Bully

AR Build Questions, Guidelines, and Suggestions

Yes. I honestly don't believe an SSA type trigger is necessary on a HD/battle rifle.

Just like anything with the AR platform, make the parts fit the purpose.

HD/battle rifle is what the SSA was specifically designed for. when your body gets pumped full of adrenaline you lose fine motor skills. the SSA has 2 stages and breaks like a carrot. giving you more control before the shot goes off.

HD/battle rifle is what the SSA was specifically designed for. when your body gets pumped full of adrenaline you lose fine motor skills. the SSA has 2 stages and breaks like a carrot. giving you more control before the shot goes off.

I get what it was designed for (leo, military DM, etc) but I don't think its a necessity for your average citizen. Not bashing it by any means, I just build my rifles to have the best performance I can with a reasonable price.

no it wasnt, it was originally designed to compete with jp for the match circuit.  I speak to Bill on occasion

a true battle rifle has a 4.5-5.5lb single stage trigger for precisely the reason you cited; adrenaline

Thanks for the clarification, Ty.  Much appreciated. 

What's an SSA trigger?

C

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=316

Two stage combat-oriented trigger.  The first trigger Geissele produced, IIRC.  It's a good trigger if you're a two stage kind of shooter.  I was until I got an S3G and it turned my world upside down.

sg3 is outstanding......you should try the new KAC design that is plated....wow is all I'll say.  the straight pull through has no 'hiccup' like a traditional 2 stage when firing rapidly and reset is non existent.  the traditional use of the 2nd stage breaks on a hair.  I have never had more finely tuned trigger than those but think the sg3 is as close as it gets!

no it wasnt, it was originally designed to compete with jp for the match circuit.  I speak to Bill on occasion

a true battle rifle has a 4.5-5.5lb single stage trigger for precisely the reason you cited; adrenaline

his original high speed match trigger was designed to compete on the match circuit. from what i can gather he was contacted by some special forces guys to make a non adjustable 2 stage trigger for them after the army marksmanship unit got the word out about his match triggers. he then came up with the Super Select Fire (SSA). that gave way to the Super Semi Automatic (SSA) as a civilian version because most civilians dont have select fire rifles. so yes it was designed to be a combat trigger.

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=316

Two stage combat-oriented trigger.  The first trigger Geissele produced, IIRC.  It's a good trigger if you're a two stage kind of shooter.  I was until I got an S3G and it turned my world upside down.

the high speed match was the first trigger he made.

Well do you want opinions on length, twist rate, profile, linings, or maybe something else? Lol

I'm looking to shoot .223/5.56.  Either 55 or 62 grain bullets.  I am thinking a 1/8, 18" medium or heavy barrel.  Stainless. If I can and it's worth it, I'd like the barrel to be ported to keep her on target.  If it doesn't make sense, a nice target crown will do just fine.  This gun will have glass, fwiw.   

Any thoughts?

C

if you want to shoot both .223 and 5.56 make sure you have a 5.56 chambered barrel. the 1:8 twist would probably suit both 55 and 62 grain bullets. but you would have to shoot both and decide which works better, but they should be fairly similar in a 1:8 barrel. if you arent going to be shooting fast i wouldnt worry about porting the barrel.

his original high speed match trigger was designed to compete on the match circuit. from what i can gather he was contacted by some special forces guys to make a non adjustable 2 stage trigger for them after the army marksmanship unit got the word out about his match triggers. he then came up with the Super Select Fire (SSA). that gave way to the Super Semi Automatic (SSA) as a civilian version because most civilians dont have select fire rifles. so yes it was designed to be a combat trigger.

the high speed match was the first trigger he made.

I'll give you his number and you can talk to him......sounds like you've been reading too much internet mumbo jumbo...lol  no offense meant of course

bill designed a trigger for his use in matches and later teamed up with a guy from the military who liked his trigger.  He then set out to build one for national matches which was his first 2 stage.   it wasn't until later tha the military contacted him.....as said, started for match competition

Lots of talk on triggers.  Who knew?

Dare I open the discussion on barrels?

C

ahhhhh barrels....this REALLY depends on your intended application. 

I recommend a few rifles just to be sure you have your bases covered.....lol

I'm looking to shoot .223/5.56.  Either 55 or 62 grain bullets.  I am thinking a 1/8, 18" medium or heavy barrel.  Stainless. If I can and it's worth it, I'd like the barrel to be ported to keep her on target.  If it doesn't make sense, a nice target crown will do just fine.  This gun will have glass, fwiw.   

Any thoughts?

C

rainier arms 18" medcon barrel will give you this.  I have 2 of them and they've both shot very well.

To be honest though, with the kind of shooting you'll do in NJ, you will be fine with 14.5 or 16....

I'll give you his number and you can talk to him......sounds like you've been reading too much internet mumbo jumbo...lol  no offense meant of course

this info came straight from his mouth in a video on youtube. so i guess hes just another lying business man trying to con my hard earned money?

rainier arms 18" medcon barrel will give you this.  I have 2 of them and they've both shot very well.

To be honest though, with the kind of shooting you'll do in NJ, you will be fine with 14.5 or 16....

Thanks much.  I'll check them out. 

C

Just out of curiosity, how are the Doublestar barrels?  I came across this one (  http://jtdistributing.net/store/product1230.html ) and it fits my aesthetics and I like the fact that it's ported.  The price isn't bad, either. 

That being said, if the quality is know to suck or is dubious, I will take a pass. 

C

In a carbine class I hosted, we had a CAG guy win the shoot-off with an unmodified USGI trigger right out of a DPMS LPK.  It was gritty, it was creepy, it was heavy.  But he shot the hell out of it to be the best shooter out of a class of 20.  I think everyone should shoot a standard trigger to appreciate an aftermarket one and to not short change themselves in developing their skills.

Great advice.    I guess I can say I fell victim to this too. 

Sometimes it is easier to blame the trigger or get caught up in the "buy a XYZ trigger".  Then someone comes along and out shots you with a boring old standard USGI. 

I have three Geissele, a JP, a RRA 2-stage, and an LMT 2-stage trigger. All work great for their intended purposes but I find myself wanting to improve my shooting with the standard USGI trigger.

doublestar?  how much are you looking to spend on a barrel?

Actually been looking around a bit and getting WAY ahead of myself.  Gonna skip the barrel shopping and concentrate on a lower parts kit at this time.

Any recommendations?  I'm comfortable in the hundred dollar range at this time.  Would like it to include a trigger which I will look to upgrade in the future.  I don't feel like I need a grip to be included.  I've read good things about G&R Tactical and I'll be giving Ty a call as well.  But before I bug those folks I'd love some suggestions.

C

I would suggest looking for a kit with an enhanced trigger guard and getting a comfortable grip. The ones PSA sells can group these in your lpk with or without a GI or slightly upgraded trigger like the ACT

Sounds good.  I took a look at the PSA site and man is there a lot of crap out there for these things!    It's seriously overwhelming. 

Does any one have any feedback on the Wilson Combat LPK's?  I know what most are going to say...  Why spend the money?  Well, because I want to.  Also, Wilson have a great reputation in the industry and I'm willing to trust it.  Also, the price isn't all that bad at 50 buck.  I also won't need to toss any parts as it doesn't come with a trigger group or grip.  So, what say you?  I'm willing to listen to dissenting opinions for sure and am easily swayed. 

C