Sign in to follow this  
Joeyd6

One Gun A Month and FTF

I overheard a interesting conversation at a local range last night.  Guy A said he has used all three permits, with no exemption from the NJSP, all within the same month, by doing FTF buys, "several" times and has never had anyone say a word.  He states the local PD does not check or compare when they get it back.   

I think if he is telling the truth, he is dancing with the devil on this.  I just wonder if the sellers will get nailed also.   Thoughts?

The White copy is mailed (usually buy the seller) to the NJ State Police Data reduction Unit (DRU)

Where they input the info into their data base.

As tony pointed out, at some point in time a trooper will be knocking on Guy A's door and he has some

explaining to do. Most likely it won't turn out well for Guy A................... 

It was funny because Guy B wanted to buy a gun off Guy A, however Guy B had already screwed up his timeline on buying and it would expire before he was eligible and he couldn't get an extension in time.

I was going to pipe in my thoughts, but I wasn't 100% as I have only been in this state a few years.  I figured as much.     

A few years ago, I had an issue with February [28 days] Got a phone call from SP Louie!! Smack on the wrist for 2 days under. was told 4th degree Misdemeaner. 

what about buying through FFLs or gun shops?

When they call in for the NICS check does it set up a red flag or something that a dealer gets notified about?

I'm more curious than anything... while it sucks to be stuck with 1 a month, I just look at it as spreading out Christmas longer. :)

When they call in for the NICS check does it set up a red flag or something that a dealer gets notified about?

I'm more curious than anything... while it sucks to be stuck with 1 a month, I just look at it as spreading out Christmas longer. :)

Regardless, the responsibility lies with the purchaser, not the FFL and not the NICS unit.

I just wonder if the sellers will get nailed also.  

I don't see how the seller in a private sale would get jammed up. Unless he actually sold the buyer multiple handguns in one month. 

Regardless, the responsibility lies with the purchaser, not the FFL and not the NICS unit.

Yup. 

at time of nics check, they will tell us he is denied because of the prior purchase if it was less that the 31 days, and they will sometimes tell us the date & place of purchase also, but  there is no way for us to check without calling nics

at time of nics check, they will tell us he is denied because of the prior purchase if it was less that the 31 days, and they will sometimes tell us the date & place of purchase also, but  there is no way for us to check without calling nics

figured there had to be some "active" method of determination.  expecting the only checkpoint to be the state when they enter in the paperwork seemed somewhat like closing the barn doors after the horse left.

note i'm NOT looking to game the system... I'm just curious as to how they actually do it.  I'll play the game, I just want to know the rules.  plus it helps to understand if i'm right on the bubble and there's confusion if I'm actually past the 30 or not.