Bully

Any Cool 223/556 Semi-Auto Rifles?

I'm not an AR fan. However, I do see the benefit of having one and they are fun to shoot. I'm just wondering if anyone makes a cool, semi auto rifle that I'm missing? I know about the Ruger Mini-14 and the God-awful Kel-Tec SU-thingy. What else is out there? I'm probably on a quest for something that doesn't exist but I would love something a bit more elegant that any of those offerings. Nice wood, synthetic or laminate stock, a smaller receiver, no rails/foregrips/lights or lasers. Just a nice looking gun to mount a scope on and have some fun.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

BTW, the sky is DEFINITELY NOT the limit?

C

I second the 223 Saiga.

I have one and i also started not liking AR's (that quickly changed :)).

You get AK reliability with a 223/5.56 caliber. It can fire both. Also you ca shoot steel case Russkie ammo from it.

Mags are proprietory though and there s 15 rounders available at about 24-27$ each.

I have not converted it but will eventually. That way it can accept standard AK mags.

Gun will be a range toy.

Saiga's are even uglier than AR's. My opinion, of course.

I guess if I was to characterize what I'm looking for, it'd be a 10/22 chambered in .223/5.56. I also shot a friend's Winchester or Remington .308 semi. Gorgeous gun. Checkered walnut stock, iron sights and scope mounts. Accurate enough. But it's a .308.

My love affair with the caliber comes from the fact that reloading is easy and inexpensive. I don't currently reload any rifle calibers, but if I'm gonna, it'll be the .223. Cheap and easy to find... again. The low recoil is a definite plus as well as there won't be a buffer tube to mitigate it.

JT, I'd prefer a semi only because I would like the maneuverability and fast follow up of the semi.

C

Gun will be a range toy.

Saiga's are even uglier than AR's. My opinion, of course.

I guess if I was to characterize what I'm looking for, it'd be a 10/22 chambered in .223/5.56. I also shot a friend's Winchester or Remington .308 semi. Gorgeous gun. Checkered walnut stock, iron sights and scope mounts. Accurate enough. But it's a .308.

My love affair with the caliber comes from the fact that reloading is easy and inexpensive. I don't currently reload any rifle calibers, but if I'm gonna, it'll be the .223. Cheap and easy to find... again. The low recoil is a definite plus as well as there won't be a buffer tube to mitigate it.

JT, I'd prefer a semi only because I would like the maneuverability and fast follow up of the semi.

C

That's pretty much a Ruger Mini.  I get the economy of the round but if you will be reloading, you can step up to a low to moderate recoil caliber more commonly used in the type of rifle you are looking for without spending a fortune on components.  I get where you are going with the classic styling with wood and all but you are not likely to find that in 5.56/223 chambered semi-auto.  You should be able to find nice bolt action with the look you want.  btw, if it's a range toy, why a fast follow up shot?  Will you be using animated targets?

You know, when I put the title up, I thought it could be a touch "offensive" to some.

I should have put "Traditional". Sorry for the confusion.

All the guns listed are cool. Hell, most guns are cool. I just happen to not be a fan of "Tacti-Cool". Doesn't do it for me. I do however value function as well as aesthetics and completely understand the value of AR's, AK's and their ilk. I just don't particularly want to own one. I like blue steel and wood grain. It's just more appealing to me. If I could design a gun, it would be something like the Winchester I posted above with a laminated wood stock, detachable 5 round flush fit magazine, iron sights and a rail for a scope. Medium contour barrel, 20". Semi. In .223/5.56.

Oh well.

C

Well, if your range toy is also a "what if" rifle, and you want something really cool, with a wood stock, that wont be very expensive to reload....  How about a Mini-30.  It's the closest you will get to a Garand designed M1without actually paying the price of a garand.  Along the same lines, the Semi-auto M14 and especially the M21 (one of my favorites) are very sweet.  There are only two semi-auto rifles I actually want.  One is a pre 1945 service Garand, the other is the M-21.  They ain't cheap, but reloading will be affordable.

Why net get a Ruger if you need semi auto? If not get a good bolt and upgrade the stock to a chassis. If you don't like tactical look at the AICS system. That will make a cool and accurate rifle.

I bought an XLR chassis for my .308 bolt gun and it's like a work of art. However it may be a bit too tactical looking based on your comments.

In semi auto I would definitely get a cool wooden stock mini 14, second would be polymer/ stainless one.

They're really cool and not tactical looking.

Just like this, but in .223/5.56:

attachicon.gifwinchester308.jpg

You can find a used Winchester in .243, but not .223.

I liked one suggestion: the Browning BLR in .223. A take-down version would be different. Lever's or pump's (Rem. 7615) can be worked pretty fast in capable hands.

http://www.rockwellarms.com/store/products/Browning?223-Rem=True&BLR=True