SW99

The traveling to Florida question...

The auto train is no good for me. Id have to drive to DC then get on it and it doesn't leave me at all close to where i need to be in FL. Plus its expensive. 

Sadly, I regret to advise that the Auto Train is no longer good for me, either. :(  After checking with the Auto Train staff, I confirmed that firearms are not permitted on board the Auto Train under any circumstances, not even packed within secure, anchored, locked cases inside the car. 

Apparently, the Amtrak "firearms carriage" policy applies only to trains that have a "baggage car."  Examples of those that don't would be the Auto Train, Acela, and most of the Northeast Regional Trains. To transport firearms legally with Amtrak, one has to declare that intent at least 24 hours prior to departure. Upon arrival at the station, one has to check the firearms in separately from other luggage, and I assume they are stored separately (perhaps in a safe) in the baggage car, or they are somehow watched from within the baggage car. Otherwise, I don't know what the difference would be between that and carrying the firearms in secure locked cases in your car (which no one has access to while enroute).

Unless/until that policy changes, I will no longer be traveling on the Auto Train, and will not encourage other firearms owners to do so. I, therefore, have no other reason to travel on Amtrak, anyway. I had one trip  scheduled shortly, and I have cancelled that trip at a $100.00 penalty cost to me. I'll be driving all the way, instead.

Bummer.... :mad:

Why not just ignore their rules? Take your guns anyway. It is not like you will be breaking any laws. Fat chance of them finding them either. Just a suggestion.

If the Amtrak Police search dog at the Lorton Station "hits" on your car... you are in for a very bad day.... 

Definitely the "shake and bake" inspection for you.... If they find them, you could face legal action from Amtrak if not federal charges.

What charge?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

I not certain of any specific "charges," but I do note Amtrak's general policy and terms of carriage as follows:

General Terms of Transportation

Which states, in summary, that carriage is governed by the laws of the District of Columbia and applicable federal laws/regulations. I'd imagine also that since the Auto Train has end termini the States of Virginia and Florida, those states' laws may also play a role. Again, I don't know of anything specifically, and it may turn out that the most severe thing that could happen is that the passenger is denied carriage and forfeits their fare money, but I would not want to risk being subject to any law/regulation violations they *think* might apply. I'll be happy to do the research for you, if you like.

Furthermore, there is the specific policy regarding firearms on Amtrak (derived from  the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2010, section 159):]

Firearms on board Amtrak Trains

Anyway, there may or may not be "criminal" laws involved, but I'm sure there would be numerous civil penalties and a denial of carriage if you were caught with firearms on board the Auto Train. Perhaps a guest spot on the TSA's "no transport" list as well. 

Not worth the risk, IMHO.