MandM

Got bit by the 10/22 bug... 10/22 Tactical.

Yesterday the stars aligned and I finally got a 10/22.

A couple things had to happen for it to go down the way it did. I've been debating getting one for quite a while, but it was fighting a couple other guns for which one would be bought next. So... yesterday, while chatting with my buddy who was also contemplating buying one, I decided if I wanted one... it had to be the 10/22 Tactical (model 1230).

So, for laughs, I started calling around to see if anyone had one or if I needed to order or find it another way. Meltzers, no go. Couple carbines and takedowns and that's it. Woodland Park... close, but still no. (They had a 10/22 Stainless target, which my buddy ended up snapping up yesterday, but no Tactical.) RTSP... "Sure. We have one in stock." 

Hearing that, I texted my girlfriend... fully expecting her to tell me that I had to wait (wait for her to come with me, wait for christmas, wait for my birthday or wait till H-E-L-L freezes over... or something.)... and much to my amazement, she told me to go buy it! So... off to RTSP I went. (Which was nice anyway, I hadn't been since the reopening.) 

Got it home, read the manual, disassembled it, did my usual familiarization stuff... and then I went looking for a scope. Couldn't break the bank, but I needed something (no fixed sights on this model). Did some googling... SWFA has the BSA Sweet 22 3x-9x for $40! (I'm not really sure why... because Midway and Amazon have the exact same scope listed for $99, but for that price... even if it is junk... I'll put it on my pellet gun..) So that's on it's way now... should be here soon (FedEx says Wednesday.).

Initial impressions: I like the Hogue Overmould stock. I really like the look and heft of the 16" bull barrel. (My girlfriend remarked that it looked like a shotgun with the heavy barrel profile.)

It's about 7lbs... heavier than the carbine model, but it also feel much more substantial. The included bipod (Shooter's Ridge Rock Mount 6"-9") is ok. Nothing fancy, but it should work just fine. So far, the extra initial expense seems comparable to buying a standard carbine and swapping the stock and barrel and everything else so only time and rounds down range will tell.

Can't wait to get it out to the range! After shooting I'll expand on my impressions. (Quick crappy cell phone pic for now.)

post-4076-0-94252200-1384020040_thumb.jpg

That scope got good reviews on Midway (except for the customary 2-3 people who always have to complain). And thanks for the heads up on the price at SWFA! I just picked up a 10/22 a couple weeks ago and was looking into optics. At $39.95 that's a winner!

Did you order any rings to go with it? I'd like to hear what you're using

Meltzer's had one recently and Ottomanelli's posted one on facebook a couple days ago

Did you find anywhere else that had the Takedown model in stock? Ive ben waiting on a FFL transfer for over a week now for a handgun and I'm itching to buy something this weekend...

My friend picked up one of those 10/22's a few weeks ago. Put a TruGlo tactical 4x32 which is ok up to maybe 50 yards. I put the same one on my 10/22 carbine.

That rifle is awesome. We went to EFGA a couple weeks ago and set up at 50 yards.

Think you will LOVE that rifle. Enjoy!

Congrats on your new 10/22 - I'm sure it will serve you well!

Just be warned, they're addicting and can become quite the little money pit.

Have you thought about some light modifications to the internals ?

An auto bolt release and a good quality bolt buffer work wonders, and they're inexpensive.

Anyway, here's a look at my little tack driver!

Va7uUr7s.jpg

- Kevin

Kevin,

What optic do you have in that?

What distance do you usually shoot?

The optic is a BSA 6-24x with a mildot reticle.

It was on sale for $120 at the time and has many favorable reviews, so I sprung for it.

That said - I have it set to 9x power almost exclusively, it's more than overkill for the caliber.

I only ever turn it up when spotting for somebody or for a better look at my groups without needing to lug a spotting scope to the range.

If I'm shooting for groups, I shoot either 50 or 100 yards.

EWBZjAns.jpg

If I'm just out for fun, I love posting a 6" steel gong at the 200 or 300 yard line and seeing how many shots I can keep on it.

- Kevin

Thanks everyone! Took it to the range yesterday (GFH) for a test run. Only had a cheap TruGlo red dot and they had a class so... 25yds only. :( Even with the crappy 1x red dot, I was making 1 inch groups at 25 yds. I see the potential. I'll go back again on Wednesday when the new scope comes in with some time and a lot of ammo and see what happens. 

(I hope I get everyone's questions answered...)

I did get rings. Just some cheap BSA rings that "matched" the scope. (They were $5.) If anyone has any good recommendations for 1" rings for a weaver base... I'll all ears. (But if it can be helped... I'd rather not pay more for the rings than I did for the scope. Ha! So in the $25-$30 range would be ideal.) For $40... I figured that scope can't be all bad... and I have no idea why everyone else is still charging $100...

Junior... I'm curious... did anyone have the takedown model in stock for you? (When is it going to be going home to your house? :)

Contrvlr... what bipod is that? While I'm not quite ready to replace the one that came with mine... my buddy is looking for one to match his new 10/22 Target and he doesn't like the exposed springs like the harris-style bipods. What you have might be exactly what he's looking for.

