Mark@3R1

Sling shots illegal - unless you are Harbor Freight

I'm a little confused and irritated at the moment. I was just at Harbor Freight today, and I noticed that they were selling slingshots - lots of them. When I got home, I opened up my trusty Fourth Edition of New Jersey Gun Laws by Evan Nappen. I found that the statues clearly state that the sale of slingshots is prohibited, and the possession of a sling shot is likely to be illegal. The statue for selling is 2C-39:9d, and the statutes for possessing are 2C-39:-5d and 2C-39:3e.

I called the manager at Harbor Freight and let her know about the statutes. She advised me that Harbor Freight had received an exception from the state of New Jersey and was being permitted to sell the sling shots.

So, I want to know why the state is creating exemptions for illegal activities for this particular retailer. As an FFL myself, *I* cannot sell slingshots in New Jersey. I wonder if Harbor Freight is telling it's customers that when they walk out the door with their sling shots that they are now in possession of a 'per se' weapon as defined by NJ Statutes, and are subject to prosecution for a fourth degree crime - and could spend up to 18 months in jail and pay a $10,000 fine.

I personally think that sales and possession of sling shots should be legal. I also think that I should be able to sell or possess a magazine that holds 16, or for that matter, 100 rounds of ammunition.

Where does the law say that they are illegal?  Are you committing a crime with them?  Shooting peoples windows out?  As far as I know, if you purchase and possess them, and have them for a lawful activity, they are legal. (just like switchblades)

I posted about this particular subject several months ago and I too contacted the manager of HF after being shut down by a Mod on NJGF for displaying an illegal item.. Months later I found not only slingshots but replacement slings and shot at Walmart also so apparently some adjustment has being made in the laws in NJ.

I've since bought one ,along with extra shot to plink when in the forest or country.

Well, if you choose to live dangerously and buy a black assault slingshot with a 16-round magazine, I would pay for it with cash.

Where does the law say that they are illegal?  Are you committing a crime with them?  Shooting peoples windows out?  As far as I know, if you purchase and possess them, and have them for a lawful activity, they are legal. (just like switchblades)

2C:39-9d states they are illegal to sell - calls them out by name.

2C:39-5d and 3e opens the door for them to be a 'per se' weapon - it puts the burden on the possessor to prove they have it for a lawful intent as opposed to the burden being on the state to prove they have it for an unlawful intent.

You know as well as I do that in NJ it's arrest first and let the judge sort it out. It is also well known that LE in NJ does not know every law and statute, they can't possibly. I think retailers that are selling an item that is illegal to sell by statute, but they have received special dispensation, should disclose to their customers that they have a high chance of being arrested if the item is found in their possession by law enforcement.

I wouldn't worry about it, If the slingshots work as good as their tools they will break the 1st day

There would still be trouble for having a broken one.

What if you just write "Made in Taiwan" on it and say it was a pre-ban slingshot if stopped. And don't drill any holes in your shot, as that could be misconstrued for hollow point.

Even toy slingshots are illegal, and don't let your kids draw one on paper.

As frivolous and stupid as even having a discussion on slingshots being illegal is, I'm a little more disturbed that some unknown person in NJ can give out exemptions to a law like that. Far as I know the law once passed is the law. The Governor can pardon someone from breaking the law after the fact but an exemption to the law would need to pass the state senate since far as I know there's nothing in the law saying some other body in NJ can. Either repeal the law (which should never have been made IMHO) or apply it (dumb as it is), but arbitrary exemptions to the laws just confuse people.

OK off the soapbox now :) still think the whole slingshot thing is one of the dumbest laws ever and NJ is known for dumb laws...

-Jim