Cecil Harvey

Odd procedure by Maplewood PD with multiple pistol permits

So, on July 16th, I applied for 3 pistol purchase permits at Maplewood PD. Yesterday, November 20th, I got a call from the detective in charge of the permits that it was ready for pickup (never mind that the date on it was 11/14, so I don't get my full 90 days, but whatever). I will happily be using it to pick up my first pistol at a LGS today, which was already paid for.

What I found when I arrived is that though I applied for the 3, I was only given 1. I was told that because of the 1 gun a month rule, he can only give me one. He said that he has to do another background check, that doesn't go back to the state police (so it should be shorter?) for the second and third, but that process starts when he gives me the first. He said that if I commit a crime, act of domestic violence, etc. that would make me ineligible for firearms purchase in the next 30 days, that would prevent me from getting the second permit (you know, kinda like what NICS is supposed to be fore). Is this... legal? 

Second, he told me that after I purchase my gun, I'm obligated to take a copy of the receipt and filled out permit from the FFL back to him, so he has the make, model, and serial number on file. Is this, in fact, required by law? I didn't think it was. I've only owned guns since March (shotgun and .22lr rifle), so I'm new at this. 

Can't wait till I can leave this God-forsaken state.

Be insistent. Have him call the state police. They actually sent a letter to ALL police departments in New Jersey telling them that they cannot limit applicants to one permit. Hopefully someone here can post that letter for you to print out and show him. 

And that should surprise no one. It also took me 18 weeks to get the permit, which is also in violation of the law. We live in a state where the police are above the law.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it sucks. Some municipalities are getting better though. A few years ago when I first applied for my FPID, Paterson PD took 3 months to get me my stuff. Now for PPPs they usually only take around 30-35 days. Also, Final Fantasy 4 is best Final Fantasy. Great name! :good:

That's one of the worst I hav heard lately, they are obviously making things up, you cannot send a copy of the P2P to them, the seller must, and they cannot take your pink copy. As far as the reciept that is complete BS. This really does not make cops anywhere look good--

His second part: you do not bring a copy back. The seller of the weapon mails him his copy

THIS^^^^^^^

And...........you as the buyer are under no obligation to keep the pink copy of your permit , as soon as the transaction is complete you could throw the pink copy out if you wanted to.

Yeah, it sucks. Some municipalities are getting better though. A few years ago when I first applied for my FPID, Paterson PD took 3 months to get me my stuff. Now for PPPs they usually only take around 30-35 days. Also, Final Fantasy 4 is best Final Fantasy. Great name! :good:

I thought Passaic county mental health is 5 month backlog lately

So, on July 16th, I applied for 3 pistol purchase permits at Maplewood PD. Yesterday, November 20th, I got a call from the detective in charge of the permits that it was ready for pickup (never mind that the date on it was 11/14, so I don't get my full 90 days, but whatever). I will happily be using it to pick up my first pistol at a LGS today, which was already paid for.

What I found when I arrived is that though I applied for the 3, I was only given 1. I was told that because of the 1 gun a month rule, he can only give me one. He said that he has to do another background check, that doesn't go back to the state police (so it should be shorter?) for the second and third, but that process starts when he gives me the first. He said that if I commit a crime, act of domestic violence, etc. that would make me ineligible for firearms purchase in the next 30 days, that would prevent me from getting the second permit (you know, kinda like what NICS is supposed to be fore). Is this... legal? 

Second, he told me that after I purchase my gun, I'm obligated to take a copy of the receipt and filled out permit from the FFL back to him, so he has the make, model, and serial number on file. Is this, in fact, required by law? I didn't think it was. I've only owned guns since March (shotgun and .22lr rifle), so I'm new at this. 

Can't wait till I can leave this God-forsaken state.

If this is the law then my town breaks it every time I apply. It's total bullshit. I have two purchase permits sitting between my two computer speakers as I type this, waiting for Dec. 2 and Jan. 3, respectively.

But since a very close relative of mine is, let us say, very well connected with law enforcement in that town, I can totally understand. Completely, totally.