Steve_G

Rabid Racoon

Found this little guy stumbling around my front porch this morning. Called PD and animal control....USELESS!!! Should have just grabbed the 22 and put it out of it's misery. Now it's in my driveway until I can find someone to come and get it. You would think they would be more helpful dealing with sick wildlife in residential areas.

post-2340-0-57198500-1384611626_thumb.jpg

Animal control is useless..  I told them I had some type of animal in a chemical shed and they said call an exterminator.   I make a call a week later and say there is a beaver on my works property 2 cops and 3 animal control employees showed up within 15 minutes...

It is exhibiting the signs of rabies. Stumbling gate, does not react to motion or sound, lethargic.

This is also a perfect description of distemper.

Racoons are nocturnal so you don't usually seem them wandering in the day time..

they are nocturnal but it is very common to see them during the day especially in the early morning or early evening and this time of year they are trying to fatten up a bit for the winter when there is less food available.

OP call your health dept in the morning and report the lack of response from animal control they are the ones who employ animal control and they should have responded to your complaint. However it was not smart of you to trap the animal, I assume you do not have your pre exposure rabies shot and the post exposure shots and not guaranteed to work.

Animal control is useless..  I told them I had some type of animal in a chemical shed and they said call an exterminator.   I make a call a week later and say there is a beaver on my works property 2 cops and 3 animal control employees showed up within 15 minutes...

Animal control does not cover out buildings so they are not useless that falls under pest control. if the animal is in the living area of your home (not attic or basement) that falls under animal control. If your not happy with that maybe you would be willing to pay higher taxes so your town can include pest control in their contract with animal control. Stating that "animal control is useless" is like saying that all gun owners are murders, just because you had one bad experience doesn't make all animal control officers useless.

Animal control does not cover out buildings so they are not useless that falls under pest control. if the animal is in the living area of your home (not attic or basement) that falls under animal control. If your not happy with that maybe you would be willing to pay higher taxes so your town can include pest control in their contract with animal control. Stating that "animal control is useless" is like saying that all gun owners are murders, just because you had one bad experience doesn't make all animal control officers useless.

What is the difference between an out building, and the lawn next to the out building?  Neither time the animal was in a living area, they appeared to pick and choose the type of animals they want to deal with. 

A beaver is a fur bearing species all of which are protected in this state because they are considered a natural resource. A Beaver on your lawn during the day could be a sign that it is sick or injured  and that's probably why they responded. And an unknown uninjured healthy animal in a shed still falls under pest control (usually they are mice, rats, or squirrels) and if it could get in it can get out also or just leave the door open if it is safe to do so. Its not animal control that's picking and choosing what calls they respond to its your town and the contract they have with animal control. If you really want you can go to your Municipal clerks office and fill out an OPRA form and request the animal control contract and you can read it for your self. You don't understand the calls that come into animal control. People call because they see a fawn deer without its mom, a fox eating garbage that the home owner left out,  they saw a snake in their garden, they saw squirrels running fast chasing each other and many other completely ridiculous complaints. You think animal control is useless but if we all stopped doing our jobs rabies would spread through the state like wildfire. Then you probably would not think we are so useless.

There was one racoon that we thougt was rabid on my property. Daytime sitings, aggressive, and was walkomg drunk. Anyway we accidently trapped it (trying to get and relocate a pesky groud hog in our garden) and called animal control. They took it and did whatever to cgeck for rabies. This was mid summer and never heard back. After talking to the vet last month, mother racoons come out during the day time to time and that may have been the case. Fun fact. If you do decide to off it don't do a head shot. You need to ship its head to a facility in trenton for testing occurding to my vet. Good luck

Animal control here is utterly useless as well.

I manage a mobile home park for senior citizens and a rabid raccoon call might get you the animal control officer in a few hours...or a few days. He's generally far to busy at wawa bsing then to actually do anything.

You should invest in some of the CCI "quiet" .22 loads.

Posted Today, 01:50 PM

Danno, on 16 Nov 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:snapback.png

Store it in a garbage can full of water until they come.

Realistically, this^ except don't call anyone. Shooting it could just spread disease. Drown it, bury it, then STFU.

With heavy emphasis on this --------------------------------------------------------------------------------^.

I see you have a milk crate there. I hope you are the properly registered owner. I'm with the dairy police.

Talk to my neighbor, he brought the crate over.

Really hope that thing hasn't been sitting around for 3 days...

Nope. As you can see, it's doing fine and has spent the last two days on the couch listening to the Beatles........Can you guess which song?

I talked to freejersey on sunday.  The racoon is fine.  Just ate some fermented berries in his yard.

He sent me this yesterday.

popcorn.gif

Just to be clear, I got permission from the raccoon's mother to let him have popcorn.