CMJeepster

The Generator Thread

Honda guys stopped by today. Good visit.  Went over a bunch of items. However, when they saw my EU2000i, the Japanese fellows had more questions about how I use it, like it, and what could they do to improve it. Offered a few items on that too!

Thankx for the contact!

Storing diesel for extended periods has a set of issues that could end up being more costly then the propane.

Sitting diesel is subject to algae and bacteria growth. Even with additives.

Diesel generators are expensive which is the first problem. I would prefer having a slow turning 1800rpm diesel genset though. 

I put a tri-fuel kit on the generator for my mom. have yet to have CNG part connected though. still runs on gasoline fine though. Install isn't too hard if you're at least somewhat mechanically inclined. I also didn't have to cut up the frame like some people wind up doing. with a little prying and persuasion everything went back together.

Note the generator in question is the 7500W HF unit with electric start.

Honda has a new Fuel injected EU7000 that coming out in may. Larger fuel tank. It has a run time of around 18 hours per tank. Fuel injected so no carburetor issues, and it can also run in parallel with another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXq1JGU4s2Q

Looks like a winner....scared to see the price though..lol

Looks like a winner....scared to see the price though..lol

Honda dealers in Canada already have them for sale at $4779.  I think the US price at wise sales will be $200 or $300 more than the EU6500.  Being fuel injected a kit to convert to NG will be easy.  

When Sandy hit I pulled out my Powerland LPG (Propane) Generator 6500 Watt 16 HP. I connected for   the first night to a full BBQ  Propane bottle it ran for about 6hr until I went to sleep.

Next morning I connected to my bulk propane tanks (100 gal)  I ran the generator for 12 days and used about 60 gal of propane.

http://www.powerlandonline.com/powerland-lpg-propane-generator-6500-watt-16-hp-electric-start/

$799.    I think they still have free shipping.

When Sandy hit I pulled out my Powerland LPG (Propane) Generator 6500 Watt 16 HP. I connected for   the first night to a full BBQ  Propane bottle it ran for about 6hr until I went to sleep.

Next morning I connected to my bulk propane tanks (100 gal)  I ran the generator for 12 days and used about 60 gal of propane.

http://www.powerlandonline.com/powerland-lpg-propane-generator-6500-watt-16-hp-electric-start/

$799.    I think they still have free shipping.

How do you like the Powerland, I was thinking of getting a tri-fuel.

no commentary on Powerland's unit itself but...

for the price of their 7000W (8500W) unit you could roll your own with a Predator/HF generator of same power, a tri-fuel kit, battery and wheel kit, for a couple hundred less.

My Powerland is just LP,  but it ran like a champ for 12 days about 12hr each,  started as soon as i turned the key.  and  powerland is easy company to deal with. i had a couple qustion when the generator first arived and their tech support was great.

If you don't have NG running to your house, IMO propane is a better choice over diesel unless you have a situation where you can rotate your diesel stock. Propane will essentially last forever in a storage tank, where diesel will not. Sure you can put addative, etc to stabilize it, but you will want to rotate at least every few years. Also, diesel can encounter issues when its really cold out.

Before I switched to NG in the home, I was looking at a plan at tapping the home heating oil tank as a source of "diesel" for a gen. In the end I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it, along with the added expense of a good diesel gen, and that a 100gal propane tank and tri-fuel option made more sense. Of course once I got NG ran to the house, that became the best option.

What diesel is really good for is high duty cycle usage. If you need to power a remote camp on a regular basis for extended periods of time, the economies of diesel really shine and will kill propane or gasoline operating costs.

Tri-fuel generators are a nice option, but I still like Gasoline.  I can use Gasoline in my F-150 or my motorcycle after a storm if need be. I can  store enough gas to run my Honda EU6500 for 10 straight days.  If I switch over to my two EU2000's I could just about double that.  The night of Sandy we had fires too.  JCP&L shut off the NG to many homes in the area.  The best option is to have many options and be prepared 

I'm thinking about picking up something like this: http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Triple-Fuel-Troy-Bilt-10500-Watt-Generator.asp?page=TF10500

Can anybody recommend a good plumber and electrician for installing a natural gas hookup and inlet/transfer switch?   I'm in Flemington.

Thanks for the replies.  I'm aware of its power rating, and it would be for temporary emergency use.  I wasn't planning on running "everything" with it.  I'd really appreciate it if anyone could recommend a reputable plumber and electrician in my area, if possible.