Kevin... I wasn't lying when I said I got bit by the bug! :) I've been doing my homework on upgrades since before I brought it home. Haha! On Saturday, before I even got to shoot it, I was THIIIIIIIIIIIS close to dropping some coin on a KIDD 2 stage. (But thankfully I snapped out of it before I dug out the credit card.) I am definitely going to do the auto-bolt release (even though I think I got pretty good at manipulating that tiny nub) and the buffer replacement. Eventually I'll work my way into doing a trigger upgrade. (But I'll most likely buy the parts and DIY it. I like to tinker.) What's that cheek rest you have strapped on your 10/22? I'm looking for a decent one. Any other upgrades that you can think of that are inexpensive and worthwhile? 

Perfect! Thanks!

I've had it for around 19 years, not quite sure who made it and there are no markings to help remind me 

I think it's a Caldwell, similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Prone-Bipod-4-12-Inch-Black/dp/B0000C53AB/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1384180717&sr=8-8&keywords=caldwell+bipod

I did get rings. Just some cheap BSA rings that "matched" the scope. (They were $5.) If anyone has any good recommendations for 1" rings for a weaver base... I'll all ears. (But if it can be helped... I'd rather not pay more for the rings than I did for the scope. Ha! So in the $25-$30 range would be ideal.) For $40... I figured that scope can't be all bad... and I have no idea why everyone else is still charging $100...

This works well for mounting on a Takedown:

Junior... I'm curious... did anyone have the takedown model in stock for you? (When is it going to be going home to your house? :)

I wound up driving to Gander Mountain and picking it up yesterday. When i called to check availability the girl on the phone told me it was $349.99, but when i got there they had one left and it was marked down to $329! 

Actually about to head out to the range now to test it out. 

I did the "Eastern PA Gun Shop Tour" last week as I had to travel up and down it on business last week.  With the exception of TargetMaster and Classic Pistol, every well-known shop had a Take Down or 5 (in one case who also had 8 October 2013-production Springfield XD-s pistols on the counter) in-stock, including the Davison's Special Edition, at very normal pricing!  

What ammo do you guys run in your 10/22? Just got back from GFH and Tried 50 Rounds each of CCI AR Tactical, Federal Auto Match, and Federal Gold Medal Target. Had numerous FTE and FTF with the Federal Gold Medal, but the bulk ammo was fine..

I am definitely going to do the auto-bolt release (even though I think I got pretty good at manipulating that tiny nub) and the buffer replacement. Eventually I'll work my way into doing a trigger upgrade. (But I'll most likely buy the parts and DIY it. I like to tinker.) What's that cheek rest you have strapped on your 10/22? I'm looking for a decent one. Any other upgrades that you can think of that are inexpensive and worthwhile? 

I couldn't stand trying to work the stock bolt release with that nub, but my large fingers aren't a helping factor either . .

If you're going to do trigger work and you're the tinkering type, look up AGI's 10/22 trigger job video!

You can significantly improve the factory trigger with some sharpening stones, and a dremel w/ a cotton wheel polishing compound.

The cheek rest on my rifle, you're probably going to laugh; It's actually Armaflex, a type of Neoprene pipe wrapping insulation, with several pieces of layered foam rubber stuffed beneath it.

I chose to build my own with that material so I could achieve *absolutely perfect* height for proper eye relief with my scope.

I'm aware of plenty of DIY improvements one can make with a factory 10/22 - and all of them can be found in detail on the RimfireCentral.com forums - I highly reccomend you join! Great community and probably the GO-TO knowledgebase for modifying and building 10/22 type rifles, not to mention big names in the industry, Tony KIDD among them, are active participants there who pay attention to user feedback.

What ammo do you guys run in your 10/22? Just got back from GFH and Tried 50 Rounds each of CCI AR Tactical, Federal Auto Match, and Federal Gold Medal Target. Had numerous FTE and FTF with the Federal Gold Medal, but the bulk ammo was fine..

I use different types for different things

If I'm shooting for accuracy or if I ever get to go do anything requiring it (hunting or pest control), I use CCI Standard as that's an inexpensive round that shoots very well in my barrel.

Your issue with the Federal Gold is most likely that it's a lower velocity load than any of the other two rounds you used, and doesn't have enough backpressure to cycle your gun.

The reality is that every 10/22 is unique in what it likes to eat, and what does and doesn't shoot well - it's up to the user to try a little bit of everything to see what works best.

- Kevin

Thanks Kevin! (Joined up this morning! Thanks for the tip!)

When I took it out Sunday... I shot some old Winchester Wildcat that I had sitting around for 10 or so years, some Federal Champion and some Blazer Standard. No real issues to speak of, but I only shot 1 box of each. Not nearly a good enough sampling of data.

I have used Federal Champion Value Pack ammo almost exclusively in my 10/22, and I honestly cannot recall ever having an issue in the more than two years that I've owned it.  OTOH, I have a jam every mag or two with my 15-22 with the same ammo, and I have no idea why.

BSA Sweet 22 scope arrived.

Mounted up okay, but I will say I had a heck of a time getting the reticle to stay level when snugging down the top halves of the rings. It seemed to always cant to the side I was tightening down so I was going 1 turn at a time on each screw, alternating like when you mount a tire.

A lot of fiddling around and some cursing and now it seems pretty square. 

Any tips or tricks for the future? Should I invest in a scope mounting/leveling kit?

I'll most likely be at the range either tomorrow or Friday to sight it in...

Quick pick with the Sweet 22 mounted...

post-4076-0-23867400-1384382497_thumb.jpg