Shane45

The Ducati 1098 took a trip and didnt come back

Maybe its a sign Im getting old. But at the end of this riding season, I really wasnt digging riding the 1098. Even for around town the pressure on the wrists and shoulders was getting to be a bit much. That and I was racing with a Pangali and as much as I have derided electronic aids, I coud easily see they were keeping his bike stable as hell while I was having to work at keeping the front down and the rear tire behind me! It became clear that since I dont ride as much as I used to, having the electronics might not be a bad idea. Time to admit I need reading glasses I guess. So she got loaded up, along with my brothers 1098 that needed service, and off we went to an excellent Aprilia dealer in PA. Came home with a 2014 Aprilia Tuono. The bike is incredible. In the looks department, well, its kind of plain. But this is truly a riders bike. Once you ride it and see the grin that doesnt leave your face, it becomes clear. So I guess I traded the crazy hot chick in for a pretty chick with a Phd in rocket science :D

1098andpani.jpg

ducksloaded.jpg

2014tuono.jpg

Thanks guys. Ill tell ya, it was tough to let the Duck go. And it was really tough to not buy a leftover RSV4 Factory they had sitting there!!! But I think the Tuono will be the ticket. I took the test ride in weather I wouldnt even think of taking the Duck out in because it would be a slip sliding fest. But the electronics on the T made it behave wonderfully, even if the traction control activity light hardly shut off :D The bike really seems to be a a two wheeled amusement park.

Thanks guys. Ill tell ya, it was tough to let the Duck go. And it was really tough to not buy a leftover RSV4 Factory they had sitting there!!! But I think the Tuono will be the ticket. I took the test ride in weather I wouldnt even think of taking the Duck out in because it would be a slip sliding fest. But the electronics on the T made it behave wonderfully, even if the traction control activity light hardly shut off :D The bike really seems to be a a two wheeled amusement park.

The RSV4F's are so sick. My buddy bought a new leftover 3 days before we left to ride down to the Dragon in Tennessee. In 12 days we rode almost 5k miles there and back. I was with him when he brought it back to the dealer the day after we came home and the look on the customer service rep's face when he saw the mileage on the bike in under 2 weeks was so priceless!

Wait you want me to flirt with the Brit girls over my Italian ladies? :D The Tuono was the closest thing I could find to my Ducati in terms of handling and power, but would get me off my wrists. It is very hard to go backwards on power for me and the triple is down about 40 to the Tuono. And when you consider that frame and engine have two world superbike championships under its belt, well it just didnt seem anything out there really compared or filled that highly focused niche of a superbike with a street focus that I was looking for. I know Im a bit old for this but there is just something about bikes that will power wheelie at well over 100 :D

Snuck a quickie in on sunday. At first when I hopped on it it felt so odd. Im so used to the committed racer tuck of the Ducati. Started to have an Uh Oh moment because it felt so odd with the bars up so high. But after about 10 minutes I started to settle in. After a half hour I was amazed at having no pain in my wrists :). This bike is a beast! I would say that the torque actually matches the V-Twin 1098! But the interesting thing about this bike is it seems sooooo easy to ride it(as easy as a 170hp bike can be :D). And dialing back the intensity of the 1098 makes it a ton more fun to ride.