mikka1

CZ 75 - Manual safety (B, SP-01) vs. Decocker (BD, SP-01 Tac)

Hi everyone, 

I am currently in the market for a full frame CZ 75 (ideally some SP-01 variant if I can find one) and was wondering if there is a strong reason why I should prefer Manual safety versions vs. Decocker versions?

I might be completely mistaken, but after looking through CZ USA Facebook posts, forums like czfirearms.us, I had an impression that CZ 75B is by FAR more popular among people than its decocker BD version. It does not seem that obvious with SP-01s, but still. 

I also watched a couple of Youtube videos with respective comparisons and it appeared for me that apart from the obvious difference in safety mechanisms, there is not that much else that those guns are different in (I noticed only slightly different beavertail shape in SP-01 Tac vs SP-01 Std). I also ran into a comment (I think it was on CZCustom) that decocker versions are slightly more difficult (and a bit more expensive) for custom jobs to be done with them (not sure if that's really the case). 

So far I'd prefer to buy either SP-01 Tactical or 75 BD, but maybe I should look at SP-01 Standard / 75B instead?

Thanks a lot!

I have a 75 BD compact and was only looking for a decocker 75 model. I was looking for the full frame 75 but I was pressed for time because I had my last pistol permit to expire within days and luckily I found a compact 75 with decocker in my local shop. 

I personally dislike any manual safety feature on guns  and would prefer no safety at all on any pistol I bought. I think pistols look better and cleaner looking without a safety or decocker but if I had no choice in the matter then I would choose the decocker feature.  Just my preference again of course but I don't think I would ever use the safety switch on a pistol.  I do like and use the decocker on the CZ but only when the chamber and mag is empty and I rack the slide.  I was taught at a young age that the best gun safety is your finger off the trigger. 

From what I understand after reading a lot the big difference is that the decoker model is a lot harder to work on. I know that the few CZ gunsmiths that work on both charge more money to work on the decoker.  When I bought my CZ awhile ago a very respected smith told me to only buy the decoker if that's all you could find and you couldn't wait for the safety model.

I don't think it really matters what model you get unless it is to be used in competition as most guns used that way are all models with safeties. I have been looking for an SP-01 for a long time and I came across a tactical model a little while back and didn't buy it because I kept hearing that smith say just wait for a safety model.

I should of bought it...oh well.. all the same work can be done on them it just costs a little more.

From what I understand after reading a lot the big difference is that the decoker model is a lot harder to work on. I know that the few CZ gunsmiths that work on both charge more money to work on the decoker.  When I bought my CZ awhile ago a very respected smith told me to only buy the decoker if that's all you could find and you couldn't wait for the safety model.

I don't think it really matters what model you get unless it is to be used in competition as most guns used that way are all models with safeties. I have been looking for an SP-01 for a long time and I came across a tactical model a little while back and didn't buy it because I kept hearing that smith say just wait for a safety model.

I basically heard/read the same thing about complexities of working with decocker versions, so apparently those "rumours" seem to have some foundation behind them.

I came across the Standard SP-01 online a week ago and by the time I finally decided to order it (it was really a matter of an hour or so while I was calling Steve from Monmouth Arms to ask him a couple of questions) it disappeared from the stock, LOL :-)

BTW, I think Bud's seem to have CZ 75 B in stock now, but I haven't seen SP-01 anywhere lately...

I have a 75 BD compact and was only looking for a decocker 75 model. I was looking for the full frame 75 but I was pressed for time because I had my last pistol permit to expire within days and luckily I found a compact 75 with decocker in my local shop. 

I personally dislike any manual safety feature on guns  and would prefer no safety at all on any pistol I bought. I think pistols look better and cleaner looking without a safety or decocker but if I had no choice in the matter then I would choose the decocker feature.  Just my preference again of course but I don't think I would ever use the safety switch on a pistol.  I do like and use the decocker on the CZ but only when the chamber and mag is empty and I rack the slide.  I was taught at a young age that the best gun safety is your finger off the trigger. 

Luckily I have plenty of time as I used one of my 2 permits less than a week ago and I still *have* to wait ~a month now due to OGAM. But I already see how nervous I will become closer to the day I can use my permit if I don't find any SP-01 in stock by that time :-)

Essentially I would probably prefer decocker version as well... damn, I'l just have to get both at some point :))))

The de-cocker is great if you are uncomfortable de-cocking it yourself or are uncomfortable having it "cocked and locked".  Some like that feature, some dont.  I have the manual safety version 75B, and I prefer the manual safety myself, but I wouldn't turn my nose at the de-cocker version of the 75B..   Depending on what you will be doing with the gun, it may or may not make any difference whatsoever..  If you are taking it to the range and using it only as a HD gun, then it wont really matter which you choose because you "probably" wont have it cocked all the time anyway..  (unless you keep your gun at Condition 1, which includes a cocked hammer).. 

