Combat Auto

West Virginia - Morgantown

I am facing the facts that with Mr Christie down to his last 4 years (at most), we will be more screwed then ever once a Dem's becomes governor. Also, as I get older, I want the right to carry - it becomes more important with age. So, I am working on a 4 year plan to get the heck out of NJ (here's to Vlad G.'s inspiration!). I am looking at West Virginia which is a Shall Issue state.

Anyone familiar with the Morgantown WV area? (It is just south of the PA border and due south of Pittsburg). Good or bad impressions?

Funny you mention it. I was thinking of looking in WV this summer myself. I'm about 8 years out from retirement. I'm looking to be as close to the eastern part as I can get.

Looking for something on or near a lake.Looking for a small town but not to be grizzle AdamsLOL

But I have not a clue where to look. Thinking of vvisiting the state this summer.

I've been to WV a few times for matches at Peacemaker. It is a beautiful part of the country but VERY poor. Make sure you know what you are going to do for a living because the options are not awesome.

I should be retired by then...If not, I am blessed to be able to Virtual-Office...I get the "low-income" part of the state...Morgantown suppose to be a "jewel" of civilization in the crown of the beautifull WV landscape/geographpy...Ideally, I'd like to pick up a piece of property outside town where I might set-up a 50 yard pistol range (or maybe even 100 yard mini-rifle range if real-estate is cheep enought).

You may be able to virtual office or telecommute, but a lot of WV does not have decent connectivity. It's also a bad meth area / drug abuse area. That said, I like the Martinsburg / Charlestown area a lot.

Two weeks ago, I spent a week working in Harpers Ferry, 5 miles from Charlestown and about 15 miles from Martinsburg. Nice area. Rural enough, beautiful Shenandoah Valley scenery, and Charlestown has anything you need.

What's also nice is that while it's technically in West Virginia, you're actually basically (geographically) in Maryland, and not far at all from Pennsylvania. So by no means are you in the middle of nowhere.

What's also nice is that while it's technically in West Virginia, you're actually basically (geographically) in Maryland, and not far at all from Pennsylvania. So by no means are you in the middle of nowhere.

10 minutes to MD, 18 minutes to PA.  Close to Harrisburg and a bunch of other good-sized cities.

I love WV. Spent a lot of time there for a few years, most of it in the Fayetteville/Summersville/Beckley area but some around Morgantown as well. Keep on mind Morgantown is a College Town, has a youngish scene.

You will like it there. Bless your heart!

I've been visiting Fayetteville/Summersville for about 12-13 years now as well.  What took you there?  For me it was/is rock climbing at New River Gorge.

I love that part of the country and would move there in a heartbeat if I had a family and work.  As a single fella, I would just spend my time climbing.

98_530467601568_2247_n.jpg

I've been visiting Fayetteville/Summersville for about 12-13 years now as well. What took you there? For me it was/is rock climbing at New River Gorge.

I love that part of the country and would move there in a heartbeat if I had a family and work. As a single fella, I would just spend my time climbing.98_530467601568_2247_n.jpg

Climbing. All over NRG and Summersville Lake. I was climbing professionally for a while, guiding and managing a gym.

I spent a few summers driving down every Sunday and coming back every Saturday. Roger's campground was a second home for a while too.

Then I got a real job after realizing sleeping in a tent 250 days a year was not gonna last forever. Then I got married and had a kid.... ;)

When the little guy gets older, I will start again. I miss it.

I am facing the facts that with Mr Christie down to his last 4 years (at most), we will be more screwed then ever once a Dem's becomes governor. Also, as I get older, I want the right to carry - it becomes more important with age. So, I am working on a 4 year plan to get the heck out of NJ (here's to Vlad G.'s inspiration!). I am looking at West Virginia which is a Shall Issue state.

Anyone familiar with the Morgantown WV area? (It is just south of the PA border and due south of Pittsburg). Good or bad impressions?

W. Virginia is gorgeous. Lots of very nice small towns. Morgantown is a typical college town. It's also very hilly. We were there in summer, 2012.

W. Va. is not the south! In the south, if you make eye contact with someone on the street they'll say hello or good morning. Didn't happen in Morgantown. Also, I heard that there are lots of pill addicts in W. Va. Not sure if that's true...

W. Virginia is gorgeous. Lots of very nice small towns. Morgantown is a typical college town. It's also very hilly. We were there in summer, 2012.

W. Va. is not the south! In the south, if you make eye contact with someone on the street they'll say hello or good morning. Didn't happen in Morgantown. Also, I heard that there are lots of pill addicts in W. Va. Not sure if that's true...

I strongly disagree. My family is from there and everyone waves at you when you drive by. At least its that way in the sticks.

It's probably different in the small towns. But there's no doubt that southerners are more friendly. Morgantown could have been somewhere in Pennsylvania, or even upstate NY. That was my impression.

I travel to Northern Florida a lot. I usually stay in the same place... a house in the woods within a small community. When I travel through the community, there are a lot of people walking or riding around in golf carts (a primary transport mode in that community).

Everyone waves! Even from their cars. And it's right near impolite not to wave back. 

It's funny. I was there over Halloween. And one had to be extremely careful driving because kids (and parents) still do door-to-door trick or treating after dark.

It's probably different in the small towns. But there's no doubt that southerners are more friendly. Morgantown could have been somewhere in Pennsylvania, or even upstate NY. That was my impression.

Could be because a huge percentage of the students in Morgantown are from NY and NJ although I have to say I met tons of friendly people in Morgantown. "Morgantown, WV, a drinking town with a football problem" Unfortunately our problem was the football team haha.

Could be because a huge percentage of the students in Morgantown are from NY and NJ although I have to say I met tons of friendly people in Morgantown. "Morgantown, WV, a drinking town with a football problem" Unfortunately our problem was the football team haha.

You're 99.997% correct. When I made the "eye contact" bet with my wife we were in the college section. Students everywhere. Most were probably from the North. That was a small, and unmathetmatical sample. 

OK so let's get this straight: People from W. Va. are friendly crack - heads?