Dextersmom

Telescope for star gazing

Does anyone have or know a decent telescope for star gazing in the backyard. Hoping to spend less than $250 on it for a Christmas Gift for my wife. Thank you in advance for any recommendations! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my own head

This is what I have. I like it so far although there is alot of light pollution where I live now. I have gotten excellent views of Saturn and it rings, Mars, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune. The moon looks amazing, if there was anyone walking around up there I could probably see them picking their nose.

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Best-Telescopes-for-Comets/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/475/p/102005.uts

That one is above the price range you mentioned but they have smaller ones and many other styles. Excellent customer service and cheap if not free shipping. You can call them up and they will make a recommendation for you after asking some questions about what you want to be able to see and what your location is. They are very knowledgeable and will probably have a Black Friday sale.

It's pretty big. An 8 inch diameter. Stands about 52" and weighs a little over 40lbs. You can get a 6" for $300 and a 4.5" for $249. Best to give them a call and talk over your options. I think they are on the west coast. 800-447-1001 They were helpful and I am very happy with what I got. It came with a computer program that gives you a real time view of the sky over your location so you can navigate the sky and know where and when to look for what you want to see.

I'm not much help, I know a few basics about telescopes from experience with a few inexpensive models as well as camera lenses...  Typically, the larger the diameter of the lens, the better the light gathering capabilities will be, and the more expensive the telescope will be. 

The biggest thing with cheap telescopes is that most of them include a super cheap set of tripod legs, which will make your viewing a living hell, and will frustrate you to no end.  If you get a set of cheap legs with the telescope, check if it uses a 1/4"-20 thread, or a 3/8" thread, as these are standards for camera tripods, and you can likely get a used heavy duty tripod at a yard sale for dirt cheap.  Get the biggest, heaviest tripod you can find for cheap...old Bogen/Manfrotto tripods are tanks. 

Meade is/was? a good brand...not sure about their current inexpensive models. 

Last thing...some models feature a tracking feature, which makes it a lot easier than constantly re-adjusting the telescope.  With my camera and a lens at 1120+mm, you can actually watch the moon quickly move through the viewfinder.  I'd love to have a tracking mount for my camera for some kinds of shots I've done and want to do in the future...

We had a 6" that we spent 650 on 25 years ago.  It was great for terrestrial viewing.  We could count the light bulbs on the Christmas tree on the roof of St. Peter's Hospital 2 miles away.

But without automatic tracking, looking at anything in the sky at any real magnification was a pain in the tush. You were looking at such a small piece of the sky that things would zip across the field of view as the earth rotated.  To look at the rings of Saturn, I would have to continuously rotate both knobs to chase the thing I was looking at and if I stepped back to let my wife see, it was already out of view and she would have to start searching for it again.

After a few evenings of star gazing,we just gave up.

Thanks everyone for your input! Wasn't looking to spend a lot until I knew she would really use it. But your info helps a lot when I go to the store! I can always upgrade if her interest peaks! Happy thanksgiving!!

Sent from my own head