Really, though, the guns will feel and perform the same, its just a extra feature..  SP-01's are harder to find than the regular 75B models, for sure. 

I have two CZ-75B's as you can see in the little picture below.  Both are safety models, which I much prefer over the decocker.  I have a Beretta 92FS with a decocker, so I have experience with both.  The reason I like the safety better is because I use these guns in IDPA and USPSA competition. To shoot in production or SSP it is trivial to manually decock the gun to be able to start hammer down.  What is nice is you can also use the gun in Limited or ESP and use it cocked and locked.  Thus, why give yourself fewer options if you don't have to.

If you like decocker guns - get one of the "D" variants! In all reality there isn't much difference. I own a CZ 75B full size w/ safety and often shoot with my buddy who owns a compact P01, which is decock only. Both triggers feel very close, with the P01 being a tad a bit heavier. But that's all - both guns are great to shoot!

The only other thought that was already brought up was around gunsmithing. If you plan to work on your pistol or have it worked on, the decocker guns are more complicated than the manual safety guns. You have the added complexity of the sear cage and the lever springs that tend to go flying everywhere when disassembled. Additionally, with the manual safety gun, you have the option to convert it from DA/SA to a SA only gun, where as with the decocker gun, you don't. So like howard said, the safety versions just gives you more options and an easier time if you're looking to customize.

I have the P01. Great compact pistol. The only downside is that it's left side only. If you're a lefty, you are using the weak hand to de-cock. Trigger pull is roughly equivalent to 75B trigger, perhaps a little worse. All standard cz triggers have that little hitch where a cocked hammer travels backwards before striking. Replacing the hammer with the new style target hammer becomes a great trigger job.

Many thanks to everyone!!

So just went ahead and placed an order online for SP-01 with manual safety :-) Hopefully they really have it in stock, not just BSing...

Maybe some time later I'll get CZ 75 BD as another gun... (when I have moooore permits)

*** edited in a sad mood ***

BudGunsShop has just cancelled my order for SP-01 as it appears that they do NOT ship any non-compliant guns to any states if they are not compliant right out of the box. That is extremely sad, will have to wait for this gun to appear in stock of a friendlier gun store... Huge -1 to Buds :-(( Will probably never look for anything there :-(

Thanks, I checked them already :-( They don't have any SP-01s in stock now. Impactguns has SP-01, but significantly more expensive than Buds.. And again no confidence that they will be willing to ship it out to NJ...

So if you did get someone to ship to NJ - do you have an FFL that will make

the mags NJ compliant?

RTSP will do that, they just did it for a CZ-75B I had shipped in that came with 16 round mags.

Jack, yes, I've already contacted with one of NJ FFLs (pretty well known here) and he agreed to modify magazines for a small fee...

I also know who will definitely send the gun (also already contacted with several online stores), but none of them have SP-01 in stock now :-)...

(edit)

And yes, Howard is right, RTSP can do this as well - I specifically asked them about that when I was buying my first gun with them...

I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago they usually come with 18 rd mags. I also had a Buds cancel a S&W 625 after I made a few payments on it. This was right after USPSA made 8 shot revolvers legal. The 625 was only $750 and I really think they realized that they could sell it for more. I had already made 3 or 4 payments on it. They ended up giving me a $25 dollar credit and my money went to another pistol I had on layaway. I was not happy as 625's are now much more expensive if you can even find one.

I have been looking for an SP-01 for many months with no luck, so GOOD LUCK!!

Don't know if this is relevant to the safety vs decocker debate at this point..... But if you go with the 75b in polished stainless, it comes with safety only. No decocker version is available. It's a sweet pistol. And an easy decision about the safety!

Also FWIW I spoke to remixer about a month or so ago and he had an sp01 inbound. So may be worth reaching out to him. Probably gone by now but you never know...can't hurt to check in.

Oldspice, thanks, we are in touch with him. Apparently SP-01s, when they are in stock, are sold literally within hours.

I first checked Bud's that day at around 10am and it was in stock. I placed an order at around noon EST. Later I checked at around 6pm - it was already gone ... and 2 hours later they cancelled my order :-(

Same for impactguns - 10am - got an email that they have them in stock, evening same day - out of stock.

Same for damascus - morning last week - in stock, evening same day - out.

So the only piece of advice I can now give to anyone who wants SP-01...

You see it in stock? Great...

Check if you can buy it (== it's not Bud)

If yes, then order it NOW :-))) Otherwise a couple of hours later it can be gone...