SgtToadette

Taking Civil Service Test in a Week: Advice?

Anybody here take the Civil Service test recently? I'm scheduled to take it in about a week and was looking for some tips. From what I understand, the test is largely critical reading, logic, and basic intelligence questions. I'll be heading to my local library to try and find some study materials.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Try and get into a prep course if you can. I took the Chief's test and the prep course helped me score a 99%. It is mostly common sense but the "Agree - disagree" type questions can be tricky without a little coaching into the reason they word the questions as they do.

I would say good luck, but I hope hard work has more to do with it than luck does! ;)

Thanks for all the input thus far.

Of the sample questions I've seen, a lot seem to be common sense. I just picked up a book with some previous tests and suggestions. Should be interesting to go over. A lot of the prep courses carry a steep price, but it's all an investment anyway.

Skip the test, marry someone who works in Government and you're in...

Queen for life.  Articles of nobility in the modern age.  Gaurenteed job for life paying more than than I could ever earn as an Engineer that can be fired tomorrow, with free healthcare and a free pension until the day you die.  It exceeds the compensation of the median lawyer and medical doctor, neither of which have guaranteed jobs for life nor lifelong pensions and free ride medical care.

Anybody who doesn't join up if they can is not making the fiscally responsible decision.  It's welfare/workfare with titles of nobility provided.

Don't be one of the guys who shows up in a suit and tie and shaved head because I'll be the guy who laughs at you, lol seriously prep courses help you look at the question as a cop would, I was lucky enough to get hired with out it, I'm taking the test one last time if I get nothing I'll stay where I'm at.

You take the last one? From what I remember it was identical. I feel though I wasted my money. Between layoffs, affirmative action, disabled vets amd vetrans status ahead of me Odds are ill never be picked up since most towns aren't hiring. Add in chris christies attack on law enforcement and no one getting contracts or raises, tripled (sometimes more) health benefits, increased pension dues I would make more in the private sector. The benefits are a big reason people take the job and they are slowly going away.

You take the last one? From what I remember it was identical. I feel though I wasted my money. Between layoffs, affirmative action, disabled vets amd vetrans status ahead of me Odds are ill never be picked up since most towns aren't hiring. Add in chris christies attack on law enforcement and no one getting contracts or raises, tripled (sometimes more) health benefits, increased pension dues I would make more in the private sector. The benefits are a big reason people take the job and they are slowly going away.

DESP and MDSP have great benefits in case any one is looking.

thats what he does best. Complain

I have been here for years and I have never complained about a single thing.

I am very blessed. Everything bad that every happened to me was my responsibility, and everything I have ever achieved I owe to no Man walking the Earth.

Point out one example of me complaining.

Try and get into a prep course if you can. I took the Chief's test and the prep course helped me score a 99%. It is mostly common sense but the "Agree - disagree" type questions can be tricky without a little coaching into the reason they word the questions as they do.

I would say good luck, but I hope hard work has more to do with it than luck does! ;)

+1   If you don't, the guy/gal next to you will AND they will likely score higher.  If you get into the career you want the investment will be peanuts compared to what you get.   BE SMART and take some type of prep course.

Queen for life. Articles of nobility in the modern age. Gaurenteed job for life paying more than than I could ever earn as an Engineer that can be fired tomorrow, with free healthcare and a free pension until the day you die. It exceeds the compensation of the median lawyer and medical doctor, neither of which have guaranteed jobs for life nor lifelong pensions and free ride medical care.

Anybody who doesn't join up if they can is not making the fiscally responsible decision. It's welfare/workfare with titles of nobility provided.

Just like they chose their profession...you chose yours. Dont cry about what they get and you dont.

I don't cry that a football player makes ten million dollars a year.

OK, I just realized what is going on here, I am a little slow. Sorry.

My profession? What they get and what I don't?

I haven't had a boss for nearly 20 years. I feed myself. You feed off me. You think I am jealous? That's what this is about?

It is true that any idiot with a pulse and no education whatsoever will make more money in base salary in a government job or as a cop than the average Engineer or lawyer.

It is also true that I make more money than every single government employee that has posted in this thread. So, take your envy bulllshit and stuff it.

You are seriously telling me that you think it is a good thing that government jobs, which produce nothing, are ever expanding and pay more than any private sector job and have life-long entitlements attached as well? Do you know where that road leads? Great news! We are almost there, so don't trouble your mind with it.

Are you going to vote for representatives that will put the pay of government employees back in balance with the private sector? And get rid of lifelong entitlements that you haven't paid for? Can I count on your vote?

You bet your ass I can't count on your vote.

But I can count on this. If anybody touches what you think you are entitled to, you will complain. Oh, the horror! I don't complain. Nobody has ever given me anything, and I am not entitled to anything.

I haven't had a boss for nearly 20 years. I feed myself. You feed off me. You think I am jealous? That's what this is about?

It is true that any idiot with a pulse and no education whatsoever will make more money in base salary in a government job or as a cop than the average Engineer or lawyer.

It is also true that I make more money than every single government employee that has posted in this thread. So, take your envy bulllshit and stuff it.

You are seriously telling me that you think it is a good thing that government jobs, which produce nothing, are ever expanding and pay more than any private sector job and have life-long entitlements attached as well? Do you know where that road leads? Great news! We are almost there, so don't trouble your mind with it.

Are you going to vote for representatives that will put the pay of government employees back in balance with the private sector? And get rid of lifelong entitlements that you haven't paid for? Can I count on your vote?

But I can count on this. If anybody touches what you think you are entitled to, you will complain. Oh, the horror! I don't complain. Nobody has ever given me anything, and I am not entitled to anything.

I liked your camping post better mipafox   That joke was a classic but like you said you had to be there then.

I know, I know, I am on your ignore list and you can't read this.

Costco (which employs private sector employees) sells Kleenex..in bulk