jm3isme

Rattle can ar paint job.. Lets see pics

the snakeskin looks really really good.. I planned to do something similar.. what did you use?

Lol.... My wife's fishnet stockings. Or at least one leg... Just kidding. Bought a cheap pair off of Amazon for 6 bux. Painted the base color, let it dry, then gingerly put rifle in leg as not to get runs you know. ;)

Pulled it wide around stock and tapered it toward barrel. Did one side at a time. Hit it with variations of Rustoleum Camo colors, (4)... Waited for it to dry.

Gently flipped over and did other side.

After net was off, did touch ups, the mag and charging handle. Once all dry, removed paint that may have gotten on internal parts from over spray and viola....

Most clear coats are glossy, which will mostly defeat the while purpose of the camo paint job. With a little work you may find some matte clear coat, but it's like made from unicorn horns and hen's teeth or something.

In any event, I think a painted rifle looks better with chips, dings, and wear marks. Gives it "character", tells a story as it were. So if it was my rifle I wouldn't clear coat it. But that's just me.

Not worried about chips. Won't gun cleaning chemicals remove the paint? I did find auto clear coat satin rated for 2000 degrees. Nothing mentioned about unicorn horns or anything. Lol...

I got all kinds of wear and dings after the class I was just at. I actually don't think I let it dry enough.

Think it says complete set in about 24 hours. Especially on plastic. But that could vary with temp and humidity.

Did you strip all oils and stuff off? I used Gun Scrubber on the whole gun.

Yeah I used slip 2000 degreaser but some leaked out from the lower after spraying. Charging handle area hammer and trigger pin area. Takedown pins. Etc

Not familiar with that product, but Gun Scrubber goes on like freon, runs everything off and evaporites quick...

Walmart has Krylon Matte Clear. I just bought a can a few days ago at the one in Readington.

I saw that. I may not need it. I tried the 2 main cleaners I use on it and it seems to hold well. However, that Satin Clear at auto centers may be better off. They are rated at 2000 degrees. I'll see if it's worth it first. If the paint holds up, I'll skip it. Walmart does have the 6-pack camo kit cheap though. Good to have.

I'm going to paint myself next so my wife can't see me sitting on the couch watching the tube. Lol...

my first time playing with duracoat aerosol , I love this stuff!!! the key was in the prep work, lots of acetone, steel wool and a whole lot of true-strip. drying time was 3 weeks, but well worth the results. handguard and stock is duracoat #91 magpul olive drab and everything else is duracoat #92 Rem 870 Black

20140819_150458_zps7dff1122.jpg