EWC88

Good price?

Was at a LGS looking at shotguns. Was either gonna do the 500 or 870. I liked how light the 500 was, but the 870 is built to last. I can deal with the weight of 870 so its not a HUGE deal. Price they where asking was $329.99 has a rebate but paper didn't say what kind of rebate, and it comes with one choke. Oh and it's the wood furniture, not black like I wanted but I can always buy that.

Good deal?

If you like the black, get it.  Mossbergs and Remingtons are available all over the place.  Either would serve you well.  Use the search to check for previous discussions on this.  Depending on the model you were viewing, that price is about average.

500s are built to last too. I have one that is 18 years old and has probably over 60,000 rounds through it and has spent a bit of time in the field too. the only parts that broke are a wood front grip and an extractor pin. 

First step - don't listen to anyone at a gun shop.

Everyone swears by which one is their favorite. I bet if you did a poll it would be VERY close in terms of 870 vs 500.

What do I prefer? Mossberg all the way. There is a reason why I have 4..5..6.however many of them. One of mine has what I would guess to be over 30,000 shells through it. I will say the Mossberg seems a bit easier to disassemble, and a lot of people prefer the safety on the 500 than the 870.

Honestly, hold both and shoulder them both. Whichever one feels better is the one you want to get. They will both last forever.

I have an 870 my father gave me 30 years ago, the gun is just over 50 years old with probably over 50,000 rounds through it.  Still runs perfectly.

Although I favor the 870, since it has sentimental value (and has broken many, many clays), I don't think you can go wrong with either gun.

Dick's will have the 870 for $269 on black Friday http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Dicks-Sporting-Goods/Ad?page=9#viewer

Get there at midnight. They'll go fast

See their open at 8 on turkey day, may just go then for the heck of it to be sure I get one lol

I did hold both, and biggest difference I notice was weight. The moss was lighter hands down but still the 870 wasn't too heavy.

I picked up one of the 870 Police magnums from Freedom Ammo, I like hoe light and compact it feels compared to my hunting shotguns.

Hey Abelest, I didn't make it to FA yesterday, do you know if he got any handguns in stock.

Ok who was?!?! Who bought the 870 yesterday! Glen was mistaken and the one he thought he had in back was sold yesterday. Going call him back to hold my name just incase he gets more, but I'm after whoever beat me to it! (Kidding around)