Mark@3R1

Sling shots illegal - unless you are Harbor Freight

I just saw there is a bill being introduced that would make slingshots legal, i don't know whether to cheer, laugh or cry.  I can take pride in the fact that the assemblyman who introduced it is from my district, but then again, is this the most important thing we need to focus our attention on right now?

Here is the link-

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/29054423/bill-would-make-slingshots-legal-in-new-jersey

And here is a summary-

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Slingshots could soon be legal in New Jersey.

Republican Assemblyman Ronald Dancer has introduced a bill that would make having or making slingshots legal.

Under current law, carrying a slingshot can be a fourth-degree crime punishable by up to 18 months in prison, a fine of $10,000 or both unless the person has an "explainable, lawful purpose."

Dancer says Boy Scouts, who sometimes use slingshots, had to prove they were not criminals under the current law.

The bill has been referred to the Law and Public Safety Committee.

NJ.com (http://bit.ly/1REUptT ) first reported Wednesday on the bill's introduction.

Just imagine being in a NJ state  pen and another inmate says      "what ya in for?"                You get a real mean look on your face and say sling shot

We could start a movement, kind of like Alice's Restaurant!

OK, here is the amended law from December 7 1963, while it mentions slung shot. There is absolutely no mention of slingshot. I typed it from the site below. It is public information from state government.

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?page=0878&collect=njleg&file=187&zoom=90

----------

Chapter 160

An Act concerning crimes and amending section 2A:151--5 of New Jersey Statutes.

Be It ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey

Section amended

1. Section 2A:151--5 of the New Jersey Statutes is amended as follows:

2A:151--5 . Any person who commits or attempts to commit an assault, robbery,larceny,burglary, or breaking and entering, when armed with or having in his possession any machine gun, automatic rifle, revolver, pistol or other firearm or a gun, device or instrument from which may be fired or ejected any gas, vapor, or other noxious thing by means of a missile, pellet, bullet or otherwise, or other instrument of any kind known as a blackjack, slung shot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, bludgeon, metal knuckles, dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, bomb or other high explosive, or any any object or device, whether toy or imitation, having an appearance similar to or capable of being mistaken for any of the foregoing, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for the crime, be punished on the first conviction by imprisonment for not more than 5 years; upon a second conviction for not more than 10 years; upon a third conviction by imprisonment for not more than 15 years: and upon a fourth or subsequent conviction, by imprisonment for not more than 20 years or for life, in the discretion of the court. No such additional punishment shall be imposed unless the indictment shall have averred that the person was armed or has in his possession any such instrument and the conviction was had thereon.

2. This act shall take effect immediately. Approved December 7 1963

---

2C:39-3-e Prohibited Weapons and DevicesCertain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

I think your tree guy is within the law.  I like to have several on hand to shoot lines over my roof.

OK, here is the amended law from December 7 1963, while it mentions slung shot. There is absolutely no mention of slingshot. I typed it from the site below. It is public information from state government.

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?page=0878&collect=njleg&file=187&zoom=90

----------

Chapter 160

Section amended

2A:151--5 . Any person who commits or attempts to commit an assault, robbery,larceny,burglary, or breaking and entering, when armed with or having in his possession any machine gun, automatic rifle, revolver, pistol or other firearm or a gun, device or instrument from which may be fired or ejected any gas, vapor, or other noxious thing by means of a missile, pellet, bullet or otherwise, or other instrument of any kind known as a blackjack, slung shot, billy, sandclub, sandbag, bludgeon, metal knuckles, dagger, dirk, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, bomb or other high explosive, or any any object or device, whether toy or imitation, having an appearance similar to or capable of being mistaken for any of the foregoing, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for the crime, be punished on the first conviction by imprisonment for not more than 5 years; upon a second conviction for not more than 10 years; upon a third conviction by imprisonment for not more than 15 years: and upon a fourth or subsequent conviction, by imprisonment for not more than 20 years or for life, in the discretion of the court. No such additional punishment shall be imposed unless the indictment shall have averred that the person was armed or has in his possession any such instrument and the conviction was had thereon.

---

Was reading about this earlier, apparently the error was made in 1978 when someone was transcribing the 1963 law.

My tree guy uses one every day to get ropes over limbs.  Guess he's headed for the pokey?

I knew a guy who carried a gun for years during the 90s. Never sentenced to 10 years in prison or even a day.

You can also buy flashhiders and 30 round mags in PA and Delaware.

I knew a guy who carried a gun for years during the 90s. Never sentenced to 10 years in prison or even a day.

You can also buy flashhiders and 30 round mags in PA and Delaware.

You can also buy silencers and full automatics in PA, they are in Free America, not the Republic of Jersey!  But that is a discussion for another topic.

----------

Chapter 160

Section amended

---

Was reading about this earlier, apparently the error was made in 1978 when someone was transcribing the 1963 law.

Can the law get voided out because it was transcribed in error?

Can the law get voided out because it was transcribed in error?

That I don't know, the article I read didn't mention anything about the possibility of voiding it. Apparently the sponsor of this bill to repeal the law heard it was done in error and confirmed that it was indeed true. The article also mentioned that sling shots are also illegal in Rhode Island, for the most part in Massachusetts and in New york if they have arm braces.

It's a sad / sorry situation when we criminalize the BSA by default.

Although they just modified their watergun policy:  http://mashable.com/2015/05/20/boy-scouts-water-guns/?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner