jermz1987

Official NJGF Bug Out Bag Thread

Some things I would add in addition to what's been mentioned:

Zip ties, hand/toe warmers, deck of cards(or something else to keep you sane), cheap poncho from Target(in addition to quality rain gear), some sort of "hot" food, any pet supplies(if you have a pet), any prescription stuff(including contacts & glasses), stuff to make you poop & stuff to make you not poop(learned that camping).

Some things I would add in addition to what's been mentioned:

Zip ties, hand/toe warmers, deck of cards(or something else to keep you sane), cheap poncho from Target(in addition to quality rain gear), some sort of "hot" food, any pet supplies(if you have a pet), any prescription stuff(including contacts & glasses), stuff to make you poop & stuff to make you not poop(learned that camping).

All good points.  Pretty much got them all except for the deck of cards hehe.

Make sure if you're storing things like AA batteries, to put batteries in there that will last a long time - think the new(ish) Energizer Lithium batteries which usually have a 10-15 year shelf life.  A pack I have right in my desk is labeled "use by 2026."  The lithium AAs last longer, not only in terms of shelf life, but also last substantially longer during actual on-battery use.

I've currently got a very basic BOB, put together with stuff I already had laying around.  Once I have spare money to spend, I'll replace and upgrade components in mine.

Make sure if you're storing things like AA batteries, to put batteries in there that will last a long time - think the new(ish) Energizer Lithium batteries which usually have a 10-15 year shelf life.  A pack I have right in my desk is labeled "use by 2026."  The lithium AAs last longer, not only in terms of shelf life, but also last substantially longer during actual on-battery use.

I've currently got a very basic BOB, put together with stuff I already had laying around.  Once I have spare money to spend, I'll replace and upgrade components in mine.

Thx for the tip.   I'm the same, majority stuff I already had as well.

Are you worried about that Glock in your Bug out bag... We are in NJ :)

I would include a AR in mine :)

I thought about a long gun of some sort with my BOB setup.  I decided against it because it would draw too much attention.  I've got a Glock 19 w/ three spare mags in my bag in a IWB holster.  My thinking being that if I got into a firefight, I did something wrong.  My BOB is meant to get me to a safe, pre-arranged location which has a long gun (or two).

As for what's in my bag:

Water:
MSR Miox filtration unit w/ extra rock salt and test strips
Katadyn water purification tablets
Polar Pure

Fire:
Waterproof matches
Lighter x2
Steel & flint
Jute string and fat wood
Alcohol stove
4x hip-flask sized containers of alcohol

Food:
3x field stripped MREs
Collapsible aluminum cookware
Individually packed bags of trail mix

Sanitation:
Hand sanitizer
Roll of TP
Travel sized containers of shampoo, deodorant, and sunblock

Lights:
Headlamp
Flashlight
CR123 batteries x4

Gun stuff:
G19 in MTAC
G17 mags x3

Misc:
Standard FAK
Lightweight 30F sleeping bag
10x monocular
Compass
Whistle
Signaling mirror
50' paracord
Kabar
Underwear x3
Pair of socks x3
3 mil contractor bags
20x packets of Propel to mix with water...it's got electrolytes!
Spork

Most everything has been stuffed in ziploc bags to give some semblance of water resistance too.

There is a distinction worth mentioning here between a BOB, which assumes you are evacuating from your home, and a Get Home Bag (GHB) which you would keep in your car to enable you to take care of yourself until you get home.  The kinds of disasters I have experienced have all been things where what I needed was a GHB, e.g. 9/11, blizzards (1978), etc.  In either case you're going to need water, food, a way to stay warm, etc.  As a result, I have a backpack kept in my car.  If I ever need it while at home, I can just bring it inside.

I might have missed it from somebody's list, but including copies of important documents, e.g. passport, FID, etc. is a good idea.

I have a medium size back pack (US Army Issue, not sure of the actual name) in the trunk of my car and this is what is inside of it:

Cheap Vodka (bartering tool and or sterilization method)

Tri-Fold Military style shovel

2x emergency "space" blankets

2 magnesium fire starters

bic lighter

First aid kit

Survival knife

Compas

USGS maps of current state and bordering states.

1x MRE

Water purification tablets

canteen

canteen cup

100' 550 cord (para-cord)

Bonnie hat

shamog (light scarf)

dozen road flares

flare gun

rain jacket

3x black garbage bags

sleeping mat

head strapped flashlight

small/cheap led flashlight 

am/fm/tv/air radio

extra batteries

3x extra socks (MOST IMPORTANT ITEM!)

3x underwear

3x undershirts

"rite in the rain" notebook

pencils and pens

I call this my GHB (get home bag)

However it can be used to Bug Out as well.