maintenanceguy

Buying Food on Sale

Here's a tip that works for prepping and for anyone who is budget minded while shopping for groceries.

Most stores place the same items on sale several times a year.  In fact, these items often go on sale on a regular, repeating schedule every 6 to 10 weeks.   When you see one item on sale, buy enough to get you through to the next time it is on sale.  We have done this for years with staple items.   We typically have two dozen jars of spaghetti sauce, 5 boxes of cereal, and lots of other items in bulk because we bought enough to get us from one sale to the next sale.

If you don't do bulk wholesalers like BJ's, Costco, or Sam's Club, you can ask your local store to order you a case or two of things on sale. I do it for people all the time, and I do it for my self. Most of the time the store will do it no problem just to keep you coming back, and happy. Only downside is that you have to wait for their truck to deliver it, so its best to get them before the next ad week starts. 

my fiance coupons.. and it has cut our bill by almost %50... when we catch a sale we buy multiple and stock up... we have like 30 boxes of pasta... we also do a lot of shopping at target because they give us %5 off to use the target card.. which we pay off every month.. we have gotten multiple items for free.. 

there is also a thing she does online that puts money in her paypal account for buying certain things.. 

I discovered that if I go to Shoprite after 8pm any meat with a sell by date of that day can be had for more than 50% off. Not a prep, more of an FYI.

We do this at our local food store. Get amazing cuts of meat for super cheap to cook dinner. We eat really late so it works out.

Haven't posted in a while. But this thread caught my eye. It's been a really tough year financially for me, so I have been doing a lot of. couponing. After seeing all the money I save, I will never go back to just walking into the store again without them. I am fortunate enough, to have 4 major supermarkets around me. So my Sunday morning ritual is go get the sunday newspaper. (If you ask, sometimes they have extra circulars). Cut out all the coupons and match them up to the weekly ads. (Get a small accordion organizer).. You would be AMAZED of how much you really do save, if you shop smart. 

I dont have a lot of freezer space. So when I take advantage of meat sales, I make a lot of my own meals, and then can them. Chili's, stews, soups, etc... It takes work, but I have amassed a real nice selection of foods ready to eat. And what is best about it, I know what went into it. In a SHTF scenario, in most cases, I just need a pot and fire, and I will have good wholesome meals. On a everyday life scenario. Come home, don't feel like cooking, Just open up one of my jars, and instant meal.

Dont think of this as your grandmothers canning. To can meats, you need a pressure canner. And take the time to learn the proper methods. But I have to say, I have saved thousands in taking advantage of sales.

921.jpg

This.....BUT sometimes couponing is for things you might not use or don't need but u buy because of the coupon....

Extreme couponing is an art in and of itself.....

When we get an abundance of stuff that we do not use or need we give it away.... So it's not too bad... There was an instance where we ended up with like 75 cans of shaving cream that we were paid to take... We gave a lot of it away....