Sign in to follow this  
MidwestPX

Keep your eyes open (not knockout game but related)

This was posted on another forum I sponsor and wanted to share here:

Hello folks, been awhile since I have been here. Just got to tell someone about the incident that lead to my destruction. 

I was leaving a friends house at 11:30 on Friday night when someone grabbed my hair from behind and smashed my face into his knee. Then kicked my teeth in and left me on the sidewalk bleeding and semi-conscious. They (3 of them) stole my wallet, cellphone, keys, and my truck. I crawled to 3 doors before someone would call 911. Passed out on their porch and woke up with 30 stitches in and outside my mouth missing 3 front teeth.
After some recovery and more surgery, my truck was recovered 80 miles from Santa Clara with $6700.00 damage. All my tools and even the truck box were gone. 
I am a carpenter and haven't been able to work without tools. I had to give almost everything away on craigslist and put what I could in storage. My guns are in pawn and am now homeless. In 2 weeks I will probably lose them too...along with my storage unit. No one wants to hire a homeless carpenter with no tools. 
Don't let this happen to you. Watch your back! Even if I was carrying, I wouldn't have had time to draw. take care all.

Remember to keep your eyes open and pay attention to all three hundred and sixty degrees.  Situational awareness is your first line of defense, your gun is your last.

The forum where this story was posted set up a donation link and the forum members raise over $2K in donations in the first 24 hours and they're taking up tool collections from members to help the victim.  It's always heart warming to see such generosity, especially in a world where negative news is the first to be promoted.

This is the thread where the OP reported the assault: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=855768

There are at least three threads on CGN about this and I haven't had a chance to stay on top of it all.  I wasn't posting to ask people to donate.  Even if the story isn't real, it serves as an excellent reminder for why I posted: keep your eyes open and always be processing your surroundings.

Even if the story isn't real, it serves as an excellent reminder for why I posted: keep your eyes open and always be processing your surroundings.

Agreed. I commented only because this is the time of year some unscrupulous people look to take advantage of the good will of others. 'Tis the season! lol

I screwed up today. Some dude was walking quickly behind me on a sidewalk crossing in front of parked cars while leaving a storefront. So I kept looking over my shoulder and speeding up. And he matched speed. This dude was within 6 feet of me. So I turned out towards the street between cars.

This was over the course of only about 30 feet, but still.

This was not a sketchy looking dude. If he was I would have handled it differently and sooner. But I don't like people tightly tailing me, and by the time it seemed like it might be deliberate it might have been too late for me making a simple turn. You don't win by looking over your shoulder when somebody is on you.

We all consider looking paranoid or startling people in public with our actions. But, with this guy on my ass, changing direction was much too late. I should have done a 180 and walked towards him so I didn't have my back to him. It would have required 5 seconds and not seemed nearly as sketchy as me peeking over my shoulder, speeding up, and then changing direction.

Turned out he wanted to compliment me on my carry.

i tell everyone i know to keep their head on the swivel ALL The time. i've told them to scope out parking lots and surrounding areas as they pull in, and then repeat again once parked, BEFORE unlocking/exiting their vehicle. once out, just keep looking around themselves for anything at all that looks out of place.

I posted my failure today as a contribution for discussion on this topic. "Keeping your head on a swivel" and "situational awareness" mean nothing if you do not posture yourself to prevail before challenges are presented.

"knockout game" was mentioned here in passing. Keeping your head on a swivel and being situationally aware is not enough without a plan to respond and taking action. And not just pulling a gun, or a knife or pepper spray. Because you normally can't do that when people are just walking around you. And about to hit you/shoot you/stab you in one second, and they don't have the decency to make that absolutely clear. Action ALWAYS beats reaction when decisive, unless you are facing someone in a stance and waiting to block a punch. Looking over your shoulder is worthless unless you are going to act on what you see before a threat is even evident.

while i agree there should be a plan to deal with them in place.......there are some people that are unable to do much in the way of defensive maneuvers that may require quick or sudden movements. i have many customers, and a few family members that would be totally unable to respond to the threat..at least here in pfrnj where they're not allowed to carry the one tool that would give them a chance. i figure that by them making it painfully obvious that they are aware of their surroundings, that these types of scumballs will go look for another victim. they may be lowlifes, but they're not stupid. they want easy/fast. alert people do not make for easy/fast victims in most cases.

they may be lowlifes, but they're not stupid. they want easy/fast. alert people do not make for easy/fast victims in most cases.

It's like the bear joke. I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you. Look like you will be work, and it will go a long way. It's even better to BE hard work, but something beats nothing. 

Thats a joke?

Just in case you're the last guy who hasn't heard it:

BEAR ON A RAMPAGE
PreviousNext

Two campers were hiking in the forest when all of a sudden a bear jumps out of a bush and starts chasing them. Both campers start running for their lives, when one of them stops and starts to put on his running shoes.

His partner says, "What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear!"

His friend replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you!"

Just in case you're the last guy who hasn't heard it:

BEAR ON A RAMPAGE

PreviousNext

Two campers were hiking in the forest when all of a sudden a bear jumps out of a bush and starts chasing them. Both campers start running for their lives, when one of them stops and starts to put on his running shoes.

His partner says, "What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear!"

His friend replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you!"

Lol I was being facetious.