jm1827

Help me decide on a new .22

OK- as the topic says, I am looking for a new .22.  No specific purpose other than something I can shoot a lot and something to teach the wife on (she thinks the recoil on my .357 is too much even with light .38 loads).

I looked at and shot a few guns and have narrowed it down to either a Ruger SR22 or a S&W 22A or M&P 22.

My main criteria is that it is is not picky with ammo.

OK- as the topic says, I am looking for a new .22.  No specific purpose other than something I can shoot a lot and something to teach the wife on (she thinks the recoil on my .357 is too much even with light .38 loads).

I looked at and shot a few guns and have narrowed it down to either a Ruger SR22 or a S&W 22A or M&P 22.

My main criteria is that it is is not picky with ammo.

I currently have all 3 of those in stock

My wife likes my Browning Buckmark so much she declared it was hers. I had to explain that it doesn't work like that in Jersey. It was the only time I was thankful for our retarded gun laws. :)

If you want a gun to pass on to your grandkids, look at the Browning Buckmark (not the camper version).

IF you also want it to be a tack driving bullseye gun, you will need to reopen your field as none are up to that task. With that said, I've almost entirely retired by Ruger Mks in favor of the SR22s when I conduct NRA pistol classes. The women love the pistol! It's also a breeze to field strip and clean, nice sights out of the box, and reliable (eats all the .22 it's fed! Trigger is long, but I prefer that on instruction guns. Great pricing from Ruger too for instructors.

I have a Ruger SR22.  Love it.

Doubt you'll find a review of it having problems with ammo that's NOT related to the ammo (had a couple split cases and light charges in the Remington Golden Bullet I'm currently working through.)

I dumped 525 rounds through it in 2 days and it just kept on going.

22a has pretty big grips and not many options for aftermarket. A good gun, but I upgraded to the Buckmark and love it. My dad has the Beretta Neos, and constantly comments on how much nicer my Buckmark is. I find the Neos and the 22a mag release buttons to be a little weird in layout, but both shoot nice. 

If you are ever heading out to Range 14, lemme know ahead of time and you can try out my Buckmark.

What about S&W 617?

I second this one.  I just picked up a 4" and it is a blast to shoot.  Grips are small enough that anyone with smaller hands will be comfortable on it.  Accurate.  Shoots anything, even shorts.  Just a great gun.  Great to teach new shooters on as well.  lf someone can get accurate with that long DA trigger pull, being accurate on a semi auto will be a breeze.  Same size as a 686 so it feels like a "real" gun, too.  Only problems are price and finding one. 

C

Went an bought the SR22, the LGS had one for a decent price so I bought it and took it home.  Hope to get out shooting with it next weekend.

One more permit to go, but will probably have to wait until after the holidays.