a problem.  

My 14KW Standby has oil changes at 2 years or 200 hours of operation, whichever comes first.

I've definitely exceeded that in that I've changed oils quite a bit more often then recommended.  In fact, I should probably do it again.  The oil comes out looking as clean as it goes in, so I'm not particularly worried.

I do run Mobil 1, 5W-30.    Even though the manual suggests different oils, including DINO oil if it's over 0 degrees, Generac says that synthetic is appropriate at any temp range, so that's what I run.    I can't change the oil out twice a year like winter tires.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malsua said:

There is an issue with synthetic oils and ash content in propane and natural gas engines.   You need to make sure you're using a Low-ash synthetic.  Heavy Duty Engine Oils(HDEO) like Rotella T6 should not be used in these engines due to ash content.

As for hours, just follow the MFG recommendation and you'll never have a problem.  

My 14KW Standby has oil changes at 2 years or 200 hours of operation, whichever comes first.

I've definitely exceeded that in that I've changed oils quite a bit more often then recommended.  In fact, I should probably do it again.  The oil comes out looking as clean as it goes in, so I'm not particularly worried.

I do run Mobil 1, 5W-30.    Even though the manual suggests different oils, including DINO oil if it's over 0 degrees, Generac says that synthetic is appropriate at any temp range, so that's what I run.    I can't change the oil out twice a year like winter tires.

 

I ran mobil 1 in my old genny and it was fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is quite hard to drain, so when I exercise the generator I just add enough gas for 20-30 minutes, and run it dry. 

If I've used it post-storm, I pump out as much gas as I can with a handheld fuel pump, then run it dry.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

I may siphon what I can and then run dry

Something to keep an eye on if you’re draining or running out the gasoline is the shutoff valve if equipped with one. On my Ariens snow blower the second season after dumping the fuel at the end of the first season the shutoff failed.  I had it repaired and the tech said don’t dump the fuel, just put stabilizer in it otherwise it will dry out and will need to be replaced again. I was one of the early adopters here on the forum with the Tri Fuel conversation kit so I don’t know if my gen's gasoline shutoff still works or not. you might want to keep that in mind if yours is equipped with a shut off that you plan to use at some point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some good info here

21 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Something to keep an eye on if you’re draining or running out the gasoline is the shutoff valve if equipped with one. On my Ariens snow blower the second season after dumping the fuel at the end of the first season the shutoff failed.  I had it repaired and the tech said don’t dump the fuel, just put stabilizer in it otherwise it will dry out and will need to be replaced again. I was one of the early adopters here on the forum with the Tri Fuel conversation kit so I don’t know if my gen's gasoline shutoff still works or not. you might want to keep that in mind if yours is equipped with a shut off that you plan to use at some point

I convereted my old one to trifuel and will do the same here.  it's the best option imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. For short outages, has anyone looked at battery storage units like the Goal Zero Yeti or Ego Power station? Where I live, we're usually just out for hours, not days. I'd just want to run the fridge, internet and some lights. My sump and garage door openers have battery backups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SIGMan Freud said:

Interesting thread. For short outages, has anyone looked at battery storage units like the Goal Zero Yeti or Ego Power station? Where I live, we're usually just out for hours, not days. I'd just want to run the fridge, internet and some lights. My sump and garage door openers have battery backups. 

Very few small battery backups will keep a regular sized fridge going for any length of time.  A Tesla powerwall, no problem.  That Goal Zero Yeti?  Not enough juice to hold it up for any length of time.

If I could have only one thing, it'd be the fridge.  Everything else is secondary, but the fridge and freezer will cost money.  Well pump is also a biggie if you're on a well and septic like I am but there are options.  You can drink bottled and flush with rain water.

I used a 900 watt inverter to run our fireplace insert for years.  I powered it with a 12v deep cycle battery.  Then I got a Generac 4000xl and it could keep me going, fridge, lights, well, no issue.  Now I have the 14KW standby and it's been a gem.

I'm really looking hard at the Generac GP2200i for my Florida house.  It's 1/3rd the cost of the Honda EU2000 and has the same function.  Small, quiet and can run the fridge, some lights and charge phones.  Good enough.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Malsua said:

If I could have only one thing, it'd be the fridge.  Everything else is secondary, but the fridge and freezer will cost money.  Well pump is also a biggie if you're on a well and septic like I am but there are options.  You can drink bottled and flush with rain water.

 

 

Not me. Flushing toilets comes first on my list. Second- heat or A/C depending on the weather. Fridge is third.

During Sandy we were out 5 days, no generator, and everything in the fridge stayed reasonably cold. Granted, it was 54 degrees in the house at night.   

In the summer, as this last outage everything in the freezer probably would have thawed out in under two days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

2 0z of Stabil in 5 gallons will last for years.  I never run any of mine out.

you now have me interested in running a test.

I know gas "yellows" pretty darn quickly, which means it's going bad.  I wonder if stabil will stop the color change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Not me. Flushing toilets comes first on my list. Second- heat or A/C depending on the weather. Fridge is third.

During Sandy we were out 5 days, no generator, and everything in the fridge stayed reasonably cold. Granted, it was 54 degrees in the house at night.   

