Grapeshot

Shotgun Advice

So it looks like I will soon be in the possession of a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 28” barrel. I would like to use this for hunting this year, both Turkey and Deer.

My questions are about barrel length. Most people who  use slugs for deer are using guns with much shorter barrels. Any disadvantage to using the 28” barrel with slugs? Or should I use buckshot? Most of my shots will probably be 40 yards or less.

Is this a good shotgun for turkey?

Thanks

Fill us in please on how much shotgun experience you have so we can give better answers.

Also indicate whether or not you want to invest in any interchangeable barrels.

Thanks,

Dave

This will be the first shotgun I have owned, although I have borrowed a few for trap shooting (semi auto) and deer hunting (slug gun). I also have a fair amount of experience with black powder smoothies loaded with bird shot for clays, but that's about it.

Not sure about interchangeable barrels, although I know you can get a slug barrel for the 500. Would like to avoid the expense if possible.

If your 28" barrel has interchangeable chokes that screw into the muzzle, you can use it well for both game you mentioned.  Get a Turkey Choke and a Modified Choke for regular 1-oz. shotgun slugs and see where she "prints" on paper.  It's generally accepted that most full chokes aren't suitable for 1-oz. slugs, since the end of the barrel may be "wrung" from using one.  If your shotgun is an older model and has only one choke, make sure you know which one it is, so you can shoot buckshot (in a full choke) if need be.  At less than 40 yards, full choke is "O-K" on Turkeys, but not great, so experiment with a heavier-loaded round with more pellets for a denser pattern.  Shooting a modified choke on Turkeys is somewhat problematic, unless you're up-close, like you'd be with a black powder muzzle loading shotgun (I have the Pedersoli 10 ga. and shoot birds, clays and even .715 round balls).

Parker will also have some good advice to add to this thread.

Good luck with the new gun!

Dave

Just remember -- If you have a slug in your possession while hunting your gun MUST have sights --  This means both a front and a rear sight 

You can have a scope or red dot in place of open sights but you must have some sort of sighting system  --  not just a bead on the end of the barrel

Enjoy your new gun

For deer; Buckshot is good, rifled slugs are better, a rifled barrel and sabot slugs are best.  If you decide to go smoothbore and rifled slugs, IC is the optimal choke.  If you go the way of the slug, a good low power fixed magnification scope will serve you well.