Rifleman1

Quandry - Which .308 to buy?

I am shopping for a .308 and am considering 3 models. Any insight you guys can give to help the decision making would be welcome.

S&W M&P10 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_817047_-1_785153_757785_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Remington R-25 http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx

FNAR Heavy http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/autoloading-rifles/fnar-heavy/

I am looking for an longer range rifle for the collection that is moderately priced (say $1,000 - 1,600 without scope) and will give the best accuracy out to say 1,000 yards, not too heavy, capacity for 10 or 15 rounds, perhaps capable for suppressor after moving to PA, etc.

Anybody tried or own any of these that can give me some feedback?

sniper.gif

honestly, I'd get a lr 308b then modify as you want.  These rifles get very good reviews for accuracy, I had one that I bought off a member here and with handloads it was printing .4-.6 very consistently. 

I would stay away from the FN as they are hard to strip down and customize.

Your only interested in semi-autos right? Out of those listed I would go with the remington.

In my opinion with AR-10 styles you will have to pay more for accuracy and reliability than with an M14 style rifle like an M1A.

I would go M1a or M1a NM.

I have a DPMS 308 that puts holes touching holes at 100.... 1,000 yards out of a gun like that is going to really take a shooter... 

I think that range is more bolt gun neighborhood... 

I checked out a R-25 this morning it to has a smooth forearm. No place to hang a bipod. Might need gloves to hang on to it. Weighed in about 8.5 lbs with a Nikon 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC scope. So... I may have to go up a grand to get out to 1,000 yards plus some significant optics. I see the DPMS 308 starts out at 11.25 lbs. Did you opt for a smooth forearm on the DPMS 308 or a quad rail? What do you see as the typical range for the DPMS 308? 

Out of your list, the R25.

I agree with two posts above about the LR308, amazing accuracy for the price. Spend your extra $ on the optics.

The other I completely agree on is the 700. If you ever are really thinking about going out past 600, you can't go wrong with the 700.

Thanks.

If you want to be able to make it to 1000 don't bother with any m1a's with shorter barrels. The 22" is best for accuracy, the 18" is a close second, but the 16" has mixed reviews at distance. I would say the standard is good or the NM. The supermatch is overkill and the loaded you might as well get a NM.

LRB Arms is close by and makes a better rifle than springfield but you pay for it.

Your only interested in semi-autos right? Out of those listed I would go with the remington.

In my opinion with AR-10 styles you will have to pay more for accuracy and reliability than with an M14 style rifle like an M1A.

I would go M1a or M1a NM.

Right. The AR-10's I've seen so far list about $1,600 or so but sell around $1,200 - 1,400.