Newtonian

Amazon Prime

I joined Amazon Prime a couple of months ago. It costs $79 per year.

The benefits include free shipping on most items, access to Amazon's video collection, and free Kindle book loans.

I recently realized that Amazon Prime is a great way to shop for almost anything. Between the free shipping, no tax, the freebies, NOT HAVING TO SCHLEPP TO THE STORE, and Amazon's great prices, you can make back your $79 in a very short while. You don't need to buy a ton of stuff, like you do at most of the sporting goods sites, to make the shipping worthwhile because there is no shipping.

The other day I ordered a set of stainless steel funnels for about $10. My local BB&B only sells plastic ones, and I sometimes need to get hot oil from a pan into a jar.

The funnels were too small -- I neglected to look at the diameters. 100% my fault. I considered just keeping them, between the return postage and a trip to the post office. But I inquired nonetheless about returning the micro-funnels. THEY GAVE ME A REFUND AND TOLD ME TO KEEP THE FUNNELS!! Pretty awesome. 

Now, if my cat ever needs to funnel a few ounces of squirrel blood, she has the funnels to do it with.

But that's not all.

I ordered a spanking new, 6" stainless steel funnel and a bunch of gun-related stuff on Saturday, Nov. 9. One of the items was a gun cleaning kit that the guy with the grey ponytail beard on Youtube recently reviewed. He said the price was, I think, $90. Amazon's price was $42 and change.

BUT MOST AMAZINGLY: The package was delivered the next day, SUNDAY, by the US Postal Service, which has recently signed up for Sunday deliveries with Amazon.

You can use Amazon prime to order almost anything -- clothing, food, electronics, targets and all sorts of gun-related stuff. No tax, no having to spend 90 minutes getting to the store through NJ traffic, great prices, and (at least with me) free next-day shipping.

How can you go wrong?

You do get charged for tax now.

Yes, for anything that "Ships from and [is] sold by Amazon.com LLC."  That happened because Amazon.com built two huge warehouses in New Jersey and, therefore, acquired NJ "tax nexus." However, if you look carefully, you might be able to find the same item being sold by a partner of Amazon's that doesn't have tax nexus (i.e. "Sold by 'shippingpartner.com' and fulfilled by Amazon.com"  or "ships by shippingpartner.com"). In those cases, tax won't be collected, but you'd still owe it as "use tax" on your NJ 1040. 

I have Amazon Prime also. I use it for the "streaming video" primarily (I have a Roku) and I like the free "2-day" delivery, like you say.

Love my Amazon Prime

btw Amazon joined up with USPS to start Sunday deliveries in Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas then more cities later in the year http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/business/postal-service-and-amazon-strike-deal.html?_r=0

You're right. Just checked. I paid NJ sales tax. But I did not pay "JUST Nineteen ninety-nine S&H!!"

Another negative: The kit that Gunblast.com touted was the "law enforcement" version. Mine retailed for $50, got it for $42.

Looks like it has everything in it that Mr. Quinn was talking about except for the squeegies that eliminate patches. Don't really see how that could be, anyway.

The benefits include free shipping on most items, access to Amazon's video collection, and free Kindle book loans.

It's free 2 day shipping.  I have received stuff next day.  I haven't yet had something go longer than 2 working days.

BTW, not sure if that's still the case, but a couple of years ago one could get Amazon Prime almost for free for the first year with what they called "Amazon Mom" program.

It gave 90 days of Prime for free and possibility to extend it for 9 more months by buying "Amazon Mom qualified items" (and it included lots of household items like washing detergent, some types of shampoo, toys etc).

I looked up my Amazon history recently - 2012 - placed 79 orders.

2013 - placed 34 orders from which 31 were placed before Jul 1st.

I basically stopped using amazon when they started to charge tax and so far was always able to find another option.

Don't Forget Amazon Prime MOVIES!!!   it's just like netflix included!  and you can play movies through your Xbox or PS3 as well.. lots of free "Prime" movies as well

I use the Roku 3.  Amazon "Prime" Instant Videos are free, but many other titles are available for puchase or rent (via streaming).

Don't Forget Amazon Prime MOVIES!!! it's just like netflix included! and you can play movies through your Xbox or PS3 as well.. lots of free "Prime" movies as well

Because Apple sells movies, you can't watch Amazon movies on your ipad mirrored to the TV with an "Apple TV"

You get sound only, no picture.

I can't help but laugh at those just discovering prime...I've been enjoying its wonders for a very long time. However, I spend probably upwards of $2k/yr on Amazon and picked up on that giant message that nagged you every time you went to the site, suggesting you join Prime.

Thinking about getting a kindle hdx for the wife for Christmas. Only downside it doesn't have many android APS available.

Would definitely join Amazon prime if I got one. I would first sign up for the 30 day free trial and then pay for the year. Get 13 months for $80.