greatgunstatenj

PSEG Cool Customer

I got an offer from PSEG to enter their "Cool Customer" program. The benefits are listed as getting a new digital touchscreen programmable thermostat installed and a $50 credit to my bill. The fine print says, "During times of peak energy demand, program participants may have their central air conditioner compressors cycled on and off for 15 minutes... only initiated when necessary... In 2012, one of the hottest summers on record, no cycling occurred."

My question is how the heck do they control my compressor? They aren't saying they will cycle my power on and off. They are referring specifically to my AC unit which is controlled by the thermostat. Does that mean the thermostat can be controlled remotely? I know someone who entered this program and I saw the hook up, I didn't see any type of special cabling or WIFI or WWAN icons on the device. Does anyone know how these things function? 

Don't do it.  It puts undue stress on your AC compressor(short cycling).  My friend also had one and his AC compressor died within 3 weeks of it being installed(on an AC unit that was only 3 years old) and it caused his heater to run the same way during the winter.  He threw it in the trash and installed a 3M-50 thermostat. 

SE&G'S COOL CUSTOMER PROGRAM

How does it work?

An experienced PSE&G technician or representative will install a new programmable thermostat in your home, or a cycling switch on your central air conditioning compressor. If summer energy demand in our service area is extremely high, a signal is sent to the thermostat or switch to cycle your central air conditioner on and off at 15 minute intervals. This helps to minimize the impact of high energy demand on the electric system, which maintains the reliability of the electric system and reduces the likelihood of blackouts due to high energy usage.

Note: during cycling, the indoor fan continues to circulate air throughout the home.

The unit (Honeywell UtilityPRO) has a built in (Zigbee) communications module. Here is a link:

http://www.metering.com/honeywell-adds-zigbee-module-to-utilitypro-thermostat/

Possibly using the electrical wires?.... Or maybe the thermostat has some crazy wireless transmitter/receiver/microprocessor that is using the low voltage in the stat as a power source?..... Any way you slice it .... Not good ...no way would I do it lol

I would guess they can control the cycling via the new digital thermostat they are offering.

Not being a electrician but I believe there is more power used on start up than running for

a set period of time or something like that. 

I would guess the cycling helps them prevent brown outs, but may not save you that much money.

Not to mention the inconvenience  - jmo

I've had it installed for 3 years or so. Rarely has the cycling bothered me. I can only remember one day when I was home and it got warm in the house. 20 minutes later it was cooling off. But it takes longer to drop the temp than just maintaining it. Might notice it more if I was home all the time.

I did not notice any short cycling. It was not a constant on/off cycling. It kicked off for 15-20minutes then came back on till the house cooled down. I don't know if it was cycling more often when I was at work or not.

A comparable digital thermostat will probably run you I the $80-100 range if you were to buy one.

Years ago they use to come out and install a some chunky device right on the compressor itself. My guess is that new thermostat is radio controlled. I get the same offer month after month and throw it away....  About 6 or 7 years back pse&g had a pilot program called “My Power” where they swapped out the thermostat, meter and hardwired a control in the furnace itself. The “My Power” meter would do a data dump via modem (dial up) after 12am. We were billed on our usage based on time of day and peak hours usage. I guess the thermostat they are now offering is the successor to the pilot program we were in. I got a new system about 5 years back so I don’t want any of their controls on my system even if it is only the thermostat.

Just al ittle FYI

The box they put on your AC unit has a radio receiver in it.  It is controlled by a signal that comes from streetilights.  If you have ever seen a streetlight with a little box hanging under it with an antenna you have seen one.  What it does is nothing at all until the voltage starts to sag a little.  In some areas there is a slightly more intelligent network controlling things.  When this happens it starts the cycling.  The cycling it does is long enough apart to not do any harm to your AC.  In areas with crappy voltage you will see it more. 

Ken

I had them put it on this spring , I ripped it off when my house was 80 . Its on my workbench, and Im going to rewire it so it sends a single back to them to erase my bill :)

Figure out how to wire one up so that it thinks its connected to a HVAC unit, but really isn't :lol: