Shawnmoore81

Gonna order a 1911

I have seen quite a few Kimbers crap out. The most spectacular one was when I watched one literally disintegrate in a shooters hand on day 2 of a 5 day course at Blackwater in 2005. The instructors weren't even surprised. They said they see two or three Kimbers a month do that in their courses.

I have seen quite a few Kimbers crap out. The most spectacular one was when I watched one literally disintegrate in a shooters hand on day 2 of a 5 day course at Blackwater in 2005. The instructors weren't even surprised. They said they see two or three Kimbers a month do that in their courses.

I Dont think so.. 

I never understood the Kimber hate. I have yet to have a real issue with mine(1500 rounds) and i shoot the cheap stuff. Only failure I had was with the factory mag, and once in a while I don't slam the mag in. But I can't blame that on the gun.

I Dont think so..

Why don't you think so?

I never understood the Kimber hate. I have yet to have a real issue with mine(1500 rounds) and i shoot the cheap stuff. Only failure I had was with the factory mag, and once in a while I don't slam the mag in. But I can't blame that on the gun.

The ones made before Mr Cohen took the helm are fine by all accounts. The ones made after are a crap shoot with a lean toward problematic. There is definitely strong enough chance of getting a bad one that I won't gamble it.

1500 rounds? How long have you had it? The Kimbers I mention above failed in a class where we were putting 600 rounds during a 12 hour day through our pistols. We all put around 3000 rounds in 5 days through our guns and the Kimber was the only gun to choke. And it choked hard.

Why don't you think so?

Kimber sells more 1911's than any other manufacturer, if 2 or 3 disintegrate  every month in one class that would be a lot of pistols over all and i am sure a lawsuit would have been filed listing all the owners and they would be out of buisness.

Out of all my 1911's I personally like my kimber the best..

I love my Kimber.

Its a Kimber Classic that was stripped down to the frame and slide and built from the ground up by Larry Vickers. A total custom job. It can drive tacks and will feed any type of ammo without question. That would be the only way I would buy one these days.

Also have an early Clackamas Kimber they is more of a collection piece then a shooter. That was made long before Kimber started having problems. They should have stuck with their original design.

Ordering my grips today

Anyone have aluminum grips? Any issues with em? I'm looking at 2 sets

Hogue extreme aluminum (flames)

Vz grips operator 2 (g10)

I know g10's feel good but not sure on aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love my Kimber.

Its a Kimber Classic that was stripped down to the frame and slide and built from the ground up by Larry Vickers. A total custom job. It can drive tacks and will feed any type of ammo without question. That would be the only way I would buy one these days.

Also have an early Clackamas Kimber they is more of a collection piece then a shooter. That was made long before Kimber started having problems. They should have stuck with their original design.

Well thats really not a Kimber anymore now is it :). I have shot a kimber and like it. I have shot a colt Gold Cup and love it. My current 1911 is a Range Officer and I love it. 3000 rounds through it and no issues. I cant say about other guns as i dont have trigger time on the others but I have heard enough bad on the Kimbers that if I had that amount of money to spend on a 1911 it would not be the Kimber. I have also heard their Customer Service leaves a lot to be desired. I have dealt with Springfield CS and had nothing but praise for them. My next 1911 will be a custom (Les Baer is what I am leaning too) but it will be a while probably next spring as a graduation present to myself.