SgtToadette

What are your top 5 AR mods/accesories?

I'm curious what you guys feel like you need on your AR15s. There's such a plethora of modifications and accessories that make keeping things purpose driven difficult. I also think it'd be cool to get a look at what other people consider necessary and what others consider optional.

I'll throw out my 5 to start:

1.) Optic (Micro T1)

2.) Light (WML HSP)

3.) Handstop (Noveske)

4.) Ambi Fire Selector (Battle Arms Dev.)

5.) Ambi Charging Handle (Rainier Arms)

1- JP silent spring. Reduces recoil and eliminates the god awful sproooiing noise of a normal ar.

2- A good trigger. Pick your poison, geissele, timney, etc

3- A good stock. I like VLTOR but there are other good options out there depending on your preferences.

4- A quality optic. Will vary depending on what you want to do with it. Aimpoint is my go to red dot company, currently looking at a vortex razor hd gen 2 or similar 1-6 scope for longer distances.

5- Good ammo.

I can understand most of these. But why #4?

Constant single handle manipulation can bend it up pretty good making it inoperable. I quickly switched over to the bcm gunfighter handles which I really liked. I now use the raptor ambi handles.

If the gun is mostly a range gun a GI handle is more than adequate. If you put more milage on your gun I'd go with a bcm or raptor.

ETA: keep in mind that these lists will vary greatly depending in the "lister's" intended use. A national match shooter will have a veeeery different list of mods than a 3 times a year plinker. A 3 gun competitor will have different criteria than someone planning to use the rifle for true defensive/social use.

While I may also use them for plinking, training, or competitions, their primary intended use is work related and as such my ARs are all set up for social occasions.

Assuming I am starting with a quality rifle with quality mags my list follows, in order of importance:

1) sling

2) white light

3) optic - Aimpoint

I do have other upgrades on my rifles: BCM Gunfighter charging handles and pistol grips, vertical grips/handstops, upgraded stocks, Geissels triggers, etc... But the above three are the only mandatory accessories, in my opinion, for my use.

Everything else is gravy

Edited by High Exposure

I've considering buying one. I've heard nothing but good things, though I've heard that it's simply cheaper to just modify your buffer weight. Do you think it's worth the price?

YES

It reduces recoil to near nothing and eliminates the annoying sound. You also don't need to use the buffer stop which is a nominal advantage.

I have them in 5 of 6 ars, all but my retro colt ar. I wouldnt waste that much $ if they didnt work.

ETA: keep in mind that these lists will vary greatly depending in the "lister's" intended use. A national match shooter will have a veeeery different list of mods than a 3 times a year plinker. A 3 gun competitor will have different criteria than someone planning to use the rifle for true defensive/social use.

That's the magic I was hoping for when I started the topic. I like seeing the different circles of shooters sharing information about what works for them. It gets my juices flowing and I start exploring new gear ventures. Sometimes I find myself getting so absorbed into one area of a rifle or other platform that I miss the big picture.

YES

It reduces recoil to near nothing and eliminates the annoying sound. You also don't need to use the buffer stop which is a nominal advantage.

I have them in 5 of 6 ars, all but my retro colt ar. I wouldnt waste that much $ if they didnt work.

Now I don't like you. I'm going to have to buy one. ;)

YES

I gotta try it one day at the range.  If it does what you say and what the write ups say, I may need to drop some coin outfitting my rifles.....damn you..................

I gotta try it one day at the range. If it does what you say and what the write ups say, I may need to drop some coin outfitting my rifles.....damn you..................

I think you shot the Noveske with it but I may be mistaken. I will bring one next range trip.

I've started to question too large of a latch on the charging handle --  I have a BCM mod 4 -- the medium latch on a dedicated .22 rimfire AR

Recently, I carried this AR for a day in the woods up in NH, plinking targets of opportunity with my son who had his trusty 452 scout

I carried with a single point sling, rifle slug either in front of me or to my right side --

that damn medium latch got caught on everything --  Really was a pain and I found myself  checking my charging handle constantly 

Maybe it just takes getting used to,  Unfortunately My ARs don't get out to socialize much so I really don't have much experience with a slung rifle but this issue stuck out immediately

I use the medium CH as well, and I can guarantee that you are looking at changing the wrong part. Ditch the single point sling, and run a quick adjust 2 point like a BFG VCAS (my preferred sling) or a VTAC. Keep the CH.

Other than having the ability to quickly switch shoulders - which is really debatable if that is a necessary or important feature, but that is a topic for a nother thread - single points do very little well. To put it bluntly, single point slings suck.

A quick adjust 2 point also let's you switch shoulders quickly and most importantly, it does the primary job a sling is used for better than a single point sling, and that is the hands free carrying of a rifle.

My single point does have the ability to be a 2 point sling --  I'll post the model tomorrow -- I don't know it offhand -- I would have to put another mounting point

I don't carry the rifle enough to know this stuff -- Some of you do this everyday -- thanks for the input

Now maybe we've helped the OP with an accessory --  2 point sling mounts

If your CH is hanging up on your gear when you are hands free, roll the rifle 180 degrees clockwise. The sling traps the rifle better making it more secure and it places the CH outboard from your kit.

I have a ambi CH but Ive found doing this does change the position if the latch and doesn't catch. Or I can just cinch it up a little tighter on my chest. It would only catch on one of my mags if I just let it hang without adjustment.

My single point does have the ability to be a 2 point sling -- I'll post the model tomorrow -- I don't know it offhand -- I would have to put another mounting point

I don't carry the rifle enough to know this stuff -- Some of you do this everyday -- thanks for the input

Now maybe we've helped the OP with an accessory -- 2 point sling mounts

Is a magpul? I tried those for a while. Wasnt a bad sling but I think the vtac I bought well worth the upgrade cost. If you REALLY want the ability to go to 1 pt mode IWC makes a triglide adapter that you can use with any qd attachment point. I have one on my sling "just in case" but have never used it.

While I may also use them for plinking, training, or competitions, their primary intended use is work related and as such my ARs are all set up for social occasions.

Assuming I am starting with a quality rifle with quality mags my list follows, in order of importance:

1) sling

2) white light

3) optic - Aimpoint

I do have other upgrades on my rifles: BCM Gunfighter charging handles and pistol grips, vertical grips/handstops, upgraded stocks, Geissels triggers, etc... But the above three are the only mandatory accessories, in my opinion, for my use.

Everything else is gravy

Pretty much this.

These are the features I've decided are important to me. YMMV.

Free floated handguard

Iron sights, flip up.

Simple low power optic, probably a red dot.

Better than average barrel.

Better than average BCG.

Basically going for a practical solution for cost vs accuracy and reliability without breaking the bank.