Bully

AR Build Questions, Guidelines, and Suggestions

Technically, you want longer bullets which tend to be heavier. Personally, I don't understand why eight twist isn't more popular given that it properly stabilizes everything that can be loaded to mag length in an AR15. If your goal is distance, either seven or eight would work with eight giving you a little more versatility on the light bullet side of things.

Because mil spec is 1:7, and frankly 1:9, 1:7, and 1:8 stabilize most everything you can buy from the factory just fine. 1:9 in a 16" barrel might have issues with some stuff over 68gr. 1:7 might have some issues if you find any factory stuff under 50gr. People blow the issue out of proportion.

Isn't barrel length a factor as well? If you're using a 14.5" barrel, wouldn't it make sense to go with 1:7 so the bullet makes two full rotations? I'm not an expert so just asking.

In 16" barrels, I've generally had slightly better performance from barrels that get two full rotations for their length. That might just be because the better at barrels don't tend to come in 1:9 at that length. Can't say I have seen a 1:8 or 1:9 14.5" though.

In 16" barrels, I've generally had slightly better performance from barrels that get two full rotations for their length. That might just be because the better at barrels don't tend to come in 1:9 at that length. Can't say I have seen a 1:8 or 1:9 14.5" though.

Odin makes eight twist 14.5" barrels that are real tackdrivers.

Just went and looked at the Odin barrels. They have one that seems good but it's 223 wylde so tonight I have to do some research.

Prices weren't bad. Quick read seems like it may be exactly what I need.

from what i understand .223 wylde chamber/headspace is a bit tighter than 5.56 offering better accuracy. you can still chamber and fire 5.56 and .223 rem without issue though. if i wanted a competition gun i would probably go with that.

i could be completely wrong here too. im going off my memory from over a year ago when i was researching for my first build. i didnt really see the point of it then for what i wanted to do, so i kinda forgot all about it.

from what i understand .223 wylde chamber/headspace is a bit tighter than 5.56 offering better accuracy. you can still chamber and fire 5.56 and .223 rem without issue though. if i wanted a competition gun i would probably go with that.

i could be completely wrong here too. im going off my memory from over a year ago when i was researching for my first build. i didnt really see the point of it then for what i wanted to do, so i kinda forgot all about it.

.223 wylde is similar to 5.56 in that it has more leade. It's actually very close to 5.56 SAM-R which is the chambering that the marine marksmanship team came up with. It will fire 5.56 just fine. How tight it is depends on the  manufacturer and the reamer. In general given the hsitory of the chambering in competition guns, it is usually tighter. I wouldn't fire steel cased stuff followed brass in a .223 wylde chamber without trying it under casual circumstances first or giving the chamber a decent cleaning. A friend has a JP gun where they followed up some steel case with some soft brass stuff and ripped off the case rim. The brass stuff was very sub par, but a less dramatic FTE is the more common outcome. But JP makes osme accurate guns with tighter chambers. My AR15 armory barrel in .223 wylde didn't care. I also have an 18" 1:8 5.56 chambered barrel. Black hole weaponry also does 1:8 5.56 barrels.