BlueLineFish

Tracking devices

Cheating wife? Pain in the ass child? Lol

I think these devices that can be actively monitored are quite expensive.

Some cell phones can be monitored that way though. IPhone can.

Maybe his guns are dirty, they finally went to the range by themselves..LOL..

I've used these:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/trackport+gps+tracker.do

It plugs into the ODBII port under the dash - no work to install it instead of just plugging it in...usually.

They work great.  But there are 3 minor issues. 

• for some reason they designed these with visible LEDs.  You'll need black electrical tape to cover those
  • If the truck battery is removed, they will beep when first powered up.  It's just a quick beep and probably not enough to be found.
  • In about half the vehicles I've used these in, the OBDII port was close enough to the face of the dashboard that these stuck out where you could see them.  I've had to fabricate extension brackets to move the port back a few inches before I could use these.   That means about 10 minutes access to the vehicle. 

Otherwise, you can have these deployed in seconds.   Tracking is real time with about 1 minute latency.  It gives a record of all travel listing street names and directions.  It also records idle time and how long the vehicle was at that location.  It can map the travel route for any period of time that you choose.

My favorite feature:  you can draw geo-fences and  the system can alert you by text message or email if the vehicle enters or exits a geo-fence.  We have lost these in areas that did not have cell coverage but got them back when the vehicle returned to civilization. 

Do they own a smart phone? Do you have access to it? There are a bunch of companies that sell software that will allow you to monitor gps position, microphone, video, web traffic, etc.

http://www.mobile-spy.com/

http://www.stealthgenie.com/

Edit: And I'm sure you realize that unless you actually own the piece of equipment you install this on you are breaking the law. Hacking can get you up to 5 years I think.

I've used these:

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/trackport+gps+tracker.do

It plugs into the ODBII port under the dash - no work to install it instead of just plugging it in...usually.

They work great.  But there are 3 minor issues. 

• for some reason they designed these with visible LEDs.  You'll need black electrical tape to cover those
  • If the truck battery is removed, they will beep when first powered up.  It's just a quick beep and probably not enough to be found.
  • In about half the vehicles I've used these in, the OBDII port was close enough to the face of the dashboard that these stuck out where you could see them.  I've had to fabricate extension brackets to move the port back a few inches before I could use these.   That means about 10 minutes access to the vehicle. 

Otherwise, you can have these deployed in seconds.   Tracking is real time with about 1 minute latency.  It gives a record of all travel listing street names and directions.  It also records idle time and how long the vehicle was at that location.  It can map the travel route for any period of time that you choose.

My favorite feature:  you can draw geo-fences and  the system can alert you by text message or email if the vehicle enters or exits a geo-fence.  We have lost these in areas that did not have cell coverage but got them back when the vehicle returned to civilization. 

We used something like this at my old job... you can set up some pretty cool features with a program. You can set alerts for different things and different times of day. For instance you can program a text alert if the car is turned on or moved between a specific time, or set an alert for speeding. You can actually buy an extension or y harness for these.. the ones we had were tucked into the steering column.

I've tried a few of the magnetic under-the-car type.  Signal kept getting lost.  I don't know if I was using poor quality units or if the location - on the frame of the vehicle was the problem.  Switched to the under dash ones and have had no problems.

My DEA brother in law and I put one of those on the managers car at the local fried chicken place. I later found out the SOB put one of those underneath my Challenger and I had to confront him about it. I think he just took them from work.

My DEA brother in law and I put one of those on the managers car at the local fried chicken place. I later found out the SOB put one of those underneath my Challenger and I had to confront him about it. I think he just took them from work.

Um.. what? why? is that even legal?

are you looking to track vehicles/other property? or people? you mentioned live time tracking earlier....do you need live audio/video? or just gps coordinates?

looking to track property. No audio or video is needed. Just trying to find where something that is taken ends up and have the ability to follow it live

looking to track property. No audio or video is needed. Just trying to find where something that is taken ends up and have the ability to follow it live

rgr. there was a setup i was going to work on for our cap vehicles. it wasn't covert though. it simply plugged into the obd2 dlc. they had the ability to track livetime, and if the vehicle was moved while no one was monitoring, one could go into the system, and backtrack to whenst they were. it gave speed, engine runtime, etc.....

Um.. what? why? is that even legal?

Well, the guy is suspected of cooking blue crystal meth. My brother in law was recently shot by some cartel types and I'm stuck driving him around to various things including mineral collector shows.

Well, the guy is suspected of cooking blue crystal meth. My brother in law was recently shot by some cartel types and I'm stuck driving him around to various things including mineral collector shows.

Me thinks you need to get out of Season 4.