sof

Dumbest NJ gun law

What do you consider the dumbest NJ gun law and why do you feel that way?

For me, it's the rule that an AR stock has to be pinned. Let's say the law is to prevent concealablity, so, what if a stock is pinned at it's shortest length? Same dimensions. If you are trying to prevent a folding type stock making it 'like a handgun', that's one long handgun with very little advantage over many of the semis and/or revolvers out there. Maybe, it's just to try to make it harder to have a gun that is perfectly comfortable for more than one shooter.

(1) 2 words "Justifiable Need"

(2) ALL THIS

Assault firearm" means:
(1) The following firearms:
Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
Weaver Arm Nighthawk.
(2) Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially
identical to any of the firearms listed above.
(3) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six
rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.
(4) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds.
(5) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm
into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may
be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the
same person.

I don't know if I can pick only 1.   Probably the 15 rd limit

That's a bad law, and a law that impacts our freedoms, but it's not the "dumbest."  I can at least imagine what people are thinking when they created the law.

Here's the dumbest: slingshots are guns.

That's a bad law, and a law that impacts our freedoms, but it's not the "dumbest."  I can at least imagine what people are thinking when they created the law.

I thought that there was a gun that was nicknamed a slingshot and the dummies who wrote the law weren't specific enough and now they can't fix it.  

That'll be tough to beat

The Wife has to drive to PA to buy HG ammo (even .22's) since she doesn't hold a NJFID, even though it's for me for Christmas...........

And a Cop who is also a firearms collector has to undergo the entire permit process to buy another HG even though he/she wears a gun all day for work?

The Wife has to drive to PA to buy HG ammo (even .22's) since she doesn't hold a NJFID, even though it's for me for Christmas...........

All of NJ's gun laws passed since the 1960s are incredibly dumb, since the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is right across the river from the NJ Capitol Building.

Do NJ legislators seriously believe that Trenton gangsters are too stupid to find their way across the Calhoun Street bridge?

All of NJ's gun laws passed since the 1960s are incredibly dumb, since the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is right across the river from the NJ Capitol Building.

Do NJ legislators seriously believe that Trenton gangsters are too stupid to find their way across the Calhoun Street bridge?

^^^^^EXACTLY!^^^^

And a Cop who is also a firearms collector has to undergo the entire permit process to buy another HG even though he/she wears a gun all day for work?

As much as I disagree with the onerous gun laws, I 100% support the idea that police should have to follow them just like any other citizen for off-duty use.  Carve-outs is what gives them the power to create these bad laws because they get the support (and votes) from their buddies who are exempted.

As much as I disagree with the onerous gun laws, I 100% support the idea that police should have to follow them just like any other citizen for off-duty use.  Carve-outs is what gives them the power to create these bad laws because they get the support (and votes) from their buddies who are exempted.

I partly agree with you on this.  Cops should not be treated differently than any other citizen.  That said, any citizen (including cops) once they are legally allowed to own one gun should be able to buy as many additional ones as rapidly as they want with no further intrusion by the government.  Heck if someone already owns a gun they don't need another one to go kill someone, so why make them jump through all the hoops as it does absolutely nothing to prevent violence or keep people safe.

I am solidly in the "all of them" camp, but if you forced me to pick just one....... hollowpoint restrictions.

If the govt knows someone is gonna get shot, why the hell do they care whether the bullet expands by X% vs Y%? If anything, they should ENCOURAGE hollow points because they have less chance to overpenetrate and hit an innocent bystander!

smh

What do you consider the dumbest NJ gun law and why do you feel that way?

For me, it's the rule that an AR stock has to be pinned. 

That was the first thing that came to my mind, but given the validity of all the others mentioned, I'd say that trying to single out just one dumb gun law

in this state is a rather futile endeavor.