CAPTAIN

1863 Springfield, what to look for?

Looking for a true 1863 Springfield that has seen Civil War duty. I'm wondering what to look for as far as condition and problem areas? I'm sure there are reproductions out there that have been made to look like originals, so what should I be looking for to spot a fake?

Where are the best places to find one? Any trusted websites specialize in these? I'll be on the lookout at shows and private sales from word of mouth, but was looking for some tips from others.

Go to the next gunshow at amvets in Jackson, Pat @ the door collects those. Also Leroy Stout=FFL in Trenton has a lot of them and lets go once in awhile. Getting near retirement. Has a Shitload of Spencers!!!

Go to the next gunshow at amvets in Jackson, Pat @ the door collects those. Also Leroy Stout=FFL in Trenton has a lot of them and lets go once in awhile. Getting near retirement. Has a Shitload of Spencers!!!

That guy is still around?  I bought a Beretta from him a few years ago.  His place looked like Whistler's basement from Blade.  

Hell of a guy.  It's like walking into history.