Sign in to follow this  
happycamper

Seeking Trap and O/U shotgun advise

I have been shooting trap for the last 6 month (about 75 rounds per week).

With my Winchester pump action field gun, my average is around 17-18 per 25 rounds.

I am thinking about getting an over and under target shotgun but I cannot afford a brand new Browning.

An used and affordable Browning is not easy to find. I am considering a few cheaper options: Mossberg Silver Reserve II, Stoeger (forget the model) and CZ Redhead. I saw the Mossberg and Stoeger and they fit me well. CZ is difficult to find and I don't know if it fits me.

Should I stay with my field gun until I get better average?

Or go for one of the cheaper options? If so, which one will you recommend?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Stoegers are hit or miss, Mine is fine but alot of other folks have fireing pin issues. My buddy got a Condor Competition and has nothing but problems has sent it back for warranty work twice in the past 6 months.

You buy what you pay for so cheaper is not always good.

The new Ruger Red Labels are nice.

CZ is quality firearm.

Mossbergs have had fireing pin issues also, hit or miss

I have seen CZ's local at a few shops

I found a used (though looked brand new) Browning 525 with an awesome recoil system, but it wasn't cheap. I usually shoot 20 - 23 with it.

I have also used my wifes 870 Rem and have shot the same!

My buddy bought a Beretta semi with a built-in recoil system, no middle bead, and I shoot just as well with it, plus it was only $1500.

What I have found, it isn't the gun, it's the shooter!

The "real" Trap guns do make an average shooter better, which is why I plan on getting one at some point. They are built on an O/U gun, but the upper barrel is replaced by a tall rib. With these guns you don't have to cover the target like a field gun. Trap is always rising, unlike Sporting Clays which can be doing anything and everything.

You may want to consider a Beretta 686 SP1, you should be able to find one for under $2k

Make sure you get  competition gun, not a field gun, comp guns usually have 2 beads, are heavier (less recoil). Also comp guns will not have the safety go on automatically.

A A400 semi auto is also a very good gun, but not cheap. Look around for a Beretta AL391, which is a great comp semi auto gun.

Get a good gun, when shooting clays, you tend to shoot a lot 100 or so shots each time. The gun needs to take a lot of abuse. Could shoot 5000rounds per year

Good luck

IMHO I shot skeet with a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel for years.  

O/U shotguns are relatively new to the clay world- at least in America.  If you had gone out to the trap ranges 30 years ago you would have seen plenty of Ithaca pumps and Remington 870's.

You would improve your game more by putting the $1000 toward shells and range time than if you bought a $1,000 used Beretta - but you would look exceptionally cool when you missed.  The question is what do you want more?

Thank you for all the advice and comments.

I do believe in improving the technique is more important. I just wonder if it is a good idea to always practice with a field gun. Will I develop some bad technique with it? In my trap range, almost all good shooters use O/U. Only newbies like me use pump or semi.

Could you tell me which shops have CZ?

I checked out Griffen & Howe website. They have a lot of nice O/U but most of them are out of my price range.

I did not take any lessons. I actually shot over 20 in the beginning. However, my average went down significantly and I was very inconsistent after shooting for a couple of weeks. Now, it is a bit more consistent at around 17-18. At one point, I was confused with shooting with 1 eye or 2 eyes open. I shoot rifle and handgun and used to aim with the dominant eye only. I used to focus on the front sight and to squeeze the trigger. My club has quite a few experienced shooters and they did give me a lot of help/advice.

Beretta silver pigeon seems to be very nice. I have not had a chance to do any research on it and have not seen anyone in my range use it yet. I will check it out.

I just pick up this hobby and 75-100 rounds per week is the best I can do at this moment. Hopefully I can have more time to bust clay pigeons in the future.

Honestly your average may have gone down because it is cold - it could be as simple as cold hands or you are using a different sight picture because you are wearing a heavier jacket than you did just a few weeks ago.

I think it's a poor carpenter who blames his tool.  I doubt that you will get into any bad habits.  If you gave Kim Rhode a Mossberg 500, she could still probably hit more than an average shooter with a O/U.

I didn't like the Silver Pigeon, had a weird recoil, its also close around $2k . There is also the new Ruger Red Label for around $1k, its kind of light in weight.

Lou's in Raritan and Efingers in Boundbrook had some models not sure which ones tho. I think Heritage had some in Rahway. They are not that uncommon.

Cheyanne Mtn had some too.

I shoot a Browning Citori Lightning, I shoot 100-200 a week. It has a great weight and feel for me. Folks who have shot it @ the clay shoots like it.

Check out the different models http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/over-under/

I liked the Redhead Target and Redhead Deluxe.

I've shot my friend's 1100 Trap Special and thought that was a nice, soft shooting gun with good weight to dampen recoil if you are a fan of its clubby forend. It threw some nice patterns too. The single sighting plane is what's preferable, which is why many gravitate to an O/U, pump, or semi-auto with a vent-rib for trap. I also liked using a Browning BT99 for trap. If I couldn't afford an O/U now but wanted to shoot trap, I would look around for a quality gas-auto. If you are dead-set to get an over & under, look around for a good used one. You can't go wrong with a Browning (Citori) or Beretta. Or one of the Browning clones like a Winchester 101. Charles Daly imported Miroku's (same maker of the Citori) many years ago and they are great guns if you can find them.

The first "double's" of the day were side by side shotguns. Developed primarily as a hunting arm, they were also used for both trap and skeet competitions, as well as live pigeon shoots. Pigeon-guns had the dubious distinction of having no external tang safety. Trap's origin goes back to England in the mid-1700's. Trap was introduced into the U.S. by the late 1800's. Skeet is pure American in origin and was introduced in 1926 in the state of MA.

Every quality American double maker made a SxS ideally suited for trap & skeet games long before an over & under, pump or semi-auto came on the scene. An Iver Johnson Skeeter, a Parker skeet grade with a Miller trigger or a Winchester M21 skeet grade were items that were prized and coveted. The demise of quality American SxS double's began after the Depression and companies disappeared by the start of the Second World War. Browning's famed Superposed hit the American market in 1930, Remington's fabled Model 32 was introduced in 1932 on the heels of the Superposed's fame. A quality pump action like a Winchester Model 12, known for its reputation on both the skeet and trap field, cost half what a Superposed was going for at the time. Not everyone could afford an O/U then either. There are still lots of trap and skeet grade M12's floating around today, but they are not cheap anymore.  By post-WWII, the over & under came into its own and took over the shooting sports. 870's and M12's could still be found on the trap fields, but the O/U was already firmly planted on the skeet scene. Skeet's use of the 12, 20, 28 gauges and the .410 bore in regulation events also ruled out certain guns. Trap is a 12 gauge game.

BTW - Why do you need an O/U to shoot trap? Unless you are shooting doubles, where two chokes would benefit you with multiple presentations, a single-shot, single-barreled gun would suit you fine for trap.

Happycamper, I have an O/U for sale if your interested. I just haven't had the chance to make an ad for it yet. I think it may work well for you as it would be a good step up from your pump but without an expensive price tag. At least if you really get into it then you can move up to something better. It's in very good condition with about 200 shells through it. PM me if your interested.