maxxod

SKS Tapco Adjustable T6 Intrafuse stock

Recently chopped and crowned the barrel on my Chicom SKS...removed the bayonet log and FSB. The barrel is now 17.5 inches from the breach to the muzzle. Installed the full Tapco Intafuse kit with their handgrip, gas tube, piston and was able to locate factory Tapco 20 round fixed magazine that are pinned to 10 rounds.... Also installed the Murray's improved firing pin.....I believe I'm 922 compliant since the foreign parts count is currently 10. I'm unclear if I have to pin the stock to be Jersey legal....I don't believe it needs to be since the mag is fixed, but I just want to be sure....can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

my understanding is that AW laws only apply to guns with a detachable mag that are semi auto..

important to note that SKS with detachable mag in itself is illegal as well..  so it is important that it has a fixed mag..

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

SKS with detachable magazine type

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This means that if it is a semi-automatic rifle and has a detachable magazine it can have ONE of the following features and still be legal, but if it has two or more, then it would not be legal.

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
(5) A grenade launcher

I don't believe the firing pin or pistol grip for a chicom counts for 922r. I got the trigger kit from Murrays with the USA hammer, sear and trigger that count for 922r as well as ATI stock and forearm and a USA piston so I have mine down to 8. I am under the impression that folding/collapsable and bayo is ok once 922 compliant and fixed mag but it just screams no go when you look at it so I may just pin the stock to be safe.

922r.jpg

Do you really need to change all those parts to become compliant? I don't even care about the adjustable stock. I want to remove the front sight and bayonet, cut it down and put it in the tapco stock. Where can I find that fixed mag?

I searched for a loooong time for that mag, finally found a few for sale on gunbroker and snapped them up. Tapco, discontinued them a while ago and they rarely pop up for sale. Maybe Tapco still has some NOS, you might want to try contacting them. I do t know the legalities of this, but it is possible to take any Tapco Intrafuse duckbill mag for the SKS and make it fixed.....here is a link to a YouTube video of a guy who did just that: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gnGZ4FlA20

Man - that mag looks so removable... You may get beef from fuddy-type RO's...

Man - that mag looks so removable... You may get beef from fuddy-type RO's...

Yeah it does look removable, but it's not going anywhere unless the trigger group is removed and Tapco was nice enough to mark it FIXED 10 rd on the bottom of the mag. Regardless, I have copies of the receipts for all of the US parts in my rifle bag and the compliance parts list in case I'm ever hassled. Thanks for the comments guys....I'll have more pics after it gets dura coated.

I don't understand the compliant part. What change in the rifle made it need to be 922 compliant. Can you please explain further?

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

it is when you add any "unsporting feature" to the rifle, not any modification at all. A pistol grip, forward grip, 10+ round mag, and a number of other features are considered unsporting.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26413-922-compliance-work-in-progress

For anyone else that got bit by this cool build. I found fixed 10 round mags for $22. Midway has them. I have called three times to make sure they will be fixed. Murray firing pin is on the way. I'm gonna look for the gas piston and trigger kit. I already had a tapco stock laying around. With all those parts installed I should be compliant right?

NJbanshee, that's a great find at Midway!.....I would suggest that you install the Murray's firing pin prior to installing the magazine, because the only way to empty the mag is to cycle the action, which can be quite dangerous with a stock SKS, due to the tendency of the floating firing pin to stick and possibly discharge a round.....the Murray's pin fixes this issue by adding the return spring that was part of the original Russian design. Also pick up a half round metal file, if you don't have one, and 220 grit sandpaper, you will need it for the new muzzle and the Tapco gas tube does not have the relief at the top to allow the lever to lock it down. You will need to file a bit, test fit it, file some more, test fit again.....it's a pain in the ass, but this method will assure a tight fit...my gas tube has no slop at all...when I chopped the barrel, I wrapped the barrel with green painters tape, since sometimes hacksaw blades like to skip, used a small hose clamp as the left side guide and the front sight block on the right side, slow even strokes, spraying WD40 or 4 in 1 oil on the blade as I sawed......I used this Midway Larry Potterfield video method to lap /crown the muzzle http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

Used a 1/4 inch brass screw and Permatex valve grinding compound, available at any auto parts store, and it turned out great. Another little tip, the front sight block for a Highpoint 995ts will fit the barrel after you cut it. The Highpont block attaches with set screws, I have one on order with them right now. They will send you one for free if you tell the yours is broken, but I did not want to take advantage of them, since they offer great customer service to owners of their firearms with no questions asked policies......it's only 12 bucks.....If you have any other questions, post em here and I'll try to help you out. Good luck!

I used the Tapco gas tube, piston, hand guard, stock, and magazine to get the imported parts count down to 10. The firing pin does not count toward 922r compliance since it is not a regulated part, but Ida very important safety feature when performing a build like this. You could use this check list for compliance confirmation:

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

I got the mag from midway, and it wasn't fixed. I sent it right back. Was i in possession of an illegal mag? On a positive note, I did find a fixed mag and we are trying this again. It was a couple bucks more, but no biggy. I got the Murray firing also. I'm looking for the piston. Then I should be compliant right?

is there a big price difference between doing this to an sks and converting a saiga? I feel like they may come out to the same price, but with the sks you can always just drop it back in the old stock and its like you have 1.5 guns for the price of one.  Nice build  you did there

I got the mag from midway, and it wasn't fixed. I sent it right back. Was i in possession of an illegal mag? On a positive note, I did find a fixed mag and we are trying this again. It was a couple bucks more, but no biggy. I got the Murray firing also. I'm looking for the piston. Then I should be compliant right?[/

I believe that mag was only illegal if it was put in the rifle....don't know if this is a gray area or not....I would have gotten rid of it immediately too, because you actually own the rifle....you will need the Tapco hand guard and gas tube to be compliant....it is sold as a separate compliance part, it is listed on their website...if you only swap the hand guard, you will be at 11 foreign parts, which is not 922r compliant....

is there a big price difference between doing this to an sks and converting a saiga? I feel like they may come out to the same price, but with the sks you can always just drop it back in the old stock and its like you have 1.5 guns for the price of one.  Nice build  you did there

I believe the SKS stock swap is much easier than a Saiga conversion, but then again, I've never converted a Saiga.....the SKS platform is really simple and it is easy to swap stocks....one take down pin in the receiver cover, will allow you to remove the bolt and carrier....the detent behind the trigger housing will remove the trigger group and the magazine and the barrel and receiver pop right out...simple, heavy duty design....I've stripped it down so many times, I could probably do it with my eyes shut....Thanks for compliment on the build....I'll have more pics to post soon....I modified the feed lips on the mag to work smoothly with the stripper clips.....and added a front sight block

Recently chopped and crowned the barrel on my Chicom SKS...removed the bayonet log and FSB. The barrel is now 17.5 inches from the breach to the muzzle. Installed the full Tapco Intafuse kit with their handgrip, gas tube, piston and was able to locate factory Tapco 20 round fixed magazine that are pinned to 10 rounds.... Also installed the Murray's improved firing pin.....I believe I'm 922 compliant since the foreign parts count is currently 10. I'm unclear if I have to pin the stock to be Jersey legal....I don't believe it needs to be since the mag is fixed, but I just want to be sure....can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Do you find any accuracy issues now with the barrel shorten? I’m am thinking about doing my own as well.