In the summer, as this last outage everything in the freezer probably would have thawed out in under two days.

running water and working refridgeration for food are my top two, with heat a close third.
I can survive without A/C, and I have a wood burning fireplace.  really the biggest concern is the pipes freezing, but I bet in an emergency of that nature I could draw down all the plumbing that's upstairs, and just keep the powder room pressurized, since it's right next to the family room fireplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sota said:

how is it different than the "consumer" red stuff?

Supposed to be better. Never really researched why. 

I'm working on a bottle of Kohler Pro series fuel stabilizer that looks to be rebranded Marine Sta-bil.

Part # 2535736S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Malsua said:

I'm really looking hard at the Generac GP2200i for my Florida house.  It's 1/3rd the cost of the Honda EU2000 and has the same function.  Small, quiet and can run the fridge, some lights and charge phones.  Good enough.

M, I was looking at the Wen version. Most reviews seem to be good.

https://smile.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-2000-Watt-Generator-Compliant/dp/B00SMNLF4M/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wen+generator&qid=1597407709&sr=8-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, djg0770 said:

That's a little bit cheaper, probably fine.  I'd rather get the Generac since at least it's assembled in the US even if the engines are made elsewhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rifleman said:

I just bought a Firman made in America tri fuel. I plan to test it on propane and run on NG if necessary. Will post a review when she arrives and fires up. 5,500 w on NG should be OK. 

I thought they were a Chinese company.  Here's what I found on their site!

Firman generators are made in China. The company’s headquarters is in Nanjing, China. The generators are reliable and have a purpose in the user’s life. 

The company is now is registered in over 92 countries worldwide. Although it’s not something to brag out about, it shows the company desires to meet the customer’s needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, djg0770 said:

M, I was looking at the Wen version. Most reviews seem to be good.

My first genny was a Wen.  I caution you that the small parts are inferior and will fail far far sooner than a Generac or Honda.  You absolutely MUST keep the tank dry or it will rust out at the fuel line hookup, the bearings and bushings are cheap and will burn out, O-rings and gaskets, fuel line will disintegrate.

After Wen went bust, a chinese company bought the name.  They are crap.

Reviews made by US consumers, or chinese bots to prop up a shitty reboot of a once respected name brand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rifleman said:

I just bought a Firman made in America tri fuel. I plan to test it on propane and run on NG if necessary. Will post a review when she arrives and fires up. 5,500 w on NG should be OK. 

Was looking at those Firmans at Costco, I went with the Champion 3400 duel fuel, and run it off my grill propane tanks. Runs very quiet, powers my essentials with clean power. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought the Honda EG 4000.  It is expensive but  is sweet.  It has no wheel kit but the holes are there so I went over to Harbor freight with my calipers and found excellent castors for 4.99 each and they bolted right on . I put 4 wheels on and now you can push it or pull it any way you like.  20.00 wheel kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

. I put 4 wheels on and now you can push it or pull it any way you like.  20.00 wheel kit.

There's a reason most wheel kits have only 2 wheels. Make sure you block the wheels while running it or it may just walk away by itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Was looking at those Firmans at Costco, I went with the Champion 3400 duel fuel, and run it off my grill propane tanks. Runs very quiet, powers my essentials with clean power. 

I have the same one. It powers everything we need in the house. Im very happy with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

There's a reason most wheel kits have only 2 wheels. Make sure you block the wheels while running it or it may just walk away by itself.

The wheels have locks on them.  Also made of rubber so nice and quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have decided to hook up to power panel after this last outage, we generally do not loose power here their are no trees, with that said since the closing of Waretown generating station we lost power for one day.  During sandy we lost power for only 8 hours and in general have never lost power before that.  I have a Coleman 6500k gen that i use for welder it is about 15 years old so i decided to upgrade for this install will also help since new welder is also larger to replace welder lost in sandy.

Went with portable green power of America 9500 kw will post parts ordered and install as i do it. Will be using dedicated breaker to switch power over in panel with lock out plate will be able to run whole household off this genset.

will have total of 60 amp service with the PB30 and genset line. 

 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Green-Power-Green-Power-12000-9500-Watt-Electric-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-w-460cc-16HP-LCT-Engine-Lithium-Battery-GN12000CEW/314036507 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-30-Amp-Power-Inlet-Box-PB30/202213702?keyword=pb30&semanticToken=d03t00r231220000_c87d2b6eabc2055023b1ef3aeab0f9b4_1597561865373+d03t00r231220000+>++cnn%3A{0%3A0}+cnp%3A{10%3A0}+cnd%3A{4%3A0}+cne%3A{8%3A0}+cns%3A{5%3A0}+cnx%3A{3%3A0}+cnq%3A{0%3A0}+cnw%3A{0%3A0}+cnv%3A{0%3A0}+st%3A{pb30}%3Ast+oos%3A{0%3A1}+dln%3A{572047}+tgr%3A{SkuExactMatch}+smf%3A{ca%2Cbr}%3Asmf+nf%3A{1}%3Anf+qu%3A{pb30}%3Aqu

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Conntek-20-ft-10-4-30-Amp-125-250-Volt-4-Prong-L14-30-Transfer-Switch-Generator-Red-Extension-Cord-20601-020/309328340

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...