jm3isme

Rattle can ar paint job.. Lets see pics

I'm thinking about painting my ar with some type of rattle can camo. I'm leaning towards a woodland type camo, something with some green and/or olive drab. I'm sure you guys have done it. Give me some pointers. And show off your paint jobs.

Thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Don't have pics but have done 2. Easy. Clean gun off off all oils and such.

Spray entire gun a base color, let dry somewhat.

Cut some carboard with wavy lines, take second color and spray where you want and same with third. Dont hold the can too close so you get more of a muted camo. Let dry and run hard. It may chip a little here and there but of $6 its the best thing out there. The best looking guns IMO are rattle can jobs. You can also change the camo as conditions see fit. I was hesitant at first, then talking to some guys that have been oversees and have actually done it I was game.

Don't have pics but have done 2. Easy. Clean gun off off all oils and such.

Spray entire gun a base color, let dry somewhat.

Cut some carboard with wavy lines, take second color and spray where you want and same with third. Dont hold the can too close so you get more of a muted camo. Let dry and run hard. It may chip a little here and there but of $6 its the best thing out there. The best looking guns IMO are rattle can jobs. You can also change the camo as conditions see fit. I was hesitant at first, then talking to some guys that have been oversees and have actually done it I was game.

I like the rattle can look after the rifle picks up some character i.e. scratches and chips in the paint. 

would it be better to do this on polymer lower? anyone priming first?

Polymer shouldn't matter you can see my folding stock came out the same as the barrel and reciever. No priming necessary

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

No pics but I’ve done it  (paint ball gun) by laying down a base color, and then “masking” by laying some branches with small leaves attached over the first coat and spraying that, and then doing the same for the third color.  Don’t spray too close and let each color dry. Practice on a piece of cardboard until you get a pattern you like.

It'll freak you out the first time you spray paint your gun (at least it did me), but if you take your time the results can be very nice.

would it be better to do this on polymer lower? anyone priming first?

No priming. Just degrease it well. Simple green work great for this. Remove whatever you don't want painted, tape anything glass (flashlight lens, optic lenses) or rubber (tape switches, flashlight buttons, etc...) and tape your iron sights if you can't remove them. It also dries faster if the gun is warm - letting it sit in the sun for a bit prior to painting, and after painting is complete is helpful.

sweet..any particular brand paint?

Aervoe seems to work best and has a great color line up for what you want.

5c4991d1aa06cc4802f734652a933af7_zpsfcc4

For true camo purposes, vice pretty guns, large blended blotches is better. Using broad strokes mist the entire gun. Then using the same technique cover portions of the rifle with other colors. You can use netting (net laundry bags and fishnet stockings work well) leaves/sticks, stencils, cardboard, tape, etc if you want to add shapes to the paint job.

Painting the barrel is fine also, just stuff the break/comp with paper towels or something. Make sure you keep the dust cover closed (I also remove the BCG) and don't paint the "stem" on the charging handle.

If you can find it, finish with a matte clear.

DSC00304.jpg

Here is the monster mosin i built with a rattle can and some masking tape.  Put your base color down over the entire gun, then mask off your stripes and spray with your second color and do highlights with a small paint brush.  I like brownells alumahyde, it's tough as nails. 

I am going to revive this thread.  I am ready to paint my AK with rustoleum camo tan, to make 2 tone, tan and black.  3 questions?

1. Best degreaser?  simple green, brake cleaner, etc...?

2. Do I need to prime?

3. Do I need a clear coat?

I am going to revive this thread.  I am ready to paint my AK with rustoleum camo tan, to make 2 tone, tan and black.  3 questions?

1. Best degreaser?  simple green, brake cleaner, etc...?

2. Do I need to prime?

3. Do I need a clear coat?

1. I just cleaned it with like cleaning wipes...

2. I did not.. Paint stuck fine and is holding up better than expected

3. Imo no... It will never be as good as a full coating like cerakote... And where it's going to wear it will wear... Clear won't really help.. Imo

Sorry if it's off-topic, but where'd you find an adapter for the stock to fit the angled receiver? And what stock is that? I'm looking for something for my Zastava.

Thanks!

Both the adapter and stock are made by ace. The adapter is not on their website, you have to call them and send them a closeup picture of the slanted portion of the receiver. The stock is the tactical lite or something like that. It comes with a foam sleeve but i tossed that and wrapped the tube in 18 feet of paracord.

Thanks MartyZ!

Both the adapter and stock are made by ace. The adapter is not on their website, you have to call them and send them a closeup picture of the slanted portion of the receiver. The stock is the tactical lite or something like that. It comes with a foam sleeve but i tossed that and wrapped the tube in 18 feet of paracord.